Old 10-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #1

City: Perth
FlopperStoppers make them on the cheap

Auscan.
I made my floppers based on some I saw on a big wooden trawler moored in the 'duck pond' at Townsville. The bloke just used a security screen door and wired some rubber mats on them and then hung one on each end of a yacht mast that he lashed to the cabin roof. gotta love some guys !!
Any how mine were a little more elaborate as they needed to be able to be packed away when travelling by road.

The pics of the floppers are a bit of perspective to size in the pics - my floppers measured 1 metre x 700mm each as my boat is a minnow compared to the trawler who had 2 whole screen doors.

1. I scored a window security screen from a demo site and cut it in half with a angle grinder.
2. Went to Clark Rubber and bought some rubber mat and screwed it to each end of the screen and then sliced it down the middle with a Stanley knife.
3. Bought a 6.5mt length of 40mm ally tube from Capral and had them cut it in half and also 1 mtr of 25mm tube. 4. Got two '90 deg. 25 mm 'T's' from Whitworths and put them on the hand rails.
5. looked in the shed and rustled up some old cray pot line for hanging the floppers from the poles and securing them at the preferred angle to the boat.

PIC 5 Slide the 40mm tube over the 25mm ally and all the way to the 90 deg elbow - this holds it from rattling or moving about
PIC 7 This flopper is actually opening in this pic - remember the other flopper at this time is closing and cancelling the roll.

You should be able to conclude how I went about assembling the flopper and hanging them by looking at the following pics. Getting the angle of the poles is up to you - I had them far enough away from the side of the boat so the tinnie could be brought alongside for provisions etc.

The whole show cost less $150 to make
Hope you guys get some ideas and make 'em as they are rippers
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02274 (Small).JPG   DSC02275 (Small).JPG   DSC02273 (Small).JPG   DSC02278 (Small).JPG   DSC02277 (Small).JPG  

DSC02188 (Small).JPG   DSC02190 (Small).JPG   DSC02244 (Small).JPG  
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
A nice set up. A bet the morning coffee doesn't' spill after a good nights sleep.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bogran,
I love that. I could make one for Willy as a commercial one came w the boat 10 years ago. The PO probably used only one. I'm not sure we ever had the pole and rigging. Could make that too but I always seem to have something more important on the fire.

Mine have SS sheet metal "doors". In Alaska where we used to have anchorages that were small and deep (usually) but almost always protected from waves so had little motovation to use the no fwd motion floppers. That's different now .... To a large extent. Great post of yours.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Keep us posted on how this works out, I am looking for a similar solution.
I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the mounting of the poles. The system puts considerable strain on the point where the rail mounts to the cabin, and constantly "works".
I see fore and aft guy wires, but the major strain is on the vertical axis, where I see none.
If you post this on "Other Systems", or "General Discussion", you will likely get a lot more response.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Hope you guys get some ideas and make 'em as they are rippers
Thanks mate!
Some great ideas. I love the use of the screen door.
My mast can easily handle the vertical load, and the boom will work as one outrigger. I've even got a HD security screen door collecting dust in the back shed. I'm more than half way there already.

One question - what's the little cut out section in the flopper stopper for?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Flopped stoppers are great... a quick or poor man's version is hang the dingy off the boom off one side a foot or so off the water. Letting it into the water but then lifting it out has reduced the roll quite a bit on 2 of my boom capable boats
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Thanks mate!
Some great ideas. I love the use of the screen door.
My mast can easily handle the vertical load, and the boom will work as one outrigger. I've even got a HD security screen door collecting dust in the back shed. I'm more than half way there already.

One question - what's the little cut out section in the flopper stopper for?
Auscan , disregard the little cut-out !! that was where, when the screen was attached to window you stuck your hand through to open the catch on the hopper window.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnd View Post
Keep us posted on how this works out, I am looking for a similar solution.
I like the ingenuity, but I would be concerned about the mounting of the poles. The system puts considerable strain on the point where the rail mounts to the cabin, and constantly "works".
I see fore and aft guy wires, but the major strain is on the vertical axis, where I see none.
If you post this on "Other Systems", or "General Discussion", you will likely get a lot more response.
I am not interested in posting elsewhere thx, and further more not interested in critical analysis.
The system has been employed for the last 3 months without slightest concern.
This post is in the "downunder' section where it is intended and will stay there...thx
Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
same system using bread trays can be utilised for larger yachts/boats. A mate of mine has used these on his 45 ft yacht.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
My boom only extends a couple of feet from the boat, and obviously only on one side at a time.

Would it even be worth trying to use that for a flopper stopper?

Would it be worth putting out two, from cleats on each side, with no boom?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
My boom only extends a couple of feet from the boat, and obviously only on one side at a time.

While having them on booms works better, I've used them in the manner you discribe, straight off the cleats, and it works well . Especially if you deploy them off both sides.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

My experience with these on previous boats has been, "something is better than nothing".

You could always add a few feet with a boom extension.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote