Fuel Price Downunder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Just refueled at RMYC Newport Sydney- $1.20 per litre, after 6c member discount, no cc charge, good customer service. Servo prices currently around $1.10-1.20.

YIKES!!!! That translates to $4.53/Gal. Am I missing something in exchange rates? At that rate I'd be using my boat a whole lot less or need to be considerably wealthier. It amazes me the difference in price of fuel by country. Even with the stupid restrictions that raise the price of fuel in The US to levels higher than they need to be, the going rate for on road diesel locally is about $2/gal. Off road is probably in the $1.65 range. If the tree huggers had their way we would all be living in the seventh century with a dozen slaves rowing our boats.

Hi Capn Craig. You may have never heard of the term, social safety net;

The social safety net is a collection of services provided by the state or other institutions such as friendly societies, including welfare, unemployment benefit, universal healthcare, homeless shelters, and sometimes subsidized services such as public transport, which prevent individuals from falling into poverty beyond a certain level.

A practical example of how the safety net works would be a single mother with several children, unable to work. By receiving money from the government to support her children, along with universal health care and free education, she can give her children a better chance at becoming successful members of society, rather than be caught up in the hopelessness of extreme poverty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_safety_net

Last edited:
Bruce
If you are up in Qld then Raby Bay Marina is usually pretty good for prices. Currently at 113.9 before discounts. During January, as one of their newsletter subscribers, I ended up paying 102 after discounts.

Down at Gold Coast City Marina at present I will check fuel price tomorrow.
I will probably need about 1500 lts when I depart.

Bruce
If you are up in Qld then Raby Bay Marina is usually pretty good for prices. Currently at 113.9 before discounts. During January, as one of their newsletter subscribers, I ended up paying 102 after discounts.

Even so Brian, that equates to about $4 a gallon if I'm right that the US gallon = approx 4 litres. So, in effect we are paying double the US for diesel, even thought the $A1 = $US 0.71. However, even so the diesel is the cheapest part of our boating still, I'd say.

Just refueled at RMYC Newport Sydney- $1.20 per litre, after 6c member discount, no cc charge, good customer service. Servo prices currently around $1.10-1.20.

Bruce the RMYC members discount is 11 cents per litre, why are you only getting 6 cents?

It's the same is almost all of Europe, Spain is US$ 5.00; Italy $6.80; "Tax Free" Red diesel in UK $4.50.

Only Ireland charges a true market price of $2.50 per gallon and yes, they are being sued by Brussels and the E.U. over it.

I'll miss Ireland.

96.9/l in Vancouver BC
96.9*3.78*0.73987=2.71 $US for a US Gal
In OZ
1.139*3.78*0.71=3.03 $US for a US Gal

Paid $3.50 in the USVI on Wednesday, $1.60 in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday.

$1.45 in Brunswick GA 2.5 weeks ago.

Ted

Australia links to the Singapore Tapis price, which is usually higher than the US price. Whereas once we were self sufficient in oil, we now import refined product,we may have one refinery still, not too sure. Our fuel prices are closer to Europe. What happens if overseas supply of refined product fails due to war,shipping issues etc, there is one to ponder. Labor and distribution cost is so high here nothing done locally is cheap, sadly we are used to it. Thank goodness for my thrifty Lehmans!
Can anyone tell me how Canada pump prices are for gas?
Andy, that`s the discount the attendant told me members get, when I did my first refuel last Sunday. I remembered you saying previously it was around 12c, I assumed it had changed. Was that you in the Basin on Sunday? We stopped there for lunch,briefly picking up an OBM (other boat`s mooring).

Differences are mostly due to taxes, and in addition, special the non-winter fuel formula in California. ... Europe has frequent and affordable railroad transportation, but that doesn't help engine-powered boaters nor land-vehicle drivers.

Last edited:
Gold Coast City Marina about $1.20/lt but $1.13 for bulk over 800 lts.
Still think it is to high.
Bruce if anything happens to our fuel supply this country is totally buggered. We have no Australian flag or manned tankers any more, most of our fuel is shipped in from Singapore and our stockpiles amount to about 1 week at the outside.
Even when our armed forces require to relocate they have to charter in foreign flag vessels to carry the tanks and other heavy equipment as our own capabilities are so inadequate.
We have been to busy shipping out our resources with no monetary gain for the country to worry about trivial things like self sufficiency.

Having said all that, our standard of living is high and in real terms the cost of diesel is not going to stop us going cruising. There is to much fun to be had.

Wonder if $50 billion of submarines will guarantee a fuel supply to Aust? We desperately need to get more self sufficient. But it won`t change our fuel prices, even when we had our own raw oil supply we paid "world prices", and our $ is sure not helping now, even with the world oil price tanked. At least Qantas is back in profit, big time.

Bruce our excise on fuel is probably the most of any country in the world but all the multinationals, mining companies etc get it excise free, just little old Joe blog getting it in the neck again.
I hope the prices stay down or get lower all round for a while as it will take a bit of sting out of this years cruising .
I am hoping to get as far north as Cairns this year, time will tell.

. Labor and distribution cost is so high here nothing done locally is cheap, sadly we are used to it. Thank goodness for my thrifty Lehmans!
Can anyone tell me how Canada pump prices are for gas?
Andy, that`s the discount the attendant told me members get, when I did my first refuel last Sunday. I remembered you saying previously it was around 12c, I assumed it had changed. Was that you in the Basin on Sunday? We stopped there for lunch,briefly picking up an OBM (other boat`s mooring).

Yep, that was us in the Basin, took a bunch of people out for a swim & picnic, to say thanks for supporting a fundraiser we had. Stunning day, the water was about 24 degrees.

For those not familiar with the Basin he's a pic

Attachments

• 17 oct 13 001.jpg
    17 oct 13 001.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 113
Fuel Prices

Bruce,

I took on a couple of thousand litres on Friday at the RMYC and paid 113.00 a litre with the members discount. I am not sure if the discount cuts in after 500 or 1,000 litres ? Cheapest Fuel I have ever placed in this vessel. Last year in Tassie I was getting it for 1.26 litre and I thought that was great at the time !!!

cheers Chris D Liberty

Chris, Quantity might explain it, we took only 583L, maybe the discount increases at some point, or perhaps the base price comes down. I really don`t know, but it was still a lot cheaper than previously.

its all good Bruce, just hope it lasts for a while !!!

Cheers Chris D Liberty

We've been paying $1.70-$1.80 per gallon, although price is creeping back toward $1.90 per gallon. We will be purchasing some this week in Jamaica at $3.20 or so a gallon which is low for the area.

We've been paying $1.70-$1.80 per gallon, although price is creeping back toward $1.90 per gallon....
:facepalm:We can only dream of such prices. Right now I`m seeing diesel at $1.10 /L at the local servo*, that`s cheap here.
(*Filling station/Service station= "servo".)

:facepalm:We can only dream of such prices. Right now I`m seeing diesel at $1.10 /L at the local servo*, that`s cheap here.
(*Filling station/Service station= "servo".)
Actually we were paying close to that not all that long ago. 18 months or so ago.

Yesterday I bought diesel, at a servo, for the car, lowest price ever on the North Shore of Sydney(though almost certainly cheaper out west)for $107.9/L. At a 7/11 Store,they sell cheaper because they work(?ed) their overseas student staff 40 hours while paying them for 20 hours)

$2.00/gal at our marina on Tampa Bay. $1.75 on Thursdays. Guess where I'll be this Thursday?

$2.00/gal at our marina on Tampa Bay. $1.75 on Thursdays. Guess where I'll be this Thursday?

In a long fuel line?

Our fuel source is currently showing diesel at $1.90. We paid $1.71 based on our discounted rate on Friday. The $1.75 at a marina is an incredible deal. Current Florida rates are $1.76 to $3.96.

Bundaberg was $1.14 per litre on the 8th of May. Good enough value to top up the tanks!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom