Old 12-17-2012, 05:13 AM   #41
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
OK - slight change of tact.
I've downsized my expectations, as the "deals" on the 40footers are cheap for a reason. How surprising.

Comments on the latest boat I'm considering.
a Cuddles 30 (who come up with the name?)

These boats are sometimes criticized for being a bit "rolly", even with their bilge keel. It is rare to find a motorsailer version, though. I would expect the sails would assist in stabilizing any roll under power, and could also be used at anchor to align the hull in the most stable position.

I know it won't sit as flat as a hard chined planing hull, but I'm guessing it will do well in the 2-4 foot messy chop we often get around here?

BTW - she would only travel at displacement speed with her whopping 36 hp Volvo diesel. Being 30ft - maybe 5 1/2 knts?
Luckily I dont need to get anywhere in a hurry (unless I have to outrun a storm). The rounded stern should be good in a following sea which is handy as it may be a little underpowered in the odd occasion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuddles motor sailer.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	14793

Click image for larger version

Name:	cuddles hull.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	14794

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Auscan, I once co-owned a Cuddles (Resort) 35, (no mast or sail tho) and the hull is similar, just larger, and they are quite a good sea boat, the canoe type stern is a Scandinavian influence and is an asset in a following sea. With a sail I would think it would stabilize it quite well. They are known for being much more roomy that you would expect for the size. Our 35 could sleep 10, for example, with 2 separate double beds and two heads.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #43
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Mate,
I reckon that would be a great little buy.
Comfy, economical and affordable.
Don't ever think you will out run a storm. That is utter bull sh+t unless you are going to do 30 + knots.
better to just watch your weather, the Aussie BOM site is absolutely fantastic these days.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #44
Guru

I`ve seen Cuddles 30s,the hull looks right but I`m wondering if the cabin is a modification, or variant I`ve not seen. Either way it looks like a good answer to your needs.They roll,as you`d expect with the hull design.
My question mark is the 36hp. A friend with a Resort 35, Volvo (really a Perkins) 4cyl of around 65hp, contacted me from outside Sydney heads,(on a day he should never have been out there) saying he was returning, unable to make headway or fully control steering.
Benn, I also recommend <www.seabreeze.com.au> for weather forecasting.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #45
Guru

Yes Bruce - The cabin has reverse slanting helm windows and round windows on the side, which must be a modification for the motor sailer version. I like the look much better than the standard cuddle cabin.
And I agree with the concern about possibly being underpowered, although the sails give an extra degree of power/control. But if pushing into a big headwind it could be very challenging. Her sailing capability would be average at best.
Longterm, it may be worth repowering to something with a bit more grunt, which many cuddles owners seem to have done.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #46
Guru

I was trying to think of a boat the modified version resembles, I think it may be a Fjord motor sailor, though there may be a butt ugly more recent powerboat of the same name.
As the cabin is at least partly a modification, the integrity of it needs a careful scrutiny.
After a couple of years of ownership you`ll figure out the engine needs. I helped my Resort owning mate r&r his engine, the access was really good.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #47
Guru

Bruce - I don't know the Fjords (other than the fugly cruisers).
It resembles a Fisher 30 a bit. The Fishers are a nice blue water cruiser - but fairly hexy. Also similar is the old IP24 motor sailer. All have the rounded stern and a trawler style wheelhouse.
I'm guessing the Cuddles lacks the keel and sail area to have the sailing capabilities of these boats though.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #48
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Bruce,
Seabreeze is ok but they still get their info from BOM so I always opt for the source.
I am also a subscriber to Bouyweather which is pretty good but USA based.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 AM   #49
Guru

Hi Benn, Although Seabreeze use the same raw data as BOM, they seem to do more with it. When the weather is a real issue I look at both but usually find Seabreeze more accurate. The hour by hour wind/wave/swell predictions are useful.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 AM   #50
Guru

The seabreeze site is vey handy, particularly on days when you get four seasons in one day. Its very popular with sailers/surfers. But I do still watch the BOM site with their official warnings etc.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #51
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Hi Benn, Although Seabreeze use the same raw data as BOM, they seem to do more with it. When the weather is a real issue I look at both but usually find Seabreeze more accurate. The hour by hour wind/wave/swell predictions are useful.
Yep agree. Just change the colours as this was initially set up for wind surfers so shows high winds in green. I use it all the time and love it. Great for when I'm diving or fishing

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #52
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Two sites I find handy as a quick reference is; world wide buoy information http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/ For AIS marine traffic world wide Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

Full displacement with round/soft chimes are design to be rolley. The real question is how rolley. A comfortable roll is a 4 to 8 second period roll. The sail will dampen the roll just like it does on a sail boat. However, being the sail is far forward it will probable not help at anchor. But the house is back twoward the stern so it might not swing much anyway.

That is a really big Jack Rabbits you have there.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #53
Guru

Hi Phil - I'll try to take her for a test run on a rough day to see what sort of roll she gives, but I'm expecting it to be comfortable when cruising, just maybe more motion at rest with a beam sea. There's ways to deal with that though. In this area we dont have much for buoys or boat traffic. Lucky to see more than a couple boats all day sometimes, once you've left the marina. But yes - we have big jack rabbits. Hendo has a nice one.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #54
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Hi Phil - I'll try to take her for a test run on a rough day to see what sort of roll she gives, but I'm expecting it to be comfortable when cruising, just maybe more motion at rest with a beam sea. There's ways to deal with that though. In this area we dont have much for buoys or boat traffic. Lucky to see more than a couple boats all day sometimes, once you've left the marina. But yes - we have big jack rabbits. Hendo has a nice one.
Lol jack rabbits.

iPad Forum Runner
Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #55
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
What a wonderful boat. I'd probably prefer her to my Willard if it had my Mitsu engine. And this one isn't underpowered. You'll get top of 7+ knots and cruise of 6.5. The sails will be handy to reduce the roll or necessary as you see it but the roll won't be a problem w the main up and will also keep the bow from falling off in a beam wind.

If this cuddly boat is priced right and in good shape BUY HER.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #56
Guru

Thanks for your vote of confidence Eric. We don't have the same choice of boats here in Oz as in the US but I reckon this girl has some nice lines. The prices are a fair bit higher too.
We must have similar tastes, as I really like those Willards.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #57

City: Sydney
AusCan, I stumbled across this forum via a google search and have read it with interest and had to join and reply. I am very keen to see the final boat choice! I have a Cresta 32 with twin Mercruiser Petrols. The Cresta is a heavy solid deep V boat and with the high bow handles rough weather very well. Very expensive to run in petrol however. Ours is the flybridge model and has a great deck for fishing but much smaller accomodation than the Cuddles 30. Originally we wanted a Mariner 31 but I really like the solid construction and handling of the Cresta compared to the Mariner.

My father bought a Cuddles 30 a few years back which he bought from North NSW, we sailed her back down the coast on a choppy day. I'm ex Merchant Navy and have never been sea sick before but I was! I think a tumble dryer would have been more comfortable. That being said, I felt safe the whole time and she handled it very well. It was a choppy day and we should not have really been out in that weather. 2-3m+ seas and swell, 25knot plus winds. She does a little over 5.5 knots flat out with a 30hp engine. So cheap to run though especially compared to the Cresta. The Cresta will use more on one weekend than the Cuddles in 6 months!

I'll watch with interest to see what you finally purchase !
Cresta32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #58
Guru

Welcome - Cresta. - and thanks for the input. Cresta or Cuddles both seem to be well designed boats to handle the conditions, but in different ways.

Just wondering - how do you feel your Cresta would handle the conditions like you had with your father's boat? (2-3m+ seas and swell, 25knot plus winds)

BTW - I'm just about to make an offer on the Cuddles, but I have a back up plan if we can't agree on price.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #59

City: Sydney
Very good question. The Cresta would have handled that nicely but it would mean pushing hard into the chop and really burning a lot of fuel. In my opinion in the really heavy chop the Cresta is best just onto the plane pushing through, she really is good for that and loves it! Our Cresta has above water exhausts and is also noisy. I would happily do the trip again in the quiet Cuddles for $50 as opposed to $1500 in the Cresta ! The consumption difference is truly that much. (I would just take sea sick tablets!)

My Dads Cuddles is the "common" version, not like the one you have found but is still so roomy and comfortable. The Cuddles is far more comfortable than the Cresta in that respect.

I do know that they were both designed with different intent and both are excellent.

Good luck with the offer! I highly recommend the Cuddles but love my Cresta.
Cresta32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #60
Guru

Offer accepted, survey arranged for Thursday. I'm expecting to find blisters, being manufactured in humid Brisbane in the mid 80's, but I don't see it as a big deal. It might allow me to negotiate a bit more off the price and I can deal with the blisters whenever I have her on the hard for a a while.
Cresta - I did consider a Cresta; although there are none in SA and very few in Vic. I looked at one in NSW but it was rough. Re-powered with Nissan diesels that didn't really fit properly. Window frames rotted out etc. If I found a decent one I may have gone that way. I really like the look of the (later?) Cresta's with the broken shear line.
How about posting a photo of yours?

Tags
adelaide, clipper, ho sing, south australia