Old 09-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #21

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
Update, new hydraulic pump solved the autopilot problem, bearing was shot causing pump to bind. As well as the pump replacement moving on board full time pushed the house bank into failure with three new 230 amp agm batteries fixing that problem! So the annual boat breakdown budget has gone in 4 weeks! If you have the chance to bring your boat here Fraser and the Sandy Straits offers great boating, just needs to be a bit warmer. Ps, I did need more beer!!

Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #22

Lying in bed listening to the whales singing, magic!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #23
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Not b ad is it Andrew.
Sat with 5 seperate groups all around Tidahapah at once this morning on our way down to Wathumba Creek. We sat with the engine shut down for about an hour and a half.
One cow and calf came up and sat just about 10 meters from our back deck.

Dam it will all come to a close in a day or two and back home for a week or so.

Hope you guys have been having as much fun as we have.
Cheers
Benn & Gayle
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:29 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sounds like your living well Benn. Goodonya mate. What kind of whale are these?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sounds like your living well Benn. Goodonya mate. What kind of whale are these?
In case he misses your post Craig...they'd be humpbacks, now heading south again for the S/H summer to Antarctica.

No probs Benn...
Old 09-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Thanks for that Peter. I wasn't sure but somebody once told me there where Humpback whales that made the circuit in the Southern Hemisphere. Thanks for the confirmation.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #27

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Not b ad is it Andrew.
Sat with 5 seperate groups all around Tidahapah at once this morning on our way down to Wathumba Creek. We sat with the engine shut down for about an hour and a half.
One cow and calf came up and sat just about 10 meters from our back deck.

Dam it will all come to a close in a day or two and back home for a week or so.

Hope you guys have been having as much fun as we have.
Cheers
Benn & Gayle
Hi, yes I think our visitors are impressed. Been round the corner at Moon last 2 nights, and looking forward to the lovely weather forecast for the next week. We will be at GSSM Sunday but if we miss you have a safe trip home. 😊
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 AM   #28
Guru

Andrew,
Great to meet up.
We had the last night at Coongal and came into the marina this morning. Heading home on Sunday but hope to be back up in about 10 days time for another week out before I head north to go fishing.
Superb drift with 5 whales yesterday just north of Coongal Point.
2 cows, 2 calves and an escork Drifted with them as they played around the boats, I was with Lawrie on Phyllis may a blue motor sailor. ( no real aerial displays) for about 40 mins.
Enjoy your stay.
Cheers
Benn and Gayle
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #29

Back at Gary's waiting for right conditions to cross Wide Bay Bar, hopefully tomorrow. Had the most amazing storms last night. It was like a giant series of strobe lights in the sky with a kick ass bass track! Big gusts too but with42 metres of chain out we went nowhere. Never a dull moment on board!
Old 01-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #30
Guru

Good to hear Andrew, cruised past you at Moon Point last Monday afternoon, gave you a wave but I was in a friends fishing boat.
Must be good getting on the move.
I thought you may have become the Mayor of Moon.
I am heading south later next week to haul out at Gold Coast City Marina.
Stay safe and comfortable.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #31

Hi Benn, indeed it's nice to be back on board though we did have a great 2 months in WA with a week in Melbourne on the way home. Going to spend a week in Mooloolaba then head for Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Been a bit wet and windy!!
Old 02-10-2016, 03:49 AM   #32

Left Mooloolaba this morning for Myora then onto Raby Bay tomorrow for 4 weeks. Was a very bumpy trip with winds gusting over 30 knots and a lumpy and confused seas. I though Bluechip was a submarine there was so much spray around! Ended up taking us 6 hours for the trip with the only casualties being the boat hook and the doormat which were both washed overboard! Lovely in here now and a few good showers have washed most of the salt off!
Old 02-10-2016, 04:48 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Andrew, may I call you Andrew, seeing Benn has outed you...anyway...did you come into the bay at the top, or brave the point Lookout bar off Amity, (like the fishing trawlers, i.e. true trawlers), and come in there, seeing you ended up at Myora..?

Why I ask is the last time we came down from Tangalooma, Myora was a bit of a detour, so we thought we'd be smart and instead of looping down near Peel Island, we thought we would take a 'short cut', and try the Rous Channel. But it proved so circuitous, it ended up even more of a detour, so we crossed that off any future travel route list.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #34

Hi Peter, we headed straight from Mooloolaba to the top of Moreton and then ran down the west coast hoping for some shelter from the wind but no joy as it was southerly all the way and the infamous chop was not much fun! We were heading for The Gutter but it was blown out so around to Myora for a very late breakfast! Boat handled it all well though not our preferred weather for boating!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 AM   #35
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Pete
The Rous Channel does give a scenic tour .... of sand bars. I use it a bit and try to time the tide but because it is circuitous as you say you always have tide against you somewhere along it. For high tide the west end of Rous is 45 minutes behind Amity. At low tide it is 60 minutes behind. Amazing really as its not that far distance-wise.

Its the South Passage Bar that connects Moreton Bay at Amity Point to the ocean. No bars any where near Point Lookout. When living on Straddie in the mid 80's I crossed the South Passage Bar many a time in trailer boats. But I also spent time looking for folks whose boat had overturned on the bar. That was when I was part of the Volunteer Marine Rescue. These days I would need a very good reason, and ideal conditions, to try and cross it in my current boat - its just too damn shallow, and the deeper sections move around a lot.

Hickers
Hope you enjoy Raby Bay. Robbie runs the marina there very well. And his diesel prices are about the best going around in this part of the world. I took on quite a bit of fuel there not so long ago, and paid 102 cents after the discount he had going at the time for newsletter subscribers.

Ask Robbie about Little Ships Club, at some point there was some tie-up with them and fuel discounts too. I was a member there years ago when living on Straddie, and the facilities on shore were pretty good even then. I have not made it back yet so not sure what they are like now. It is hard to find a spot to anchor at One Mile and then you have to dinghy to the club, but off-season it might be OK.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:43 AM   #36
TF Site Team

South Passage Bar. Yes, that's the name I couldn't bring down. And yes, I had me points a bit mixed up. Haven't spent a lot of time on Straddle - or Moreton Island for that matter. Mainly looking at them from the water really, so the geography is mostly out of sight.
Hickers, those Clipper 45s are lovely boats. If I was to win Lotto....ah well...dream on...
Old 05-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #37

After few months in Moreton Bay and the Broadwater we start the trek north tomorrow from Marina Mirage to the Whitsundays and perhaps Townsville. First stop Horseshoe Bay, then Mooloolaba, Sandy Straits, and Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462084802.573232.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  5.2 KBPancake Creek should take of the next few weeks!
Clipper put in a cocktail party to display their new models however in spite of great food, wine and music we escaped without a new boat. (We did love the new pilot house 50 though)Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462084959.987367.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	51357

Will be the last cocktail party for a while!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #38
Guru

Mate,
Looks like a great departure party.
Enjoy the trip hope to catch up with you and Tamara further up the track later in the year.
Saw Waverley in Mooloolaba yesterday and Duncan said he was heading to Cairns this year so he will be on the Northern track.
Safe travels.
Benn & Gayle
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #39

Thanks Benn, we look forward to catching up after your European and Swains adventures. You can show us thru Townsville!!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address