Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Well what a surprising day it has been. Staying in Gladstone for a couple of days until the weather settles. The Boss and I have done enough swell bashing so we deserve a rest.

Got a knock on the hull this morning and an early (not to early) morning caller turned out to be forumite Richard Conroy.
He had been off the forum for a few weeks logged in yesterday saw we were in and came down for a visit.
We had a good chat and I showed Richard around and he offered me the use of a car for a day or so whilst I was in town. Wow this is terrific , so we have now stocked the larder , done a bit of business and all so easy, THANK YOU Richard, a fantastic gesture. As it turns out ,during our discussion we found we had run into each other out at sea a few years ago , but that is a different story. It sure is a small world..
Another day or so and we will get away and continue our trip south.

The forum members sure are friendly.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Sympathies Benn. Rain and more rain is the local forecast, probably for all next week. Weak trough and forming low to the east of you, and sticking around. I saw that the BOM Hervey Bay forecast was for Southerlies up to 25kn for the next 4 days. Definitely no fun to bash into that. So a well stocked larder and fridge will be a very good thing to have!
Old 08-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post

The forum members sure are friendly.

Cheers
Benn

That's been my experience too. Every one I've met face to face has been genuinely nice folks

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 AM   #24
Guru

Well after being trapped in Gladstone for a few days we decided to get out today even with the strong wind current.
You wouldn't believe it , it was the sweetest 4 hr cruise we have had in the last couple of weeks.
Anchored in Pancake Creek this afternoon and will get out for Bundaberg tomorrow morning. If it is really good we may head straight across to Moon Point and save a day or so.
The Wide Bay Bar still looks as if it may be closed out so boat may be left up in Hervey Bay until I get back from work early October. Only time will tell.
Cheers
Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
Guru

Back out yesterday morning.
Departed pancake Creek at 0715 hrs and had a long day on the wheel.
Intended to stop Bundaberg at 1600 hrs but good conditions so pressed on and eventually anchored at Kingfisher Bay ( mid way up Fraser Is) at 2300 hrs.
Good to be down the inside of Fraser.
Now to see when the bar will be suitable to cross, sounds as thou it has been horrific for the last week or so.

Cheers
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Benn, the weather we`ve had for 2-3 weeks is heading up the coast towards you. A flood warning is current for the north NSW coast, for places like Bellingen on the Bellinger river, etc. We`ve had 2 east coast lows form here. Next weekend is forecast mainly sunny here(we`ll wait and see). Hopefully it all clears away soon. Wonder how Race Week at Hamilton Isl. is going.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #27
TF Site Team

From what I have observed recently for Hervey Bay and Moreton Bay, it has been clearing to the south. But a new trough has developed just south of the border. Its projected to move offshore and north a bit before then merging into the low and going south. Although today is not too bad, the outlook for Moreton Bay isn't all that good. Southerlies are going to be building again. From Sunday on for a few days it looks a lot better. When the Wide Bay bar would be reasonable is another question altogether.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:12 AM   #28
Guru

Quick jaunt down the Straights today and anchored up at Pelican Point waiting for good weather to cross the bar.
It looks like Sat or Sunday.
I hope so otherwise it will be into Tin Can Bay Marina to leave the boat until I get home from work in a months time.
Time will tell.
Had a beaut storm this afternoon, not much wind, but torrential rain , thunder and lighting.
Collected about 250 lts of fresh water in next to no time saves a few hours on the water maker.
A couple of yachts attempted to come in across the bar this morning but the swell nearly caught them out, one continued north around the top of the Island the other doubled back and is in the lee of Double Island Point.

Just sitting and waiting now at least it is not the middle of the Atlantic, I will leave that to Richard, good man gthat he is.
Cheers
Old 08-27-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Hope it flattens quickly for you. Early part of next week should be good to head south if you get through the bar OK. Pretty ugly down in NSW though. Same kind of stuff Richard is facing. Hoping he gets through the last bit without being beaten up too bad.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #30
Guru

Looks like a few days at anchor whilst this low moves north.
Been blowing 25/30 knots most of the arvo and will probably continue until late tonight when it is expected to abate to 20 knots at least it is supposed to be below 25
Sat is looking like a possible bar crossing otherwise Sunday it is and then down to Mooloolaba .
Gotta trust the Excel, arse on to a sand bar with this blow but she is holding well.
Only one other boat here Dirona a 52 ft Nordy from the USA.
Actually met James and his wife a few weeks ago when I was visiting Brian down at dockside.
Went over for a chat this morning before the wind really got up.
Anyhow back to anchor and weather watch.
Cheers
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #31
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Benn:
I looked up Wide Bay Bar and saw a couple videos on it. It does look like a wide bay, but is it too shallow across most of it? Is there only one place to cross and only at high tide? Pretty interesting.
Mike
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:16 PM   #32
Guru

Mike,
You are right it is a wide stretch of water but only one channel across.
I will get the co ordinates and post them so you can put it on Google Earth for reference.
The winds have abated a bit today so tomorrow is looking good for exit and then down to Mooloolaba.
Way points on the way out.
1. 25.48.206 S
153.04.807 E

2. 25.47.365 S
153.06.631 E

3. 25.47.673 S
153.08.378 E

I think in another post I had a Google Earth track that has this bar crossing marked I will check it out.
OK check Thread "Tidahapah Refit" Post no 182.

Cheers
Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi, Benn, we are going down to our timeshare on the G/C this coming week. If I see you've got down to the G/C City Marina or other marina nearby, we might see if we can pop over and say hi, and maybe help out with a pick-up if you need transport for something.

Cheers, and good luck with the next leg. Definitely meant to calm down here on Moreton and the G/C for this weekend and beyond, so might be ok.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Only one other boat here Dirona a 52 ft Nordy from the USA.
Actually met James and his wife a few weeks ago when I was visiting Brian down at dockside.
Went over for a chat this morning before the wind really got up.
Anyhow back to anchor and weather watch.
Cheers
Richard is the real deal. Not only a great writer but a real blue water cruiser doing it his way. When he took possession of the Dirona his first trip was to head out into the Pacific from Seattle and head straight to Prince William Sound in Alaska, weather be damned. His tales of how the N52 performed on this voyage were detailed and a testament to Nordhavn's design for this early build of the N52 line.

Did he tell you of his trip to Hawaii? Another great story for sure.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #35
Guru

Peter,
Thanks for the offer but as it stands now we will get out of here in the morning and head for Mooloolaba.
Will tie up in my own berth and possibly leave her there until I come back from work in 4 weeks time.
Got to go to work on Wed so need some time to get organised.
Home early Oct and then will do some work to get ready for Tassie.

Cheers
Old 08-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Good move...
Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 PM   #37
Guru

We'll we crossed the bar this morning at 0800 hrs
Pretty crappy,the mad mile, was all white water, the Boss said bugger this tell me when we are out in clear water and then went a lay down on the bed.she doesn't get sea sick but said she was scared.
The last leg had 2.5 mt waves pretty hairy but good as long as you stayed on course, either side and the waves were breaking and this was only in 5 mts of water.
As there was little wind there was no sea on top.
Heading south now with a good 2.5 mt SE swell so rolling a bit but very comfortable, should be tied up at 1700 hrs.
Cheers
Old 08-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #38
Guru

Thanks for the update Benn. Am really enjoying following your progress

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 08-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #39
Guru

Thanks CP, pretty nice out here at present, big rolling glassy swell and we are lopping along at about 7.5 knts
Trolling 2 lines one with a hard body the other a skirted jet head.
No strikes but there have been huge bait schools every where but nothing except the dolphins appear to be working them.
Cheers
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 PM   #40
Guru

Hope ya catch one heck of a dinner Benn. Just you and Google earth is all I've got to scratch my itch to cruise the Oz coast someday. I appreciate the ride along.