Flexible solar panels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Conventional rigid panels need an inch or so of airspace underneath for cooling air circulation. Do flexibles not need that?
I screwed teak mounts to my rigid panels and sikaflexed the teak to the teak, rather than screw it on. Avoiding the double whammy of breaching the FB deck and flexing the rigid panels due to possible surface unevenness.
Hickers, love that Clipper 45, my current "next boat" ambition is a Clipper 40(MT40).

Thanks Bruce, They are lovely boats and very good in not so nice weather.
In regard to flex panels they can be attached direct to the deck however as panel temperature climbs output falls. I went for flex to keep a low profile and avoid the weight of glass. Buying cheap panels was a mistake but the best ones are 3 times the price!

Thanks Bruce, They are lovely boats and very good in not so nice weather.
In regard to flex panels they can be attached direct to the deck however as panel temperature climbs output falls. I went for flex to keep a low profile and avoid the weight of glass. Buying cheap panels was a mistake but the best ones are 3 times the price!

Hickers, I'm sorry, but I gotta say this. There is a saying, "to spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar"... :nonono:

After all, you have a Clipper 45...a new Clipper 45, ok..? 'nuff said..? :D

I gotta say I have the chinese flex panels, laid on the wheelhouse top , glued down with high strength bonding agent, slim line connection boxes, well wired and sealed. 4 of these couples with a similar sized pair of Al framed panels. All are doing well after a few years service. With the fitting of the new regulator I will get a better view of the output on a daily basis and have a better understanding of their output.
At present they appear to be doing their job, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom