Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
I have a refrigeration licence as part of my qualifications and it allows me to handle all HFCs.
When doing so a record must be maintained of all gas kept in cylinders and weight of gas used for system top ups ect.

If they are charging to bring friges in I would scrap them and install new units once the vessel was landed in Aus.

Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
I have a refrigeration licence as part of my qualifications and it allows me to handle all HFCs.
When doing so a record must be maintained of all gas kept in cylinders and weight of gas used for system top ups ect.

If they are charging to bring friges in I would scrap them and install new units once the vessel was landed in Aus.

Cheers
Benn

the regs. look pretty simple to comply with, have the system evacuated prior to shipping and certified. recharge down under.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:38 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
the regs. look pretty simple to comply with, have the system evacuated prior to shipping and certified. recharge down under.
HOLLYWOOD
Expect the recharge to be expensive. According to the man from Sydney`s well respected Moorebank Refrigeration(from my memory)the new gas used is $300+ per kilo. Cost is supposed to be due to the current carbon tax. He warned me any gas used was going to cost when I had him uncouple and recouple the freezer,he retained all but a smidgen and charged nothing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I've never heard of a refrigeration licence either, and I live here. He may be referring to the type of coolant gas in it. But I would think the US are even more tough on ozone killer gas, so would expect it would have an acceptable refrigerant gas in it. The voltage and AC frequency would be the only real issue I would think. Frigs are a bit more sensitive than most other appliances to that.
There are a couple of Australian lawyers on the Forum and perhaps they will chime in. My US legal background should not be trusted outside of the US. However, when I looked at the Australian law it appears to be designed to "encourage" an importer to have the offending gas taken out before the vehicle/device reaches Australia. Thus any recharge would be made in accordance with Australian laws which may require adapting or changing the equipment.

$3,000 AU buys a lot of refrigeration work.

Having lived with boat refrigeration back into the last century I think it is wise to have a system which fully complies with the local rules. You don't want your food to go bad a couple of years from now while you try and obtain special gases or parts.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #25

City: Blackmans Bay, Tasmania
Vessel Name: WESTWIND
Vessel Model: NORDHAVN 40
Hi
I used a shipping broker that my company used for import/export of various products. They advised then to import any refrigerant (Gas) you require a license. I explored replacing the frig & freezer but with the associated cabinet work, the license was the way to go. The licence cost (2009) $3000, plus about $3.5 for the weight of gas.
I forgot to mention fumigation in the last message. ONLY use an AQIS approved fumigator. I didn't and had to have the boat re-fumigated upon arrival
Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #26

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Most US boats have Halon fire suppression systems that need to be removed before it is shipped.
Freight cost from Florida to Australia is around $1,000 per foot for boats around 45 to 55 feet. Make sure you get a shipper with a good reputation. I sold a 55 Fleming that arrived 500 miles from the original destination agreed to, good thing the buyer made arrangements not me.
Add cost of moving to the ship and preparation for shipping.