Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Sydney Westerly Winds

Friday - just been to the boat to check, and double up some lines. Wind gusts have been exceeding 100kmh and will do for another 24-36 hours,tending south west, so if you have any concerns, best check your lines. My marina seemed more sheltered than my house, but the gusts were still quite strong and jarring.
Westerlies are typical in August, but can be destructive, and varying 10-15 degrees in direction. There are trees down,electricity outages,property damage, airport partly closed, and snow is falling about 100km west of Sydney.
Someone reported having a bird blown into the house through the cat flap! As we say" blowing the oysters off the rocks". But by Sunday, it should ease.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 01:36 AM   #2
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
It came through here yesterday, Bruce. A few trees down but no serious damage. There's another front coming through on Sunday.
4-5 metre seas in the gulf, and up to 10 metre seas out in the Southern ocean at the moment. Not a good day for boating.

https://www.windy.com/?waves,-48.749,139.482,3,m:6Hah75
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

City: Hervey Bay
Was driving past Hardys Bay up on the Central Coast this afternoon and the wind was lifting big sheets of spray high into the air. No boats ashore so far which is good.
D.Duck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Guru

Wish I could copy and paste the www.seabreeze.com.au Sydney forecast for Saturday and Sunday, more for the scary wave height prediction than the wind itself, which looks like< 40 knots today. Maybe someone with better skills can do it.
I`m meeting a broker on Sunday at Booker Bay, he`s taking the ferry from Church Point to Booker Bay to meet up, I`ll be checking if the ferry, which crosses some open water, is operating.
Nothing to do with boating, but please spare a thought for the 7 year old Sydney boy separated from his mother in Barcelona in the terror attack. She is seriously injured,in hospital,the boy is missing. They were in Barcelona for a wedding, father is on his way from Australia to join the search. Hope is a kindly Spanish family took him in, but surely they`d have informed the Police by now. Hoping it turns out well, but it`s disturbing.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Took a look a the Seabeeze display for Sydney. First time that I've actually seen the brown (smelly shorts) arrows! No idea how to post the image either. Our winds are not as strong, but we have sizeable wave heights as well.

I saw it coming and retreated from the Bay back up river earlier in the week. Just getting shoved about a bit in the berth.

I did some a pic online of a sportfish boat (with tuna tower) on the beach somewhere in NSW, but there was no text about location.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
Guru

The westerly has come and gone, and the heavy seas are waning. Yesterday 10 metre wave height was recorded by wave height buoy off Sydney. A cruise ship leaving Sydney had windows broken by wave impact. Manly ferries crossing the Heads opening to the Pacific put on the usual rough weather display.
Ferries from Pittwater to Patonga which cross the open waters of Broken Bay 20 miles N of Sydney could not operate. The broker showing us a boat at Booker Bay had a 2 hour road trip instead of a 20 minute ferry ride.
I had mentioned the Aussie boy missing in the Barcelona terror attack. Sadly, Julian Cadman age 7, son of a Filipino Australian mother and English Australian dad, died in the attack, his scooter crushed nearby. His mother still in hospital the announcement was held until his father arrived in Barcelona for the identification. Too sad for words. Australia`s thoughts are with them.