Old 10-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Getting out there

Had a text from my mate on Waverly a couple of days ago just to let me know he was now in the Soloman Islands, kicking back with a couple of beers waiting for the surf to pick up.

Darren and his wife Peata own Waverley a 49ft timber motor sailor that they have spent the last couple of years bring up to pristine condition.
He has put on a new rig the same as mine but probably about 20% bigger/stronger new outriggers and fish ( my arms came of his boat and I extended them by 2').We also used the same rigger and sail maker so the similarity.

His main engine is a Mack Thermodyne de rated to 200 hp marinised beautifully and also keeping the air start.
Note...One thing he did before he left was to have a spare engine rebuilt and blue printed. This engine was test run and then stored , ready for shipment if ever required

They left Gold Coast approx. mid August and leisurely cruised up the coast to Townsville from where they cleared customs and headed for the Louisiades after passing thru the Great Barrier Reef.

2000 miles later they are kickin back livin the dream.

Attached is an earlier photo of Waverly, before the refit.
Attached Thumbnails
Waverley.jpg  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Awesome avatar! Awesome boats. Years ago when I was at Mack, I had heard that there were some marinised Thermodyne 673 and 711's but never came across one. After the first E6 series came out, and then the EM6 series, I guess the operating range got so narrow as to be impractical for marine use. There were some E9 1000 HP V8's, however, that were spec'd out of Ft. Belvior for military marine, but I don't know if they ever hit the water. While I was at Mack, Rolls Royce cut a deal with Mack to use E-7 engines for what was described as their Merlin Marine division, but I was gone before anything happened. I don't think there are many marinised Macks out there.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Guru

You are probably right.
The original builder, my brothers father in laws brother ( they both were partners in a trucking business) all they had were Macks so that is how it came about. The manifold patterns were sent out to Australia from Mack themselves.
After that I think there was another pair of engines done for a twin screw vessel out here but that was about all and also about 25 years ago.
cheers
Benn
Old 10-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Here's one installed in 2000 (Single Mack 920 hp E9M001) into a Javis Newman.

1981 Jarvis Newman Downeast Flybridge Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
Here's one installed in 2000 (Single Mack 920 hp E9M001) into a Javis Newman.
Oh man.....and that is a sweatheart too. Big brute of a down east and a powerplant to match. While the Mack E9 was a hulk of an engine, it represented a lightweight option for a 1000 hp diesel application. Army spec's said at that output, they had to have it last 1000 hours. Four to five times that much was the norm, and the truck pullers are still using the engine at double or triple that output with excellent reliability, albeit with water injection and in rather short blasts up the track.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Guru

At long last back on the water.
We departed Mackay this morning (bankers hours) 1000 am and a nice short cruise 3 hrs up to Brampton island.
May spend a couple of days here messing about with gear, water maker etc and then up to Lindeman island or Shaw.
just nice to be out and about.
The Excel is in the sand.

Cheers
Benn
Old 07-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Have fun Benn. I'll have to get some sand on my new Sarca soon too.

I've just changed anodes in the engines and oil coolers, and will take a run over to Straddie soon and then do an oil change. I found a good source for anodes near Maroochydore, you probably know about it.
Cathodic Anodes Australasia — Anodes for the future

Nothing like going to the manufacturer's factory to get 'em and see racks and racks of shiny zinc etc. Got a couple of spares for my Lewmar bow thruster while there. Next visit I'll stock up on shaft and rudder ones as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #8

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
Hi guys.
Nothing like you fellas are doing but right now I am sitting in Blackwattle Bay opposite the fish market on the boat watching the world going by, had a coffee with my son this morning, bought a flounder for dinner so fresh it winked at me and ready to walk arond to the SBS tomorrow. In my opinion nothing better. Oh with a nice whisky in hand right now.
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #9
Guru

After a day at Brampton we headed up to Shaw is for a night and then on to Cid Harbour ( a strong SE change was forecast so good shelter was required) been here a couple of days ( the excel is dug in deep) so tomorrow down to Hammo marina to send my outboard ashore for repair, pick up some stores along with the niece and her family.
All going well the wind will abate and we can get out and about.
It's a bitch being at anchor and not having a usable outboard.
The solar panels have not done much work with heavy cloud for the last 3 days so the gen set has been earning it's keep.
All should be good again in a couple of days .

"ladies Who Shoot Their Lunch" great Chardy but makes you type slow.

Cheers
Benn
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Hi Benn. Nice to hear of your travels. Sounds like you have been doing a bit of rowing in your tender...good exercise...

so many nice spots up there. I will have to get some ideas from you for the outer reef anchorages though as i would love to head out there for a week or so fishing.

Catch up with you when you are back in Mooloolaba.

Have fun with the family.

Bo
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
....had a coffee with my son this morning .....bought a flounder for dinner so fresh it winked at me....Oh with a nice whisky in hand right now.
Holy Moses, I've never heard that one before. Awesome!

texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

It tasted good too
Havent got a photo of the evening but found one of the anchorage at dawn taken last year at the same time. Great spot. The bridge in the background is the Anzac bridge that connects the city to the western suburbs
Attached Thumbnails
065.jpg   066.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #13
Guru

Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Great pics of Blackwattle Bay John. Amazing how we can anchor somewhere so nice so close to the city of Sydney,and for free.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #14

Too right Bruce. In fact that yacht in the second photo is still is the same position this year!! There is supposedly a restriction on how long you can stay here and Maritime is right opposite this anchorage but dont seem to worry too much.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
Guru

Well we are heading south.
Dropped Kate, Jay and kids of at Hamilton Island last Wed and departed Thursday morning for Shaw island. Holed up there for 2 days due to a strong wind warning. Got away and steamed down to Scawfell Island for an overnighter about a 7 hr steam. 20 knot winds and 1.5 mt swell and waves. Stabilisers worked a treat and the sails stayed furled due to wind direction.
It really is the wrong time of the year to be heading south.
Next morning off for Percy islands, early 0600 start strong winds from SE and reasonable seas, arrived Middle Percy at 1600 hrs but to rolly so moved down to South Percy where we anchored for the night. A South west change came thru at about 0200 hrs and we decided to get out and head for island head Creek where we arrived at 1500 hrs after an 0330 start.

A great couple of days at island head Creek it is still one of the magic spots on the coast.
Out of there this morning and now anchored up on the north side of Great Keppel Island.
Off to Gladstone tomorrow morning early as another strong wind warning coming up. I also have some real estate business to do so a good excuse to marina stay and have a restaurant meal.
Will see what the weather brings after that. Trying to get down to the Gold Coast City marina on the 28 th, looks like it could be a struggle.

Boat is going champion. Mr G purrs along at 1250 RPM, water maker is churning out water like there is no tomorrow and the generator is magic.

Picked up my e-mails today and got confirmation of entry to the Wooden Boat show in Hobart.
next job to get Tidahapah from Gold Coast to Hobart, starting out in October.
Will post some photos when I get a chance
Cheers
Benn
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Nice update Benn, wondered how you were getting on - there has been a bit of unusually wild weather, both rain and wind. Worse in NSW than here in Qld though. If you need anything give a shout. I'd still like to meet the folks down the coast when you get there, as well as have a look at your refit. Travel safe...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Great report Benn! Good to read about you enjoying the boat as you've been dumping love and boat bucks on her for a while. You've been putting distance under the keel but have you had a chance to fish along the way?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:36 AM   #18

Vessel Name: Serene
Vessel Model: Blue Seas 36
is the Waverly you refer to this one;

Waverley - http://www.millarsphoto.com.au/demo

Beautiful boat. Having grown up with old wooden boats and Gardner engines and having Oneone and Flood Tide here for a lot of years, I can never go past looking at these classics.
Serene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #19
Guru

Well we had another crap day today. Departed Great Keppel and headed down to " Happy Rock " Gladstone. Another day of 20 knot winds from the SE and SE swell and punch into it.
Came into Gladstone via the North channel a bit skinny on water as we were just after the low tide but thank full to get in out of the muck.

PC have done very little fishing this trip due to the weather only trolled a couple of lures on the trip down from IHC to GKI for nil result.
Broke out the #6 fly rod in IHC for the full result of a couple of gar fish, a bit of fun all the same.

Looks like a couple of days in Gladstone before we head out again.

Brian will talk to you if and when I get down to the Gold Coast.

Cheers
Benn
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #20
Guru

A few photos of the odd glamour day and the stabilisers out before it got rugged.
The spring by the way travel about 2 to 3 " when under load so take a lot of stress out of the stay system.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010142.jpg   P1010143.jpg   P1010144.JPG   P1010145.jpg   P1010146.jpg  

P1010148.JPG   P1010150.JPG   P1010151.JPG   P1010159.jpg