FlopperStoppers make them on the cheap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogranjac1

Auscan.
I made my floppers based on some I saw on a big wooden trawler moored in the 'duck pond' at Townsville. The bloke just used a security screen door and wired some rubber mats on them and then hung one on each end of a yacht mast that he lashed to the cabin roof.:D gotta love some guys !!
Any how mine were a little more elaborate as they needed to be able to be packed away when travelling by road.

The pics of the floppers are a bit of perspective to size in the pics - my floppers measured 1 metre x 700mm each as my boat is a minnow compared to the trawler who had 2 whole screen doors.

1. I scored a window security screen from a demo site and cut it in half with a angle grinder.
2. Went to Clark Rubber and bought some rubber mat and screwed it to each end of the screen and then sliced it down the middle with a Stanley knife.
3. Bought a 6.5mt length of 40mm ally tube from Capral and had them cut it in half and also 1 mtr of 25mm tube. 4. Got two '90 deg. 25 mm 'T's' from Whitworths and put them on the hand rails.
5. looked in the shed and rustled up some old cray pot line for hanging the floppers from the poles and securing them at the preferred angle to the boat.

PIC 5 Slide the 40mm tube over the 25mm ally and all the way to the 90 deg elbow - this holds it from rattling or moving about
PIC 7 This flopper is actually opening in this pic - remember the other flopper at this time is closing and cancelling the roll.

You should be able to conclude how I went about assembling the flopper and hanging them by looking at the following pics. Getting the angle of the poles is up to you - I had them far enough away from the side of the boat so the tinnie could be brought alongside for provisions etc.

The whole show cost less $150 to make
Hope you guys get some ideas and make 'em as they are rippers:dance:

Attachments

• DSC02274 (Small).JPG
    DSC02274 (Small).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC02275 (Small).JPG
    DSC02275 (Small).JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02273 (Small).JPG
    DSC02273 (Small).JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC02278 (Small).JPG
    DSC02278 (Small).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC02277 (Small).JPG
    DSC02277 (Small).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC02188 (Small).JPG
    DSC02188 (Small).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC02190 (Small).JPG
    DSC02190 (Small).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC02244 (Small).JPG
    DSC02244 (Small).JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 166
Bogran,
I love that. I could make one for Willy as a commercial one came w the boat 10 years ago. The PO probably used only one. I'm not sure we ever had the pole and rigging. Could make that too but I always seem to have something more important on the fire.

Mine have SS sheet metal "doors". In Alaska where we used to have anchorages that were small and deep (usually) but almost always protected from waves so had little motovation to use the no fwd motion floppers. That's different now .... To a large extent. Great post of yours.

Keep us posted on how this works out, I am looking for a similar solution.
I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the mounting of the poles. The system puts considerable strain on the point where the rail mounts to the cabin, and constantly "works".
I see fore and aft guy wires, but the major strain is on the vertical axis, where I see none.
If you post this on "Other Systems", or "General Discussion", you will likely get a lot more response.

Last edited:
Hope you guys get some ideas and make 'em as they are rippers:dance:

Thanks mate!
Some great ideas. I love the use of the screen door.
My mast can easily handle the vertical load, and the boom will work as one outrigger. I've even got a HD security screen door collecting dust in the back shed. I'm more than half way there already. :dance:

One question - what's the little cut out section in the flopper stopper for?

Last edited:
Flopped stoppers are great... a quick or poor man's version is hang the dingy off the boom off one side a foot or so off the water. Letting it into the water but then lifting it out has reduced the roll quite a bit on 2 of my boom capable boats

Thanks mate!
Some great ideas. I love the use of the screen door.
My mast can easily handle the vertical load, and the boom will work as one outrigger. I've even got a HD security screen door collecting dust in the back shed. I'm more than half way there already. :dance:

One question - what's the little cut out section in the flopper stopper for?

Auscan , disregard the little cut-out !! that was where, when the screen was attached to window you stuck your hand through to open the catch on the hopper window.

Keep us posted on how this works out, I am looking for a similar solution.
I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the mounting of the poles. The system puts considerable strain on the point where the rail mounts to the cabin, and constantly "works".
I see fore and aft guy wires, but the major strain is on the vertical axis, where I see none.
If you post this on "Other Systems", or "General Discussion", you will likely get a lot more response.

I am not interested in posting elsewhere thx, and further more not interested in critical analysis.
The system has been employed for the last 3 months without slightest concern.
This post is in the "downunder' section where it is intended and will stay there...thx

same system using bread trays can be utilised for larger yachts/boats. A mate of mine has used these on his 45 ft yacht.

My boom only extends a couple of feet from the boat, and obviously only on one side at a time.

Would it even be worth trying to use that for a flopper stopper?

Would it be worth putting out two, from cleats on each side, with no boom?

My boom only extends a couple of feet from the boat, and obviously only on one side at a time.

While having them on booms works better, I've used them in the manner you discribe, straight off the cleats, and it works well . Especially if you deploy them off both sides.

My experience with these on previous boats has been, "something is better than nothing".

You could always add a few feet with a boom extension.

Back
Top Bottom