Old 03-28-2017, 05:31 AM   #1

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
cyclone Queensland

Hi has any one heard or viewed how the Marinas faired at Abel point and Hamilton ? We are considering heading up in winter , but after today we might give it a miss for a year, as I assume the places will requiring some rebuilding first ?

Regards Chris D Liberty
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Chris

A bit of Debbie stuff on this thread http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lia-31106.html

Just saw an interview with the local Member of Commonwealth Parliament, who has been in contact with constituents, and he said a few worrying things: 'boat soup', 'structural damage to marinas'.

You might have seen the video of 3 boats at Hamilton breaking free of their berths, and one at Airlie also crashing into a breakwater? That was early this afternoon. Sustained strong winds afterwards though. There will be others damaged I'm sure. At Airlie some fingers also appear to be damaged based on the tangle of boats in one photo I saw.

But we won't really know until after daylight tomorrow when it is safe to go outside and begin assessments, and when power and communications will start to be restored.

Having said that, I am still planning on heading up that way in May. The infrastructure is vital for tourism, it will be quickly restored. Places like Mackay marina are I understand largely not impacted and you could get all the supplies you need from there, its a really good jumping off point for an extended period in the Whitsunday area.

By the time you would be in the area I'm sure it will be fine for visiting cruisers as well as the bareboat charter fleet.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
Here are some links to photos of damage to Hamilton Island marina
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...34080330098014
http://www.boatsales.com.au/editoria...-debbie-58872/
marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
TF Site Team

Thanks marcoh

Looks bad. Its looking like there has been a large amount of damage to marinas in the region.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
On top of the wind damage and existing flooding, the weather system is becoming a rain depression, with 16-20 inches of rain forecast, predicted to fall over a short period in some areas, like 3 hours, and extending south in Queensland and even into New South Wales.It`s not over yet.
Events like this bring out the best in people,like rescuers,State Emergency Service, Ambulance, Police, military, neighbours supporting each other. And the worst,there is evidence of looting, one guy even had his car stolen.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Well the worst of Debbie is over. Hinkers was in Airlie and had moved ashore before the cyclone hit. Managed to come out of it pretty well unscathed. Minor damage as is to be expected during these events.
I think pretty terrifying just the same.
The marina there suffered a bit of damage but should be back in service fully before the cruising season. Hammo got pounded and one finger broke away and some pretty big/expensive boats ended up on the bricks. The rest of Hammo especially the eastern side got trashed.
I have been keeping Tidahapah in Mackay since the end of last cruising season and the marina there copped a flogging. The outside main finger lost a few berths and boats were all over the place, I think in the main scratches, bruises, sail and canvas damage.
My own berth ( I rent it from a mate of mine) started to come apart but due to the good work of marina residents they held it all together.
Looks like I will have to find another berth until repairs are carried out.
Mind you I am not there I am on the other side of the country on a rig tender watching it on the book of faces and communicating with my friends on site.
It would appear that we will not get water or power back to the marina for a week or 2.
Everything will be up and running before you know it. Don't not go north everyone requires you to come up , use the facilities and spend some money.
It is going to be a great season see you up there.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
TF Site Team

Thanks for the update Benn. I was wondering whether Hickers was at Airlie or still in Perth. Glad to hear he came through Ok. There seemed to be a lot of beached boats around Airlie/Shute Harbour, but I suspected they were moored/anchored, and not in marina's.

I'll be heading up sometime in May. No firm itinerary yet, but I'd like to get to Lady Musgrave fairly quickly. After that I'll just go with the weather. Will likely go as far as Lizard this year.

We've had over 200mm of rain in Brisbane over the last day and a half, but not much wind. Might be some winds yet, with more rain, as it wont clear for a few more hours.
Flooding in the usual areas, but still some people get caught out. My prep for the boat and at home was not really necessary, but better to be ready than trying to react under adverse conditions.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 AM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Yes Shute Harbour really copped it but then again so many boats on moorings, think a lot of charter boats got trashed.
Hope to catch up when you are heading north.
I get home in about 3 weeks, then it is up to Mackay, haul out for antifoul, refit my generator and should be ready for cruising.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
It appears a bit of a tail end flogging in Moolooalab too. Our boat got hit by some gusts and lost solar panels and took out a hf antenna. No other issues as yet but it is still night time so will have to see in morning. I too am away and am hearing second hand. But the region lost power poles and trees and some roofing. Biggest gust hit 60 knots.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 AM   #10

City: Surfers Paradise
Too soon to cancel. The picture re availability of marina berths, fuel depots and the parks will become much clearer in the next few weeks.
Hamilton isl is allowing boat owners whose boat are moored there to come to the island from tomorrow. The ship lift is operational and whilst no boats are allowed to enter the marina the fuel dock does not appear badly damaged so would expect it to start operating soon. Certainly before the winter.
If you can delay your decision do so.
Most of the owners I know at Hamilton isl and Abell Point intend to keep their boat there and have repairs done locally.
Hamo is offline   Reply With Quote