Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Queensland Floods

Some terrible stuff is happening here at the moment, and there has been loss of life, with people swept away in cars, destroyed houses, and general mayhem, and one's heart goes out to these people and their families.* For a boater, one poignant image which affected me a lot was the vision of not only pontoons and even whole marina berths with boats still attached sweeping downriver, but one of a lone CHB 34, clearly unable to manoeuvre, being swept sideways down the river with the skipper apparently helpless inside.* I only hope he got her running in time to avoid the many bridge pylons he was fast approaching, but his fate has been lost in the overwhelming deluge (literally) of other flood disaster dramas.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Queensland Floods

Quote:
Peter B wrote:

Some terrible stuff is happening here at the moment, and there has been loss of life, with people swept away in cars, destroyed houses, and general mayhem, and one's heart goes out to these people and their families.* For a boater, one poignant image which affected me a lot was the vision of not only pontoons and even whole marina berths with boats still attached sweeping downriver, but one of a lone CHB 34, clearly unable to manoeuvre, being swept sideways down the river with the skipper apparently helpless inside.* I only hope he got her running in time to avoid the many bridge pylons he was fast approaching, but his fate has been lost in the overwhelming deluge (literally) of other flood disaster dramas.
Peter,

Oh my, what*a disaster of monumental proportions.* Because of the events in the US, we are only getting a glimpse of the scope of the problem.* It is devastating, and I applaude the Aussie spirit.* I can only send condolences and maybe a contribution to a worthy recovery organization.* If you know of one and where to send, please post it.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Thanks Don. Your comments have prompted me to place this on the main board, as I think it merits wider coverage. I had not thought initially of people in the US wanting to help, silly me.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic

Peter,* Take care. I hope things will improve soon. Keep up the good work.*
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote