Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #1

City: Sydney
Thistle rudders

Hey Benn,
I noticed Tidahapah's thistle rudder.
Is it to your design, and what difference do you reckon it makes? Even though Flemingo has a thruster (I've never used one) maybe it will be sufficient, perhaps I should also explore fitting a thistle, or an articulated rudder.
Attached Images

eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Yes it is my own design.
When I was building Tidahapah I was at sea with Ampol as a Chief Engineer on their tankers and allso ashore as Superintendant Engineer for the fleet.
We had a schilling rudder on one of our product tankers and this was a minor adaption of their design. I had one of their engineers have a look at it whilst he was in Aus dioing an inspection for me on the tanker. His reccomendation was the under and over flow plates with the fishtale and it does give me better steerage when berthing etc. I have also increase my rudder angle to 40 deg port & stbd so this also helps.

If you have a stern, bow or both thruster all is good.
Me, I am single engine and no thrusters, I'm still getting better at it.
Articulated rudders are very good but also bring in another form of mechanics under water.
Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Yes it is my own design.
When I was building Tidahapah I was at sea with Ampol as a Chief Engineer on their tankers and allso ashore as Superintendant Engineer for the fleet.
We had a schilling rudder on one of our product tankers and this was a minor adaption of their design. I had one of their engineers have a look at it whilst he was in Aus dioing an inspection for me on the tanker. His reccomendation was the under and over flow plates with the fishtale and it does give me better steerage when berthing etc. I have also increase my rudder angle to 40 deg port & stbd so this also helps.

If you have a stern, bow or both thruster all is good.
Me, I am single engine and no thrusters, I'm still getting better at it.
Articulated rudders are very good but also bring in another form of mechanics under water.
Cheers
Benn
Thanks Benn,
I'll be spending a week on the boat with the Previous Owner learning about her (very for me) different characteristics.
I also noticed you use Propspeed. I've always used it, but my guys reckoned that Flemingo's lower revs would stop the coating action working properly - obviously not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02622 (640x361).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	12162  
Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Guru

No , best coating I have ever used usually get a couple of years out of a coating. never have to dive the boat before leaving for the north as the prop is usually clean.
Hauling Tidahapah at Lawries Marina Tuesday week. Should be out for a couple of days as I am just going to antifoul her and a couple of small touch ups on the gloss. International Copper Coat extra. been using this for tyhe last 5/6 years and so far has proved to be the best anti foul paint I have come accross for a timber hulled displacement cruiser.
Big gloss paint job comming up next year.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I do not understand the advantage of Thistle rudder has over a standard rudder that is a long oval in shape? Most fiber glassed rudder have an oval shape, so is the Thistle just a name for steel oval rudders?

The advantage of the articulating and fish tail rudder is increasing the response and being able to thrust the stern more the side with less forward motion. How ever the concern is the rudder would be too responsive, so maintaining a straight course would be difficult requiring hunting or small corrections. The Eagle when under way, 6 to 9 knots, very small helm corrects are required. When on auto pilot the pump is constantly, every 15 to 30 seconds making small 1 to 2 second corrections just enough to bring the bow around.

The prop walk in reverse is one thing I would like to reduce so the boat can back up straight, and make close maneuvering easier to the prop walk side. The Eagle prop walk is to port so turning to port is difficult, and that is where the bow thruster is mostly used. Using the prop walk and forward thrusting the stern to port the Eagle can be turned 360 degree going into forward and reverse. I read that a articulating and fish tail rudder reduce the prop walk, plus being able to thrust the stern to the side reducing the need for a bow and/or stern thruster.

FF mentioned that some of the Navy launches had a cone on the rudder, which countered the reverse prop walk and I think fish tailed. If I modify the rudder it would be a fish tail on the back trailing edged?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #6

Hello Phil, The advantage of the thistle (a UK design term for the shape as viewed from above), together with Ďfencesí at top and bottom is, apparently, that the rudder is much more efficient at slow speeds. When combined with increasing rudder angle, that allows the prop flow to be diverted to almost past right angle to the keel. That, together with the always predictable prop-walk, that makes the boat far more controllable.
Reports Iíve read say that there is minimal effect on handling at cruising speeds, and variations on this theme are in use everywhere in working boats, as well as Bennís Tidahapa.
As for prop-walk, Iím totally new to trawlers, but Iím used to relying on propwalk while manoeuvring alongside on my previous boat, a 46ft timber sloop, and couldnít get by without it.
I plan to try Bennís suggestion and adjust rudder stops to allow for 40 degrees of rudder and see how I go before thinking about a Thistle, or even an articulated rudder.
All will be revealed for me soon - Iíve got two weekís familiarisation with the new boat before passage back to Sydney.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Guru

John,
You may find that with a fish tale type rudder that your prop walk effect may be minimised. So one can back up in a fairly straight line.
The underflow and overflow plates are very important aspect of the rudder as they direct the water flow accross the rudder surface .

You may find that the existing set up on Flemingo will be to your liking and not require any modification.

Well it looks like my haul out on Tuesday is off the boil as I have been callled over to Port Headland to my new job on the tugs.
Will have to haul out early Sept now .
Cheers
Benn
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The prop walk can be an advantage, but it can also be a disadvantage, depending on which way you are maneuvering/turning. It would be nice to counter the prop walk when needed. Not fun backing down a long narrow water way. The best way I have found so far is to use the bow thruster to thrust the bow to port so boat back to stern at an angle to starboard to counter the prop walk to port. The Y or fish tail on the trailing edge would reduce the prop walk and to thrust the stern to the side reducing the forward motion.

However, the top and bottom plates might be an advantage of funneling the water? I have not read/heard much about the advantage of top and bottom plates?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Top and bottom plates act as damns

The top and bottom plates keep water from escaping vertically off the rudder. On sail boats that use them they are called damns. On my daughters single I find I can back fairly straight by placing the rudder in full lock position opposite the direction of prop walk. In her case to port to counter her prop walk to starboard.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Yea Scary,
I do that w Willy but need 2 or 3 knots of sternway to make it work.
Re the 40 degree swing I use 45 and don't have any thoughts of needing to modify my rudder. No tricks needed.
Top and bottom plates also add strength.

Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote