Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
South Australian Cruising Boat

Hello all,
I’ve just signed up when I saw there was an Australian section to this forum. I’ve just returned to Adelaide and am looking for a new (old) cruising boat.

This is the wish list:
-30 – 36 ft; berths for at least 4, more is a bonus
-Preferably twin diesel, shaft drive; enough power to handle the conditions but displacement travel is ok;
-Classical styling, not all plastic.
-Good sized cockpit for fishing
-Something that won’t send me broke
-Something that would handle a cruise out to Kangaroo Island for a few days, or a bay hop to Port Lincoln with the family
-Budget up to $100,000

After considering everything from ex crayboats, to Bertrams, old Cresta’s, Clippers, motor sailers, imported mini Tugs and Egg Harbors, - I may have found what I’m looking for.
The boat is made by Ho Sing Motor Yacht Co (who I’ve never heard of) A fiberglass displacement hull with twin 120 hp Ford Lehmans and shaft drives. It is similar to a 34 ft Clipper, but with a bit more length, beam and draft. Nice fitout, although the teak decks may need some time spent on them.

My only concern - Would this old girl handle St Vincent Gulf wind and chop, and/or a 1 or 2 meter swell if she had to? I don’t expect a blue water passage maker, just something which will handle a sudden weather change.
Any info or opinions of Ho Sing Yachts would be appreciated.
Steve
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Welcome to TF.Sorry I can't be of any help on this boat.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Hi Steve, Welcome on board.
That`s a tough one. Without knowing the boat,or the sea conditions of St Vincents Gulf, it`s near impossible to answer, especially as you ask how it would withstand a "sudden weather change", which implies potentially severe wind and wave, greater than you describe.I`m aware the southern coastline can get severe weather,there being not much between it and the Antarctic, and the Gulf is open to southern weather. The fast catamaran ferry across to Kangaroo Island (KI), (likely of special interest to esteemed member RTF), can be an exciting experience.
You could try to find someone local with a similar hull on a similar size boat and ask them.Try a motor boat Club. A local marine surveyor (presumably you`ll use one for pre purchase check) should be able to advise you.I`d hope most semi displacement twin diesel cruisers would handle what you describe if they had to, but it`s a local thing,and the boat is unknown to me.I`ve done the 20 mile transit from Sydney to Broken Bay in worse. Operator skill is a component, so is the actual condition of the boat,as well as design and build quality.
The Cresta 32 has a good sea keeping reputation and is popular for offshore fishing,it was a good choice, so is the Masters 34,though it`s usually single engine. Neither would give you the accommodation fit out you describe.
If you think the decks need work, be careful. Are they teak planking on top, if so what`s happening underneath? Leaking decks are hard work and expensive, and should be carefully assessed at the pre purchase survey inspection. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Guru

I found a 1985 Ho Hsing 36 on "www. Boatpoint.com.au", there is only one, ditto on www.yachthub.com.au". It has a single Ford Lehman, an aft cabin, lavish carved teak fitout,nice looking boat, priced at 170K( seems a lot!) appears to have teak laid decks.There are no hull pics out of the water, the hull is flared at the bow, similar to my Island Gypsy. It`s what many call a "Taiwanese Trawler", design and quality varies builder to builder,boat to boat. I`ve an old article on these boats generally which I can send if you give me your email address. BruceK
Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
Hi Steve, I can't comment on the boat but I can on the area. I cruise these waters in a 65 foot trawler and have been very uncomfortable at times and even a little scared. At 36 feet you will be fine and will have a ball but be prepared to tell your crew "sorry not today" or "were staying another night" as I have done on occasions.
Adam
maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks for your input guys. Yes it is a typical Taiwanese trawler, with I expect would have standard teak deck issues. The owner tells me they are in good shape with no leaks but.... The boat is in Perth so I have only seen photo's so far, bit it appears very similar to the CHB Clippers. I'll definitely get a pre-purchase survey with extra attention paid to the decks.
My main safety concern with the walk around decks is getting water over the bow and it would run back and fill the cockpit, rather than running off the sides. The cockpit doesn't appear to be self draining. How is the water shed? Surely you don't have to open an engine hatch and let the bilge pump get rid of it. Is this an issue with this style boat, or am I missing something here? Or is this style of boat better to remain in water where this has no chance of ever happening.
I know this area enough to know that I don't know enough.
Steve
Old 07-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi Steve, welcome aboard the Downunder Bus. This vessel you describe sounds very like my Clipper 34, but a bit bigger all over. It's not Cheoy Lee 35 by any chance...? Probably not, because they have side decks that are flush with the cabin sides for more interior volume, but definitely have a draining cockpit. Anyway, based on what my boat can handle, I'd say it would be seaworthy enough, if in sound condition, to do what you want in sensibly chosen conditions. However, I am a bit puzzled by the reference to lack of cockpit drainage. Whether aft cabin or sedan, it should still have scuppers at intervals along the side decks and the cockpit - put it this way - I've never seen a trawler style boat without them, so maybe you are just not seeing them in the photos...? If you can give us a link, or post some of the photos we could comment further.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AusCan. Welcome aboard. I must confess, I know nothing of boating conditions in Aus or NZ but Mr. Bruce K's suggestion of "mining" local knowledge is spot on. I looked up the Adelaide area on Google maps. Looks to be a beautiful area although Mr. K again raises a valid point in that other than Kangaroo Island, your projected cruising area is open all the way to Antarctica! Cool...
Depending how good and consistent the Aus. weather service is and just how quickly the weather DOES and CAN change, you may be fine with the type of vessel you're considering.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Guru

Here's the link,

Ho Hosing - Capella: Power Boats | Boats Online for Sale | Fibreglass | Western Australia (WA) - Hillarys Perth

Peter - Maybe the photo's aren't high enough resolution, or maybe its my eyes, but I dont see any scuppers. That concerns me a little.

Mr Firefly - Yes it is a beautiful area, and I've learned to you have to respect the ocean out here. She got some power. I'm slowly getting to know her.
The Australian weather forecasting is usually good for 24 hrs, but after that its a guessing game.
Steve
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Guru

This one has photos of the cockpit. Still no scuppers.

Used Power Boats Capella 36 Clipper - Boats On Sale
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Great looking boat ! Interiors look excellent and exterior appearance also good. Scuppers MUST be there somewhere, ask broker to take photos of these specifically. Worry more about the screwed-teak decks AND state of fuel tanks, very likely black iron. Both need special attention by surveyor as if decks and fuel tanks are original, they are at or nearing end of working life....and replacement is expensive for each.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
Guru

As PeterB says, it definitely looks like a bigger Marine Trader/Clipper, so the hull design should be fine.If it didn`t have scuppers it would have sunk, they are there somewhere.
The twin FLs are a big plus. Price range seems fair. Maxhopper`s advice is good;thinking back,I`d be reluctant to do the crossing to KI in my IG36 unless very confident of the weather.The area lies in the region where sailing ships named the winds "the roaring forties",for giving fast passage across the southern coastline west to east.
For those in the US, KI is a fairly pristine farming island off the coast of the state of South Australia, famous for dairy products, honey,more koalas than it can accommodate, kangaroos,platypus, penguins, visiting whales,etc.
The Aussie chapter is growing. BruceK
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Guru

I had a closer look at some photos of other Ho Hsing's (I found a few variants of the spelling) and I definitely see scuppers. OK - I'm relieved. I can take a bit of water over the bow (not that I plan to with the windows of the average recreational trawler).
So I'll go ahead with the survey, looking closely at decks, fuel tank and window issues. All advice suggests the decks are probably the big one, especially in a climate like Perth or Adelaide. The hot dry summers would shrink the teak, then when the rain comes it gets into any crevice. And by the sounds of it, the work required in dealing with a leaky deck left too long is a nightmare.

Maxhopper; wise words about delaying whenever necessary. It may be possible for me to berth at Christmas Cove or American River and catch the ferry back, but usually my time is pretty flexible. I'm normally looking for excuses to hang around a bit longer.
I'll keep an eye out for you. You should be easy to spot. Now - that's a trawler you've got there. Where do you berth her?

Steve
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

south australian fishing boat (scuppers)

Click image for larger version

Name:	060.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	11958

Name:	059.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	11959

Name:	051.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	11960

Name:	050.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	11961

Name:	049.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	11962
these are the scuppers of the boat you are talking about,i went to hillarys this morning and took some pics. i saw the broker and got a key to the slip and the boat,i have some more pics but this old lappy don't like me.

gordon.
flashwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member

hi Steve. the boat has a small mast, boom,etc,maybe put up a steading sail.someone is working on the boat as the floor was up and blocking access to the front cabin.i asked about the draft as it seemed big at 5' 6" the broker did not know if it was correct or not but my bro's de fever 49 only draws 4' 6" he did say they draw more than other boats the same length.
Attached Thumbnails
052.jpg   053.jpg   055.jpg   056.jpg   057.jpg  

Old 07-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #16
Guru

Thanks Gord, Much appreciated.
What was your quick impression of the overall condition?
Hopefully there hasn't been too much water getting into the core below those decks.
There looks to be a few extra screws and plugs added over the years. I'll be able to look here over and get a survey in a few weeks when I get back to Australia. If all is well, we might have a deal.
Steve
Old 07-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

hi Steve don't know how you would wash your face in the sink in the head,i hope the top lifts up,i didn't check it out. also a pic of the only rope on a boat its that little bit on the bell.
gordon.
Attached Thumbnails
043.jpg   044.jpg   045.jpg   046.jpg   054.jpg  

042.jpg   058.jpg  
Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Aus Can,
Not to be to flippant, if you pick it up at Hillarys and sail it around to Adelaide accross the Bight you should have all thebugs and weak spots sorted bythe time you tie up at home.

Mate if the boat comes up well under survey and it is pretty solid, with caution and high regard for the seas and wind down your way it would suit you down to the ground.
As with all the Asian boatsit requires a VG survey and the possibility of doing some work to get it up to scratch.
I would most likely truck it accross to SA if you purchased it.
That Bight is one big bit of country.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Guru

Gordon, Thanks again mate.
Who needs a sink when you have a bath?

Benn- I'd be runnining with the prevailing wind, so once I ran out of fuel, I could string one of the bedsheets up on the mast. Keep an eye out for me Maxhopper!
I might have tried it 25 years ago, but i've learned a bit the hard way since then.
I think the 10 grand or so for trucking will be cheaper and safer (although not as exciting).
Steve
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
Gday Steve, Im over at Port Lincoln so I will see you floating past with your bed sheet up and go on and take the bite on, you only live once but this may shorten it.
My old girl is a bit hard to hide so if your over this way keep an eye out for an unusual looking prawn trawler.
Adam
maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adelaide, clipper, ho sing, south australia