Old 11-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #21

City: Sydney
Vessel Model: 31' Mariner
Wow Rebel, you made me feel bad. My boat is a 15 minute drive from me.

You've used your boat more in the past few years then I have and you live on the other side of the island.

Good on you. That's being keen.
Flybridge31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
FB31 - I have trouble lining up others to boat with as I don't work a normal Mon-Fri shift. Luckily I don't mind going out on my own for a cruise or a fish.
I try to get out every couple of days while I am home, but work OS 6 months of the year.
Even if the weather is ugly I often waste an afternoon puttering around on the boat, sometimes achieving something, sometimes not.

Most of us on TF, myself included cruise at 6-8 knots. (Me closer to 6) although we have a few speedsters who like to stir up the water.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome Fly, if I can call you that..? I have a Mariner 31 moored next to me at Horizon Shores marina, which is just north of the Gold Coast, and fortunately just further enough north to dodge that nasty hail storm a few days ago. Boats further south at Gold Coast City Marina had thousands of dollars damage. Some of the hail was baseball sized.
Mariners 31 and the 34, certainly come within our sphere, although most owners of them run them much faster, as they are a true planing hull, really. Still, I'm not one to lose sleep over the old under loading chestnut. As long as they are not running too cool, who cares, and if you are happy at displacement speed, so be it. I might even have a sort of pic of one if I can find it, but it'll have to wait until I'm on my laptop, I don't have many pics on my pad.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Welcome Fly, if I can call you that..? I have a Mariner 31 moored next to me at Horizon Shores marina, which is just north of the Gold Coast, and fortunately just further enough north to dodge that nasty hail storm a few days ago. Boats further south at Gold Coast City Marina had thousands of dollars damage. Some of the hail was baseball sized. Mariners 31 and the 34, certainly come within our sphere, although most owners of them run them much faster, as they are a true planing hull, really. Still, I'm not one to lose sleep over the old under loading chestnut. As long as they are not running too cool, who cares, and if you are happy at displacement speed, so be it. I might even have a sort of pic of one if I can find it, but it'll have to wait until I'm on my laptop, I don't have many pics on my pad.
Sounds like you were lucky! Pendana a 62 Nordhavn posted pictures on their Facebook, there're whole deck overhang was like cottage cheese, and they also got there're fiberglass chipped.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #25

Vessel Model: 31' Mariner
Hi Pete

I know what you mean. My brother lives on the Gold Coast and he got water damage from the hail.

Needs a new ceiling in the kitchen and a new kitchen and his only been in this house for 2 years.

I'd hate to think of the boat damage on all those boats up there.
Flybridge31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #26

Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polaris 35
Hi Flybridge 31. Its not so much a matter of being keen as addicted and the only way to get my fix is to book early with Virgin or whoever to get low airfares and fit in whatever time is available. Hopefully next year will be the start of actually retiring ha ha. However even on our mooring we have multi million dollar views but my advantage over the others with the same views on land, I can move. I hope you can find the time to enjoy your boat more. This addiction is good
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Carson City
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 NS
There was some talk about fuel consumption and speed. 1900 RPM + - 2 GPH = 7.5 to 8 KTs. Doesn't mean though in the Pacific Northwest that is SOG. I can carry 980 gals of fuel full.
Welcome.. I found a LOT of experience and advice on this site.....there are a lot of guys with a lot of opinions, experience and knowledge... which is great!
rpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote