Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Slowly to Mooloolabah

Guys: Aquabelle left Bobbin Head on Pittwater on 25 March. Day cruising only, first night in Coal Shaft Bay, western side of Broughton Island. Second night in Laurieton/Camden Haven anchorage. Third night in Trial Bay (very uncomfortable with established NW swell). Next night at Coffs Harbour. Then Yamba. Family joined at Yamba and we cruised the mighty Clarence over Easter...very impressed with pontoon facilities all along the river, strategically placed outside pubs! Drove back with family to Sydney. Will drive back to Yamba in a week or so and go on to Southport (overnight in Byron Bay), where family will re-join and then we'll take a week to get up to Mooloolabah.

I plan to use the Canaipa Passage route....suggestions on good anchorage & swimming spots along the way? Any other tips for the Southport-Mooloolabah stage?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Its been a while since I had a boat in those waters, but check if you have any reciprocal rights from your home club with the Little Ship Club at Dunwich, North Stradbroke Island. Some anchorage there, dingy to Club pontoon. A great option to the marinas at Manly, which are also very good.

I'm jealous - still a week or so from re-launch, but my refit is coming together nicely.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Aquabelle, if you are coming inside the Bay and want to take your time going up inside, then it would be easiest to come up the main channel past Jacobs Well, and where I am at Horizon Shores, then continue on up and then duck across to north Straddie via the channel between Karragarra and Macleay Islands, quite a nice stopover in itself. Canaipa passage has some rather shallow spots, one in particular just south of the first green beacon as you come past the Slipping Sands anchorage. No 120 in the guide below.
Ideally grab a recent copy of the Beacon To Beacon map guide, if you can, as there is more info in there re the anchorages. Any service station or bookshop would have it.

Once over near north straddle, (past the Eric Early Light), then straight up to Peel Island is a nice trip. If you stop off at the Price Anchorage, 109, (you would get in at anything above half tide I think), you might see turtles and/or Dugong. The next stopover above that is the Blaksley Anchorage, 105, which is good for a day stop and swim, (nice beach), but dodgy for overnight, as is Peel unless very settled Northerly weather forecast. If weather doubtful, then yes, the One Mile near the little Ships club, 96, as Insequent mentioned, and it is quite sheltered from NE throught to SE, but Myora, 94, a bit further along has more room and better protection from the South. Then you can loop back down to Peel, and pass East of it and head north, ( take it from me, the Rous Channel is not a shortcut), where you have options of Manly, (they have pump out fac), Green Island 90, or St Helena, 87, then it's a fairly long leg to get up to Tangalooma, 75, (about a couple of hours maybe), which is your last anchorage, behind the wrecks, before you exit the Bay heading North to Mooloolabah. Benn might chime in with some specific info re entering Mooloolabah, this being his home port, and I have never gone up that far...?

But definitely try to get a Beacon to Beacon if you can, it helps a lot even with a good GPS. The numbers for the anchorages I added above relate to this guide book. The chips go out of date quite quickly in this Bay and that guide is updated every year, and has helpful, overhead photos of the anchorages etc.
The current latest is 9th edition I think. From 7 up would still be ok, however if someone offered you one. The bookshops and chandleries, and servos all have the latest of course.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Aquabelle,
Mate , heading north from Southport on the inside I would definitely use the main channel.
As stated previously use the "Beacon to Beacon" best guide going.
Having just taken Tidahapah down to the Gold Coast City Marina from Mooloolaba I found this track has the most water. Still a bit dodgey around Jacobs Well, ( I draw 5'8")
Depends how quickly you want to transit but I did Mooloolaba to The Sandhills just south of Tangalooma 1 st day and Sandhills to Soverign Island the next.
All pretty good if using the tide.
My preference for departing the Bay for Mooloolaba is to use the East Channel at the top of Moreton as opposed to the main shipping channel, this gives you a good straight run across to Point Cartwright
The entrance to Mooloolaba is pretty good again after a prolonged bar build up but I would still work the top end of the tide for comfort.
Sorry I will miss you but will be down the GCCM for a few months but hope to head north in August once all the work is completed or I run out of money.
have a safe trip.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Guru

Thanks for the advice & I will certainly pick up a Beacon to Beacon copy (I have been using Alan Lucas' 'Cruising the Coral Coast' for home planning in Sydney.) I have 5 days to make the passage if need be. Aquabelle draws 4'7" / 1.5m. Benn, what are the holding tank rules for the area?
thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
Guru

Mate here are the basics for Qld.

A summary of the discharge requirements for the various grades of treated sewage is below.
( )Grade C is the lowest level of treatment and may be discharged in all waters outside of prohibited discharge waters provided that such discharges occur more than ˝ nm (926 m) from sensitive areas (that is a person in the water, aquaculture fisheries resources (such as an oyster lease), or reef).
( )Grade B is a higher level of treatment and may be discharged outside of prohibited discharge waters provided that discharges occur more than 700 m from sensitive areas (that is a person in the water, aquaculture fisheries resources (such as an oyster lease) or reef).
Grade A is the highest form of sewage treatment and in recognition of this fact, there are no precautionary discharge distances applicable (where discharge is allowed). Therefore, Grade A treated sewage may be lawfully discharged into all waters outside of prohibited discharge waters. Grade A sewage treatment systems allow the greatest flexibility for vessel operators to comply with the various sewage discharge requirements.
Vessel-sourced sewage discharge restriction maps ( Vessel sewage discharge restriction maps (Maritime Safety Queensland) ) have been developed showing the various nil and prohibited discharge waters for several popular boating destinations in Queensland.
( ) It should be noted that the practice colloquially known as ‘bucket and chuck it’ (that is using a bucket for a toilet and then transferring the contents into the water) is a discharge of untreated sewage. As such, to be lawful, any discharge of this type must occur outside of nil discharge waters for untreated sewage.

Finding Marinas with pump out facilities is hard.
Mooloolaba Marina does have a pump out unit that can be brought out to your vessel for a small fee.
probably easier to go out the river to sea and pump out.

Cheers
Benn
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #7

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler
Benn

Just changing the location for a moment

Can you get into Tee Bar Creek and Kauri Creek in the Sandy Straits?

I haven't had my current boat into Tee Bar

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Worldwide, ya gotta love TF...just sayin'
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I know what you're saying RTF...it is what makes it special.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Guru

Allan,
Kauri you can go a fair way up.
I draw 5'8' and can get nearly up to the Army area.
But really good down around the House boat moorings and across from the mouth of the 1 st creek on your port side.
Tee Bar I am not so sure have not bothered to try.
Cheers
Benn
Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Guru

UPDATE: left Yamba & as planned, o/nighted in Byron Bay then on to Southport. Good to very good conditions at sea. Shocked by what a zoo the Southport basin has become...out of control surely. Then with help from Peter & Benn, took the Main Passage north to Redland Bay/Russell Is., then east across to N Stradbroke Is. Found the Price and Blaksley anchorages; landed at the Small Ships Club at Dunwich (thanks Insequent) and took a good walk around Dunwich itself. Then on to Myora for overnighting in a very good anchorage. Next day moved on to Tangalooma and overnighted near the Wrecks: very uncomfortable and to avoid a mutiny by Admiral & Ships Girl, spent next day/night at The Sandhills....hugely better. Then along western side of Moreton Is to Bulwer, before heading across to Mooloolaba where Aquabelle is now safely berthed in Yacht Club Marina. Fly/drive back to Sydney later today and begin planning the return & passage north to Tin Can Bay & further north. We have had a week of perfect Qld weather and cruising conditions.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Guru

Glad to see you have arrived.
I won't be home until the 17 th May, will you still be there?
I will come up to Mooloolaba for the weekend and then head down to the Gold Coast City Marina where Tidahapah is having her mini refit.
Hope we catch up.
By the way what berth are you in mine is D 30
If you are on D finger you will find the locals very friendly, Peter on Sebranza, Bruce & Mona and Alex and not to forget Dave (Simmo) on Calypso a De Fever 49.
Cheers
Benn