Marina swept away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AusCan

Guru
Vessel Name
Kokanee
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Some bad weather on the east coast of Australia over the past couple days with heavy rain, gale force winds and king tides. Her'e the outcome at one small marina in Tasmania.

What a harrowing sight!

Several years ago I kept my sailboat at a marina in a well-protected cove but with rinkydink docks. I was working below as a storm was brewing when I heard and felt an enormous wind gust hit the boat. I popped my head out to look around just as the next dock over broke loose with an enormous crack as the microburst intensified. Most of the 22 to 35 foot sailboats were heeled over by the wind--still in their slips--and the entire dock was pinwheeling on one or two pilings that had held -- toward my boat. I started running for the shore but the jumble of boats and dock snagged on something long enough for the wind to subside as quickly as it had come up. Powerful forces in nature, indeed!

Whoa! You don't see that everyday!

Dang and I was just complaining about our water being a little high!

First thing I noticed was how few pylons were holding that marina together

INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

Good grief! Been away, off to visit my marina on the Hawkesbury river, in flood from the same severe east coast low pressure system.

In tassie only 4 weeks ago we were running out of water to power the hydro generators.
Mother Nature certainly has a well developed sense of humour.
Other photo is from Coffs harbour breakwater.New turbowash in beta testing.

Attachments

• 7269910-3x2-700x467.jpg
    7269910-3x2-700x467.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 7484256-3x2-940x627.jpg
    7484256-3x2-940x627.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 119
Good grief! Been away, off to visit my marina on the Hawkesbury river, in flood from the same severe east coast low pressure system.
Staff at Dolphin Marina, at Brooklyn on the tidal Hawkesbury, reported that due to combined effects of floodwater and the prevailing "king" tides, the fixed walkway to the floating marina was under water last night, but otherwise all is fine. 400mm of rain fell in 2 days with enough wind to fell trees,but Doriana remains dry. The marina mechanic was good enough to go onboard and check inside while checking lines etc, much appreciated. Sorry for those in Tasmania now suffering the weather, but it looks to be improving here.

'
First thing I noticed was how few pylons were holding that marina together

INSURANCE INSURANCE INSURANCE

Hey Gaston,

Wanna have a giggle ??

Check out the 'grossly over engineered :rolleyes: and substantial :rofl: ' pylons holding no fewer 4 floating pontoons on the mighty Clarence river at Grafton. Not having a shot at you or N.S.W (which I happen to be very fond of), but just thought at the time those pylons would bend like spaghetti :eek: at a few more knots and metres of water flooding.
Did you guys see the footage of the port where the 'Spirt of Tasmania' docks and all those boats heading out in the Bass Straight :confused: without crew???

Attachments

• DSC01705 (Small).JPG
    DSC01705 (Small).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 196
During the Brisbane 2011 floods, some pylons were not high enough and the pontoons simply floated off them with boats attached to them, those grossly over engineered pylons might come in handy as it is predicted that Australia will enter into a La Nina later this year

In tassie only 4 weeks ago we were running out of water to power the hydro generators.
Mother Nature certainly has a well developed sense of humour.

She sure does.

Hydro Tasmania has confirmed that they cloud seeded in the area the day prior to the floods.

Don't mess with the Mother.

Hydro Tasmania has confirmed that they cloud seeded in the area the day prior to the floods.
Best cloud seeding result ever?!

Back
Top Bottom