Christmas, New Year- Who's heading out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boating is year-round here, while avoiding the occasional rain/wind storms expected this time of year. Like, last weekend went on a day trip: sky was clear, water calm. In past occasions made overnight anchor-outs Thanksgiving and Christmas days.

Last edited:
to the Brisbane based boaters,
I wouldn't mind doing a cruise on Morton bay going south to the Nerag river area in the next couple of weeks before I depart Qld waters.
I don't particularly care where the location is as it would be a return cruise.
Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive.:eek:.
Thx Brett

Brett
I can't help personally - I live in the inner city where I barely have enough parking for our family. In the south a place worth considering would be Gold Coast City Marina. They have a large site, so I'm sure there would be a secure area for your 'Cruiser and trailer.
Gold Coast City Marina & Shipyard

Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive.:eek:. Thx Brett[/QUOTE said:
If it`s only for a week you can leave it at my house at Capalaba , I have a large concrete slab I use to park a truck and a caravan on that I no longer use

6032_10208724220485759_2191088140199228957_n.jpg
photo.php
this was the Southerly change moving over the Gold Coast last night

Hi Guys. Well, yes, thanks to the weather cracking up, we didn't even go out either Sunday or Monday (today), as it happened. Glad we didn't, and thanks for the heads up Brian, although I would have checked the Marine forecast Sunday anyway, but it brought my attention to the iffy change sooner, rather than later. Turned nasty Sunday pm actually, with a nasty thunderstorm and heavy rain and then the wind, so coming back in would have been 'exciting', and the honking wind today was as forecasted. All those beautiful weekends we did not go out, and the one time we decide to...bugger..!

Yes, Bruce, we got what the Sydney/Hobart yachts copped, and it certainly was more like the severe original forecast than the downgraded one they came out with later.
I suspect Rambler or even Syd Fischer's Ragamuffin might prevail in the end. Maybe not, having checked the places online. Looks like Comanche the US boat will do it for line honours.

to the Brisbane based boaters,
I wouldn't mind doing a cruise on Morton bay going south to the Nerag river area in the next couple of weeks before I depart Qld waters.
I don't particularly care where the location is as it would be a return cruise.
Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive.:eek:.
Thx Brett

Horizon Shores, just north of Jacob's Well, where my boat is moored has really good ramp and vehicle & trailer parking facilities. Might be work giving them a call if that is more like where you might want to end up for a spell, Brett.

Horizon Shores Marina | Marina Berths | Drystack Storage | Boat Ramp

We spent Xmas at the Isle of Hope marina just south of Savannah, lovely place with beautiful homes on the water. We're currently in Bruswick GA a bit off the ICW and will probably be on a mooring ball in Fernandina Beach for New Years. If you're in town you'll probably find us a Peppers.

Was planning a day trip up Kildala Arm, but it's -7C with 35 knot northerly outflow winds forecasted this afternoon. Problem is, the accuracy of the forecasts are abysmal this far up Douglas Channel...they've been calling for steady 30 knot winds all week but we've only seen gusts up to 20 knots.

Kildala Arm will be completely protected from north winds, but the thought of beating our way upwind and chipping frozen spray off the pilothouse windows for an hour to get home isn't very appealing!

Last edited:
Was planning a day trip up Kildala Arm, but it's -7C with 35 knot northerly outflow winds forecasted this afternoon. Problem is, the accuracy of the forecasts are abysmal this far up Douglas Channel...they've been calling for steady 30 knot winds all week but we've only seen gusts up to 20 knots.

Kildala Arm will be completely protected from north winds, but the thought of beating our way upwind and chipping frozen spray off the pilothouse windows for an hour to get home isn't very appealing!

Hi Murray
Don't know if you have looked at https://www.windyty.com/?53.390,-128.342,7, it seems to be pretty good down here in Sidney, BC. It shows the wind up in your area as pretty light for a few days, might want to see how it corresponds to your actual conditions.

Here are a couple of screen shots...........:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.37.17 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.37.17 AM.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.38.21 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.38.21 AM.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 88
Hi Mike,

They must be getting their wind data from somewhere in town. The current winds at Nanakwa Shoal (about 7 miles down the channel) is 23 knots;

*Note: buoy cannot read wave height if wave period is less than 3 seconds...will read .3 metre when they could be 3 metres!

Nanakwa Shoal current conditions:
Douglas Channel - North Coast - Environment Canada

...with a gale warning in effect for 35 knot winds later today;

Douglas Channel marine forecast:
Douglas Channel - North Coast - Environment Canada

We didn't go and had a short hike and a restaurant lunch instead. Figured it was prudent not to go considering the forecast and that the pilothouse doors were frozen shut. All was not lost as we shared the sunrise with Canada geese, seals, otters, bald eagles, and a couple swans.

Here's a couple photo's where you might want to note how the ocean is steaming because it's so warm (7C) compared to the surrounding air (Brrrrrrr)

Attachments

• MK Bay, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
    MK Bay, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Minette Bay entrance, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
    Minette Bay entrance, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Happy 2016 all. Been land cruising since end of November with a short drive to Perth from Hervey Bay where Bluechip is safely secured. Currently in Barossa enjoying a few local wines before heading for Melbourne then back to the boat by Jan 22. Plan to head south with first stop in Mooloolaba, then Raby Bay, Gold Coast, Clarence River and then ??.

Back
Top Bottom