Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Because if you had, you'd understand my statement. You argue from a point of no knowledge or experience. I'm done. Those of you who DO have experience with sextants will know what I mean.
I know how hard it was to get a sight from the deck of a rolling 35' sailboat mid pacific... It would be next to impossible to get a reliable sight in a kayak.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I know, I know. You just can't do what you know can't be done, like climb Everest solo without supplemental oxygen (Reinhold Messner did it first) or lead every pitch of The Nose on El Capitan clean (Lynn Hill did it...twice...once under 24 hours) either.

The original post was pretty cool; how people with open minds and an adventurous spirit can accomplish what the rest of us either can't envision, or don't have the guts to do. I thought Gillette's story followed that path as well.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Call me a sucker for punishment

Ed Gillette on the Tonight Show a couple days after his crossing;

Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
That is an amazing story Murray - thanks for bringing it to the fore. Great clip - it really gives life to Ed's accomplishment.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Because if you had, you'd understand my statement. You argue from a point of no knowledge or experience. I'm done. Those of you who DO have experience with sextants will know what I mean.
Keith, sun sights would be out but star sights - perhaps. I always found them more forgiving and when it was rough took four lines and usually felt comfortable about my position. But I see your point. That said I can't imagine depending on contrails but I guess it foils be done. Either way quite an achievement.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
There is an article in the latest PassageMaker mag re the round the world cruise by the Heneys on Argos of Sydney.
Beautiful boat and a great adventure.
Whoever wrote it stated that they were the first Australians to circumnavigate the world in a powerboat.
Anyhow I wrote to the assistant editor of PassageMaker with a copy of the front and back pages of Jim and Nancy Murphy's little booklet of their adventure in 1988.
They have agreed to publish my letter with the facts in the next edition.

Not to take anything away from the Heaneys but Jim and Nancy went before any decent GPS / plotters etc were in regular use. I had my first plotter in 1994 and we were only trialing them then.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
There is an article in the latest PassageMaker mag re the round the world cruise by the Heneys on Argos of Sydney.
Beautiful boat and a great adventure.
Whoever wrote it stated that they were the first Australians to circumnavigate the world in a powerboat.
Anyhow I wrote to the assistant editor of PassageMaker with a copy of the front and back pages of Jim and Nancy Murphy's little booklet of their adventure in 1988.
They have agreed to publish my letter with the facts in the next edition.

Not to take anything away from the Heaneys but Jim and Nancy went before any decent GPS / plotters etc were in regular use. I had my first plotter in 1994 and we were only trialing them then.
The only real difference between now and 1994 is the plotter...everybody we knew had gps when we sailed the pacific 1992-1994..but the positions had to be transferred to paper charts. I don't think anyone I know would do a circumnavigation today without still keeping a backup an paper while doing bluewater cruising. I still keep a running plot on paper even when I do coastal deliveries. Now it the first folks had done their circumnavigation prior to gps that would be a touch more impressive.
The reality is that it is still the same big oceans one has to cross and anyone that circumnavigates deserves major bragging rights if it is done on anything less than 80'
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Hello Hollywood

That's correct. I have nav system plus back up with all bells and whistles, still, I put all dots on paper to be sure. Out there, where we cannot see the shoreline, I even use a sextant.

Better safe than sorry!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Hollywood as you can see I was talking 1988 not 94.
Our GPS systems at that period were very slow and not very accurate.
I know we were only getting a fix every 4/ 5 hrs in those days and once you got close to the equator or up around Indo it was only a couple of times a day.
Paper charts are really on their way out in the commercial world these days.
I keep them and may be plot a position a couple of times of a night time when I am doing a few days at a time but as like our ships I have back up systems with alternative power supplies.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #30

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
For those interested here's a link with photos and information about the boat "Argos" from Sydney:

Argos of Sydney | For Sale | Wooden Boat