Old 05-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #1

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
remote area communications

IridumGo..........any one using this in Aussie or elsewhere in the world ?

What are your thoughts?

How much are you spending to get the basic wind reports

Tech. guy told me this is easy and simple to use with your everyday exisiting mobile/cell phone.

Costs. Tech says at $1.50 per 30 seconds I need 3 minutes to get the basic weather info.........

What do you guys use when out beyond coverage.

I have looked at H.F. radio - too complicated, bulky and initial cost.

regards.

bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #2

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
We (or rather, my gal) use ham radio. Can talk to anywhere in the world most evenings. The skip off the water from the boat is worth 5 to 10X what you can do with a power amp on land. 10/12 watts and a decent antennae works pretty good.

No charge for minutes.

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #3

Yes,
Agreed, the radio is by far the cheapest after buying, installing, learning, registering etc.
Out of interest what unit are you using and aerial/antenna arrangement do u have and do you use an antenna tuner?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
If you just want winds and weather you can use the Delorme InReach
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Added a Garmin Inreach to the boat last month. Like the satellite tracking and text messaging. Not as fast as cellular texting, but very reasonable.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Wxx3......did u use the Inreach weather reports while out in the middle of the Atlantic .........

Oc Diver......have you used the weather reports
Old 05-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
We use a KVH mini Vsat satellite system

If you need phone and internet, pretty much anywhere in the world this is the system to have.

We have the smallest unit, which provides 2mbps download, and crystal clear voice, even in Alaska.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No, I haven't used the weather report. They all lie anyway.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #9

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Out of interest what unit are you using and aerial/antenna arrangement do u have and do you use an antenna tuner?
Bog,

Some info on that from my gal below. She has used a portable beam that was setup on the forward deck (barely visible in my avatar pic) and a simple wire dipole running over the top of my boat bow to stern. Antennae tuner was in a small box. A big power amp that was run once caused feedback into the boat's thruster wiring and the boat spun around the anchor buoy when she keyed the mike!

Begin quote>>
For someone who is looking for an emergency rig that fits in a small pelican case, I would recommend either the Elecraft KX3 or KX2 (KX2 is smaller) 10-15 watts with built in tuner, two 100ft rolls of 18ga stranded wire a bnc to banana plug adapter, a lithium 12 volt battery (for when you have no power) power cables and microphone.

Beyond that, more permanent installation requires much more thought. Things to consider include: a sail boat or a power boat provide different antenna options, how much power should you run (100 watts), How to deal with near field RF getting into your boat power and boat electronics, what kind of RF ground (aware of galvanic issues), How much RF noise does your boat generate (inverters, chargers, ignition etc). Don't forget, you NEED A LICENSE!

<<<End quote

She is 50 year ham radio operator, top dog in her hobby. Was down your way last fall for a ham radio contest out on Chatham Island, east of New Zealand.

If you want more info (and believe me, she is loaded with info) send me a PM and I'll put you in touch. She designs antennas, among other things. Hope that helps! Cheers!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #10

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
If you just want winds and weather you can use the Delorme InReach
I'd be wanting to know the source and reliability of the weather modeling used.

Different models give entirely different predictions. On one recent coral sea passage a model used by one weather source said strong winds whereas the model used by Australian meteorologist and their local knowledge had it as calm to 10 knots which is what we had.

Various internet weather sites would say one thing, looking out the window showed something completely different.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #11

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1994 Carver 390
Out of range of what? Cell phone coverage. Does Oz have Globalstar? Off western North America I had coverage with it out past 200nm. Telephone rates good and download rate was decent without having big up front costs associated with other satellite service providers. I was fortunate in that I had a loyalty plan cuz I stuck with them when their satellite constellation was reduced and service was terrible. More recently they are back to great coverage and I had unlimited air time for about $60 per month .
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #12

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Flat out getting 30 miles offshore if lucky in Australia.
Most will have no reception at all
Yes, we have sat phones, which global star is but coverage is not 100% and costs are horrific

Globalstar Australian Coverage
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
How far up the coast of WA are you going, mate? Or are you planning a trip across the bight?

I can get VHF coverage for BOM weather reports along almost all of the SA coast out about 20-30 km, other than along the bight. Much of it is just volunteer stations, but they do pass on the weather reports. Its often patchy close to the coast, but better out a couple kms. A high mounted antenna certainly helps.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Iridium GO is the ticket for offshore weather, data and phone coverage. Globalstar id absolute crap here in Australia.
I have my GO connected via Predict Wind who give good predictions and weather routing.
various plans available but the $109.00/month (not absolutely sure of price) does the goods for all voyaging in the pacific and Australisia.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Any radio using Iridium will work as long as there is clear sky view. The interesting reality is that it always has problems in cities with tall towering buildings (urban canyons). Their network covers the entire earth, pole to pole.

Radios that use GlobeComm and other satellites with a designated footprint will only work when you are in an area covered by a satellite.

Before you buy anything but Iridium, check the satellite coverage footprint.

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #16

O.K. a couple of questions need answers.
Ease of operation is a big factor....don't want to have to build a radio shack just to get the wind and warnings.

thx guys for input so far....iridium go and inreach seem the best option so far.....they both are really just a fancy sat.wifi device and make things simple via the existing mobile/cell that we use everyday.

Auscan.....I'm going into the Kimberley region for months. I bought a good Icom VHF and going to mount one of those nice big fibreglass antenna on the roof, but I know it won't receive out in the 'never never'.

Simi 60.....I agree about quality of reports....the difference between some if well............fatal !!
I would be most happy to get the BOM site up daily and go with that. (somehow)

Tidahapah.....thx for the message, also the tech guru said Predictwind was the most favoured by his customers.

Nightsky.......here in Australia we have huge amounts of country with non-existing coverage. The Kimberley is truly frontier stuff.

stubones99......can u expand on the word "radio" you refer to. Are you talking some type of receiver like ssb. ?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #17
Guru

Bog the radio is any satellite receiver hardware.

Note the limited coverage:
https://www.globalstar.com/en/index....101&sidenav=85

Satellite Coverage - Globecomm

inmarsat is second best in satellite coverage with just about everything but the poles.
Our coverage - Inmarsat

and Iridium is everywhere with their LEO network of satellites with always 2-3 satellites overhead
My favorite was the Iridium 9575 Extreme phone that could also do slow speed data.

There are several on the way though;

Outernet uses an SDR and your laptop to receive their satellite broadcasts.

SpaceX is planning a ton of LEO satellites that should cover the earth better than Iridium and provide high speed internet with lower latency than Iridium and probably cheaper but that's at least 2 years out.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #18

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
IridumGo..........any one using this in Aussie or elsewhere in the world ?

What are your thoughts?

How much are you spending to get the basic wind reports

Tech. guy told me this is easy and simple to use with your everyday exisiting mobile/cell phone.

Costs. Tech says at $1.50 per 30 seconds I need 3 minutes to get the basic weather info.........

What do you guys use when out beyond coverage.

I have looked at H.F. radio - too complicated, bulky and initial cost.

regards.
I installed Iridium Go for my recent cruise down to Tassie. The running cost was approx $130 Per Month for unlimited data and 2 mins voice - no fixed contract. It works well for me with email and voice, taking around 12 mins to download PredictWind files - hence the need for the unlimited data plan.

Some reckon the need for a smart phone is a hassle, but for me it's not nearly as bad as trying to message using the tiny keys on the Delorme.

I have a mast mounted antenna, but the Iridium Go unit itself can be easily demounted to take ashore or use anywhere with its own antenna and internal battery.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:23 AM   #19
Guru

One more thing...

If anyone calls your satphone with their phone or cell phone, they get hit with a surcharge from $8-$14 per minute. Why? Because they can, and no Govt. agency has stopped them yet.

So, for the few people you want to be able to call your Iridium number, use two stage dialing. You call the number in New Mexico and enter your Iridium number and it rings the phone through.
Iridium 2-Stage Dialing Instructions

If your phone was purchased or supported through Satcom Direct, they offer another option called a global one number service that can ring your home, cell or sat phone with no surcharges. https://www.satcomdirect.com/product...al-one-number/

No affiliations with any of these vendors or Iridium.

stu
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
One more thing...

If anyone calls your satphone with their phone or cell phone, they get hit with a surcharge from $8-$14 per minute. Why? Because they can, and no Govt. agency has stopped them yet.

So, for the few people you want to be able to call your Iridium number, use two stage dialing. You call the number in New Mexico and enter your Iridium number and it rings the phone through.
Iridium 2-Stage Dialing Instructions

If your phone was purchased or supported through Satcom Direct, they offer another option called a global one number service that can ring your home, cell or sat phone with no surcharges. https://www.satcomdirect.com/product...al-one-number/

No affiliations with any of these vendors or Iridium.

stu
Hmmm

Not all satphone systems are like that.

My KVH satellite phone has a Washington state USA phone number.

No incoming charges to anyone except possibly Long Distance. I get charged $0.49 per minute with no other Long Distance fees within the Unted States.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote