Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,354
Purchase and import boat to Australia

Due to the lack of good clean young suitable boats that can be purchased locally I'm looking at my options to purchase OS . My question to fellow Australians and others is what are the pitfalls and problems I my encounter purchasing from Europe of America. My best estimate so far is to just x 3 $$$ then look forward to a s#@t a fight with Australian shipping and customs .
__________________
Advertisement

gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 04:48 AM   #2
Guru
 
Tidahapah's Avatar
 
City: Mooloolaba
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,779
With our dollar value at the moment I wouldn't be looking at imports.
Search the forum as there has been some previous discussions on importing boats.
In my opinion there are plenty of good boats available in Aus, just depends what you are willing to pay.
Cheers
Benn
__________________

__________________
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them"
Money: It's made round to go round , not flat to stack.
"Get out and do it"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hickers's Avatar
 
City: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 148
I purchased and imported a BW 280 as there were non available here from Florida and it was a straight forward process. Suggestions, buy a late model through a corporate broker like marinemax and appoint an Aussie based company to manage the import process from pick up in the U.S. to delivery in Australia. Prices varied a lot and many under quote on the freight by using lower cubic measurement which is checked by the actual shipping company. I used Justin from Portsea and they were great. Cost under $20k to get it here plus gst. I also engaged an independent survey and had them present at the handover from the dealer to the shipping agent. Pm if you need Justin's number.
Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brisyboy's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickers View Post
I purchased and imported a BW 280 as there were non available here from Florida and it was a straight forward process. Suggestions, buy a late model through a corporate broker like marinemax and appoint an Aussie based company to manage the import process from pick up in the U.S. to delivery in Australia. Prices varied a lot and many under quote on the freight by using lower cubic measurement which is checked by the actual shipping company. I used Justin from Portsea and they were great. Cost under $20k to get it here plus gst. I also engaged an independent survey and had them present at the handover from the dealer to the shipping agent. Pm if you need Justin's number.

Was there much involved in converting from 110v to 240v? What did you do about the generator?

Oh, and the fact that it was Left Hand Drive - was that an issue plus doesn`t the water drain anti clockwise down a drain in the northern hemisphere and vice versa down here. Did you have to change any of the plumbing?
__________________
George
Brisbane
IG 36 Europa
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Guru
 
Insequent's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,426
Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Back when we could get US 105 cents for our dollar. Now, at around US 70 cents i would not be doing it. Basically 50% more, not just for boat but also for shipping which is typically set in US$.

Its easy. Use someone such as Aurora Global Logistics, no drama or fights needed. Much less devaluation of our dollar against the Euro, so I would look there first even though the prices and depth of market are not as good as the US.

When I did it, local boats I was interested in were older and in poorer condition but cost the same as buying in the US plus shipping/import cost. Best idea is to use it for at least one season where you buy it before bringing it back.

There will not be any recovery in our dollar anytime soon, and you can get old quickly by waiting for things to get better! So to me its simple - if you want to do it and have the cash, then go do it.
__________________
Brian
Insequent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,670
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Due to the lack of good clean young suitable boats that can be purchased locally I'm looking at my options to purchase OS . My question to fellow Australians and others is what are the pitfalls and problems I my encounter purchasing from Europe of America. My best estimate so far is to just x 3 $$$ then look forward to a s#@t a fight with Australian shipping and customs .
What kind and size of boat are you looking for Gaston? Mine's for sale at a very competitive price...and right here in Oz.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
What kind and size of boat are you looking for Gaston? Mine's for sale at a very competitive price...and right here in Oz.
Wife has massive input on what we are looking for because it was her that upset things 2 weeks ago with a serious suggestion to upgrade We have owned the boat for a short time and using it every second day even if its just a late afternoon and BBQ dinner at the marina
So looking for a 32 to 37 closer to 34/35 than 37 under 10 ? years old fiberglass single shaft drive diesel of around 120hp+ walk around decks no timber sleeping for a max 4 as we will seldom need more than 2 so a big double ? .Fly bridge is now a option but not a must a rear deck is a must no aft cabin. 360 views if possible from helm ,galley and seating so no living area without a view. 240/12v power . Close to what I have now but newer and bigger . Now here's the crunch without my prompting or influence my wife picked out a Nordic Tug 32 that also is my ideal boat for the 2 of us but if I had my way forget everything above I would fly over to the Netherlands today and buy a Fisher 2007 37' and sail it back to Australia over the next 12 months
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #8
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Knowing your price range could help with local suggestions.
I see the views of others about buying overseas but my feeling is the economic advantages plummeted as the AUD tanked and the US economy revived.
I assume you pay GST on the import.
IMO it is a brave man who doesn`t inspect and survey the chosen boat. I would not rely on local agents her, or overseas brokers and surveyors.
Noting your requirements, including vessel age, with local boats my first thoughts are Fairway, and Integrity. The new Fairway looks great, but recent examples of the last model are appealing, and available at reasonable cost. Most are in Qld, not NSW.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
Guru
 
Insequent's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,426
Yes, 10% GST is payable as soon as an Australian citizen brings a boat into the country. Plus 5% duty unless the boat was manufactured in a country that has a free trade agreement with Australia. These days foreigner's boats can stay for up to 3 years, but then import is required with costs as above.

I agree, our weak dollar is not conducive to importing. But it is always a trade-off of many factors. Even when I did it the reasons were more about boat choice and condition (older boats), not saving money. Now it costs more to do it, but the choice and condition factors still apply. I would not buy a boat without walking onto it first, a good excuse to travel to some interesting places in itself.

I often see boats for sale for health reasons. Makes me kinda sad when its after spending considerable time doing repairs and upgrades ready for extended cruising, and I hope the owners at least had many years enjoyment prior to the health issue. But that also brings home the adage that you cant take it with you. Which is why I say if you both want to do it, then go for it now.
__________________
Brian
Insequent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:27 AM   #10
Guru
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Knowing your price range could help with local suggestions.
I see the views of others about buying overseas but my feeling is the economic advantages plummeted as the AUD tanked and the US economy revived.
I assume you pay GST on the import.
IMO it is a brave man who doesn`t inspect and survey the chosen boat. I would not rely on local agents her, or overseas brokers and surveyors.
Noting your requirements, including vessel age, with local boats my first thoughts are Fairway, and Integrity. The new Fairway looks great, but recent examples of the last model are appealing, and available at reasonable cost. Most are in Qld, not NSW.


Looked at both the Fairway, and Integrity and imo neither represents good value for $300k and from what I have been told both are very hard to sell second hand .The ones in Australia @ $300k mark have been on the market for a very long time . Resale is important to us as life changes quickly .
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:59 AM   #11
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Looked at both the Fairway, and Integrity and imo neither represents good value for $300k and from what I have been told both are very hard to sell second hand .The ones in Australia @ $300k mark have been on the market for a very long time . Resale is important to us as life changes quickly .
Seabiscuit, berthed at Fenwicks Brooklyn, seemed a nice Fairway 36, listed at a not unreasonable 235K, sold recently for $?.
Boats generally, not just those 2, are hard to sell at present. Ask Peter B.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,670
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Indeed, ask me. My boat actually meets all your requirements except the age, and its clean where is matters as well. Oh, and I only have 12v DC on board after we leave the dock. I can charge and pre-heat the water before we leave off 240v.
But, hey, with engine, solar, and wind gen for batt charging, and water heating, gas for cooking, and LED lights, who needs 240V AC, with its dangers, anyway..?

We have the rear cockpit, as Lotus is not an aft cabin, rare in this vintage, and why it took us time to find. It will do everything the new ones will do, for approx a quarter the price. Am I getting your attention..?
__________________

__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012