Click image for larger version

Name:	Vancouver stormy sky.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	47661  

West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:40 AM   #22
Guru

Christmas Eve we were spoilt for choice of National Parks moorings in beautiful deep water bays on the Broken Bay/Hawkesbury River boating grounds. Around 1pm we picked up a mooring in Castle Lagoon off Yeomans Bay, we had a choice of either, the procession of boats arriving began Christmas Day pm. Castle Lagoon ranks with Pinta Bay off Jerusalem Bay, and Smiths Creek, IMO. A lovely place to spend Christmas.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Sounds good Bruce. We decided not to go out this time of year unless the forecast is for cooool weather. It's 35 C outside here right now. Thank Gaard for Aircon. We are going to take friends out for the day on Monday.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:56 AM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Sounds good Bruce. We decided not to go out this time of year unless the forecast is for cooool weather. It's 35 C outside here right now. Thank Gaard for Aircon. We are going to take friends out for the day on Monday.
Pete
I'm on the hook and its just 29. Have you checked Seebreeze wind forecasts? From Monday its not going to be nice. Unless you just are hiding amongst the islands in the southern bay
Old 12-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #25
Guru

Peter, hot weather in Sydney is being displaced by a strong southerly front, my still falling barometer reads 1001 just now. The Sydney Hobart fleet are expecting a tough first night, before that the US sailboat/yacht Comanche claims to exceed 30 knots downwind under spinnaker(you could water-ski behind it if drag didn`t rule it out). The change will head up the NSW east coast, barring blocking systems you should see cooler conditions in Qld.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:12 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Pete
I'm on the hook and its just 29. Have you checked Seebreeze wind forecasts? From Monday its not going to be nice. Unless you just are hiding amongst the islands in the southern bay
Good grief! I just checked Seabreeze, the change hits around midnight Saturday and clears Sydney around Monday, but Brisbane is predicted to get nearly a week of SE mischief from Monday on.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:27 AM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Pete
Thanks for that Brian. I was under the impression things were looking good for most of the next week, but you are right, (so much for the landlubber forecast), the winds are meant to be light tomorrow with a late change to 15 - 25kn late Sunday into Monday, and for the rest of the week. We might see if we can bring the outing forward to tomorrow.

You will enjoy the fireworks wherever you are, but we have enjoyed taking the boat up the river for those, and then overnighting there in the city on the pick afterwards many times, so we are sort of over it now. But it is a great way to participate. Rather nice to have all the mod cons to hand, including the food & champers etc, then after the hubbub has died down, and most of the other boats, especially the myriad of small ones, have gone home, you virtually have the river to yourself.

Cheers,
Old 12-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #28
Guru

Southerly change is through Sydney, coming your way Peter. Wild Oats and others retired after 50 knot winds were encountered, Comanche too until they figured they could repair their damaged rudder and continue. A first ever Chinese entry finished their race in 300M with a nasty collision. The starter`s boat began taking water just before race start and had to be replaced by another that was not sinking.
A word of congrats to our Mods for keeping the Board nice. Checking on the S-H race, I viewed, as a guest, a CF thread on the race. It was virtually 15 pages of bitching over a 2 month period, with the odd sensible post, plus (unsurprisingly) adverts on CF for Mantus products.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Southerly change is through Sydney, coming your way Peter. Wild Oats and others retired after 50 knot winds were encountered, Comanche too until they figured they could repair their damaged rudder and continue. A first ever Chinese entry finished their race in 300M with a nasty collision. The starter`s boat began taking water just before race start and had to be replaced by another that was not sinking.
A word of congrats to our Mods for keeping the Board nice. Checking on the S-H race, I viewed, as a guest, a CF thread on the race. It was virtually 15 pages of bitching over a 2 month period, with the odd sensible post, plus (unsurprisingly) adverts on CF for Mantus products.
The worst arguments ever on this board wouldn't even merit a ranking on CF. Two many wildly different types of users there.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:00 PM   #30

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
possible trailer/vehicle storage around Brissy?

to the Brisbane based boaters,
I wouldn't mind doing a cruise on Morton bay going south to the Nerag river area in the next couple of weeks before I depart Qld waters.
I don't particularly care where the location is as it would be a return cruise.
Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive..
Thx Brett
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Boating is year-round here, while avoiding the occasional rain/wind storms expected this time of year. Like, last weekend went on a day trip: sky was clear, water calm. In past occasions made overnight anchor-outs Thanksgiving and Christmas days.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #32
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
I wouldn't mind doing a cruise on Morton bay going south to the Nerag river area in the next couple of weeks before I depart Qld waters.
Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive..
Thx Brett
Brett
I can't help personally - I live in the inner city where I barely have enough parking for our family. In the south a place worth considering would be Gold Coast City Marina. They have a large site, so I'm sure there would be a secure area for your 'Cruiser and trailer.
Gold Coast City Marina & Shipyard
Old 12-28-2015, 02:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane (boats on the Gold Coast)
Vessel Name: Hassall Free
Vessel Model: Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
[QUOTE=Would appreciate any info on possible places to store the landcruiser and trailer for around a week that are not seriously expensive..
Thx Brett[/QUOTE]

If it`s only for a week you can leave it at my house at Capalaba , I have a large concrete slab I use to park a truck and a caravan on that I no longer use
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Brisbane (boats on the Gold Coast)
Vessel Name: Hassall Free
Vessel Model: Riviera 35 Aft Cabin
this was the Southerly change moving over the Gold Coast last night
Yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:35 AM   #35
TF Site Team

Hi Guys. Well, yes, thanks to the weather cracking up, we didn't even go out either Sunday or Monday (today), as it happened. Glad we didn't, and thanks for the heads up Brian, although I would have checked the Marine forecast Sunday anyway, but it brought my attention to the iffy change sooner, rather than later. Turned nasty Sunday pm actually, with a nasty thunderstorm and heavy rain and then the wind, so coming back in would have been 'exciting', and the honking wind today was as forecasted. All those beautiful weekends we did not go out, and the one time we decide to...bugger..!

Yes, Bruce, we got what the Sydney/Hobart yachts copped, and it certainly was more like the severe original forecast than the downgraded one they came out with later.
I suspect Rambler or even Syd Fischer's Ragamuffin might prevail in the end. Maybe not, having checked the places online. Looks like Comanche the US boat will do it for line honours.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:39 AM   #36
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogranjac1 View Post
Thx Brett
Horizon Shores, just north of Jacob's Well, where my boat is moored has really good ramp and vehicle & trailer parking facilities. Might be work giving them a call if that is more like where you might want to end up for a spell, Brett.

Horizon Shores Marina | Marina Berths | Drystack Storage | Boat Ramp
Old 12-28-2015, 06:33 AM   #37
Guru

We spent Xmas at the Isle of Hope marina just south of Savannah, lovely place with beautiful homes on the water. We're currently in Bruswick GA a bit off the ICW and will probably be on a mooring ball in Fernandina Beach for New Years. If you're in town you'll probably find us a Peppers.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #38
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Was planning a day trip up Kildala Arm, but it's -7C with 35 knot northerly outflow winds forecasted this afternoon. Problem is, the accuracy of the forecasts are abysmal this far up Douglas Channel...they've been calling for steady 30 knot winds all week but we've only seen gusts up to 20 knots.

Kildala Arm will be completely protected from north winds, but the thought of beating our way upwind and chipping frozen spray off the pilothouse windows for an hour to get home isn't very appealing!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Was planning a day trip up Kildala Arm, but it's -7C with 35 knot northerly outflow winds forecasted this afternoon. Problem is, the accuracy of the forecasts are abysmal this far up Douglas Channel...they've been calling for steady 30 knot winds all week but we've only seen gusts up to 20 knots.

Kildala Arm will be completely protected from north winds, but the thought of beating our way upwind and chipping frozen spray off the pilothouse windows for an hour to get home isn't very appealing!
Hi Murray
Don't know if you have looked at https://www.windyty.com/?53.390,-128.342,7, it seems to be pretty good down here in Sidney, BC. It shows the wind up in your area as pretty light for a few days, might want to see how it corresponds to your actual conditions.

Here are a couple of screen shots...........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.37.17 AM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	47706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2015-12-28 at 9.38.21 AM.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	47707  
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hi Mike,

They must be getting their wind data from somewhere in town. The current winds at Nanakwa Shoal (about 7 miles down the channel) is 23 knots;

*Note: buoy cannot read wave height if wave period is less than 3 seconds...will read .3 metre when they could be 3 metres!

Nanakwa Shoal current conditions:
Douglas Channel - North Coast - Environment Canada

...with a gale warning in effect for 35 knot winds later today;

Douglas Channel marine forecast:
Douglas Channel - North Coast - Environment Canada

We didn't go and had a short hike and a restaurant lunch instead. Figured it was prudent not to go considering the forecast and that the pilothouse doors were frozen shut. All was not lost as we shared the sunrise with Canada geese, seals, otters, bald eagles, and a couple swans.

Here's a couple photo's where you might want to note how the ocean is steaming because it's so warm (7C) compared to the surrounding air (Brrrrrrr)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MK Bay, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	47711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Minette Bay entrance, Dec 28, 2015.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	47712