Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #1

City: Sydney
Queensland Cruise Ideas

I've finally managed some time to come up to S.E. Queensland for a quick ”degustation” cruise and I’m looking for local knowledge re must-sees, must misses; anchorages, eateries, etc.

I’ll need a transport-handy berth suggestions to embark non-nautical guests for easy overnight and day trips on the Broadwater and/or Moreton Bay.

It’s a very short cruise – I reckon 3-5 days Sydney to Broadwater, 10ish days in the general area, then 5 days back to Sydney via Coffs & Pt Stephens, so I understand we can’t cover too much.

If time can be stretched, I’ll also try for a boys’ own recce run to Mooloolaba, Tin Can Bay, Fraser Island, Sandy Strait, and Hervey Bay.

We're 50+ft with 6ft draft, so limited gunkholing.

Any local input would be a great help, thanks.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
John,
I would weigh in but Moreton bay is not my stamping ground. The top half I know reasonably well. The anchorages at the Sandhills ( Big and Small ) are superb and so is Tangalooma itself, in behind the wrecks. Good when there are no crowds as otherwise every man and his dog tries to get in there. peel Island and Deanbilla bay are also good with access to Dunwich to go ashore for fresh bread etc.
A copy of Beacon to Beacon is a must. As important as Alan Lucas's books and 100 Magic Miles are when heading further north.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #3

Thanks Benn,

Got the books, but I'll only go north of Moolooaba with a more experienced mate.

Is the Wide Bay Bar a major challenge?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Sandhills & Tangalooma look great thanks Benn.

The more I read the more I think we'll be hanging around Moreton Bay. The was boat designed for it after all!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Guru

Wide Bay Bar has a terrible reputation but as long as it is treated with respect, go in and out on the flood tide and also at least 2 to 3 hrs after the bottom of the tide in reasonable weather it is good.
The inner leg aka the washing machine can be a bit rough but it is only 1 mile long.
The other thing is to contact the Tin Can Bay Coast Guard for the latest co ordinates for the 3 entrance way points.

Sometimes to kill time I will go around Double Island Point and anchor up, a most pleasant place to stop for a bit of a rest.

If all goes to plan I will be heading north again next year after the Tassie Wooden Boat festival.

Cheers
Benn
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 AM   #6

Thanks Benn

Speaking of the Wooden Boat Festival, are you entering?
I reckon Tidahapah and Flemingo would look pretty good together.

The registrations open on Monday 28.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
Guru

Hanging out for April 28th
PM me with what you put on your boat description. I have just about got mine together but you have done it before so would have a better idea.
I will PM you what I have done so far for a second opinion.

Cheers
Benn
Old 04-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Guru

John,
Peter B will have a far better idea re marinas down the south end of the Bay and Southport area so if he is looking he may be able to help.
I think there are plenty to pick from.

Cheers
Benn
Old 04-29-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Just come up on this exchange. Yes, I can help with the marinas further south in the bay John. There are several down at Southport - including Marina Mirage, Southport Yacht Club etc. Best to google them for phone numbers, but they have visitor berths for sure. Then a bit further north of there is Runaway Bay Marina - definitely visitor berths there and good road access again. Up a bit further you have the Coomera River and up there a nm Sanctuary Cove - and further upriver again, the marina where Benn had all his recent work done, at Gold Coast City Marina. Road access, fuel, & visitor berths both places, but less easy and more expensive to get taxis from those ones.

I would recommend by-passing my Marina and that at Calypso Bay, because although we have fuel, they are remote by road.

Further North the best one for facilities and city access is at Manly, tucked inside Green Island, which is a reasonable overnight anchorage as well - watch the depth though. Here you have the Royal Queensland Yacht Squadron & the Moreton Bay Boating Club, full facilities including pump-out, and fuel etc and good access to the more southern parts of the city.

The heading out from behind Green Island, you can cut past St Helena, and curve round to the main shipping channel thence up to Rivergate Marina. Again, has full facilities and good access to the city, but hey, don'tt stop there - the river is really worth a trip up to take in the city in its own right. There is a good anchorage near the Garden Point and a dinghy jetty for those wishing to step off right into virtually the city heart. A cruise up to at least the University of Qld is really interesting - the ladies love it in particular. Paul of Aquabelle would confirm that, I know…

Then, from the river mouth, you are heading in the right direction to head of rthe sandhills and where Benn covered things well. Although a night at the sandhills is better than behind the wrecks - it is affected by swell and often rather rocky in a movement sense. Good day anchorage though to take in the resort of Tangalooma.

Ok, tour over really. But we are proud of our Bay, and love to share it. I only hope I did not come in here too late for you.
Cheers and happy sailing, and good luck at the Tassie Festival.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #10

Thanks very much for such a thorough template Peter!

I’ll definitely give Brisbane a go and leave further north for next time - perhaps in company with Tidahapah after the Hobart Festival.

So, my current thinking is Gold Coast for first crew change, a week in Moreton Bay and crew shuffles in Brisbane, then back south via Gold Coast at the end of June.

Maybe we can catch up with a glass or two on your lovely Bay in the first week of June!

Cheers, John
Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
TF Site Team

Sure thing. We are now getting into what we regard as the best time of rthe year for real cruising in these parts. The days are shorter, yes, but the night temps good for sleeping and day temps good for everything but maybe swimming. The mossies are largely gone, the fish are still out there I'm told, (except they see me coming), and you don't feel you have to escape the sun. The winds usually lighter than summer as well. And...less boats out there...
So, for sure, if you know a weekend when you will be in the vicinity of the southern half of the bay, PM me and we might be able to link up. Actually, one good place to do that, even if we can't make it is at Calypso Bay, the Irish Tavern there has a floating jetty visitors are welcome to tie at for a drink or meal or both, of course. We have done that quite often. There is room for at least two large vessels. Use the Beacon to Beacon to get there.
Cheers,
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #12

Thanks again for all the info, Bruce.

I'll put Calypso Bay and Irich Tavern on the list.

cheers, John
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
TF Site Team

Bruce - where/which Bruce..?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:05 PM   #14

A thousand apologies Peter!

I've no idea where Bruce came from.

cheers, John
Old 05-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #15

Just arrived in Southport after a non-stop run from Sydney.

67 Hrs at continuous WOT on the dear old Gardner! Plenty of oil sweat, but no blood or tears.

Now for a long sleep and a crew change, followed by a month randomly exploring Moreton Bay, Brisbane River, Great Sandy Strait, and Tin Can Bay.

Big thanks to Benn and Peter B for your suggestions.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #'s 13/14...

Old 05-28-2014, 09:13 PM   #17

Perfect Timing RTF!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Fair dinkum mate.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #19
Guru

John
I am home in about 2 weeks if you are heading up to Tin Can give me a ring.
Are you calling into Mooloolaba?
Hope to catch up.
Tidahapah is in Mackay but I won't be going up straight away.
Cheers
Benn
Old 05-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #20

I'll let you know as it unfolds, Benn.

All depends on crew timing - the only definite is that I have to take the boat back to Sydney in the first week in July.