Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
Marine Gas fitter - Redcliffe area

Hi All,

I'm absolutely amazed that I cannot seem to find a gas fitter to look at my boat in the redcliffe area. Pretty sure all I need is a gas (sniffer and control) panel replaced but I'm damned if I can find anyone who will do it. I'm stumped - can anyone help with a recommendation?

Cheers!

shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #2

Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Hi All,

I'm absolutely amazed that I cannot seem to find a gas fitter to look at my boat in the redcliffe area. Pretty sure all I need is a gas (sniffer and control) panel replaced but I'm damned if I can find anyone who will do it. I'm stumped - can anyone help with a recommendation?

Cheers!
Come on down to Manly - I`m sure we have a few in the area.

Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Hi All,
Cheers!
A "gas fitter" specifically in the US is a plumber who is licensed to do gas connections. When you ask for a "gas fitter" you trigger a legal situation that no marine electrician or boatwright will want to touch.

It sounds like you may not need any gas connections touched. A good marine electrician should be able to diagnose your sniffer and control panel and replace anything that needs it without touching any gas connections. The only thing in that system that requires a gas connection is the solenoid at the LPG bottle. These do fail due to corrosion.

FWIW, the separate sniffer which is often located near the sole underneath the stove probably fails even more often and is very easy to replace.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Shufti,
Get on to face book and the Moreton Bay Cruisers page and make your request, you will get plenty of suggestions. I would help but am presently away OS so do not have info at hand.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
There is an excellent marine electrician at Manly, named Wayne Love. He does all the marine elec stuff on my boat.

You could call him and see if he can help. If he cant, I am sure Wayne would know whom to recommend to you. Number is 0419131867.

Only hitch is you might have to bring you boat down to Manly for a day or two, but it is an easy cruise from Redcliffe.

H.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I used Kurt (link below) when I imported my boat. As you know, a gas certificate is required to register (or sell) a boat in Qld. Initially he was reluctant. But when I told him that I was aware of the Australian/New Zealand Standard, and had already installed the compliant line and gas locker while doing my refit in USA he was OK to do the work. He came up to Newport Marina where I was located at the time.

https://www.activegas.com.au/
Old 07-16-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
Guru

Shufti, does it have to be a marine one? Land based gas tradesmen should around, I used a marine electrician who was qualified for house etc work.
We do have a marine expert gas installer/certifier here who used his great expertise to join together 2 incompatible threads, using tape and pink putty. As we discovered, down the track.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #8
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
They just need to be Qld Gov licensed. Their a$$ is on the line if sh1t happens and gas is found to be the cause. Land tradies are fine, the trick is finding one who actually wants the work.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:27 AM   #9
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Andrew Harvey at Tradewinds Plumbing - Brisbane | Commercial and Residential Plumbing Brisbane South East did ours at Brisbane Shiplifts.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote