The "C" Word

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
Well, I`m nervous about using it. Not the "c" word the ABC tells us is ok to use on media,and inferentially anywhere else, but the longer version:
"Cricket"
Shane Warne doesn`t seem troubled, there`s proof positive how bad it is.
The phrase "it`s not cricket" just lost meaning.
I thought we were looking at a different kind of ball tampering when I saw Bancroft putting the tape down his pants, just before lying to the umpires enquiring into his actions.
Shame on Smith and Warner. A cheating Captain? What next? A one match suspension is nowhere near enough. A lifetime ban might be about right. Especially for imposing on the newest baggy green member to do the dirty work.

Last edited:
That is truly weird - must be an Aussie thing? Comes about by being upside down all the time.

My parents came back from Australia with an atlas, and WE were the upside down ones :D

Bruce,
When I moved to Australia 35 years ago, I tried my best to get into cricket. I learned the rules, friends explained all the details, I watched live matches, test cricket, listened to cricket it on ABC radio. I was determined to learn the secret to why people watched it. I thought it may be a requirement when I applied for citizenship.

A few years later I watched my first Aussie Rules football game. That is truly an Australian game. I've completely given up on the cricket. I never did work out why a game is played for 5 days, and a winner cannot be determined. ????

Now my only question is why anyone still watches it.

We were just discussing this the other day and concluded cricket is just an excuse to drink gin and tonics. Now you know why the game lasts 5 days, and nobody can figure out who won.

Yes,a weird game we acquired from the UK. Supposed to be played by gentlemen who if "out", "walk" back to the locker room voluntarily, even before the umpire so rules.
Featuring near interminable delays between bowling,while the field placement is adjusted, the ball is shined to bounce differently, etc. Or in this case, dishonestly abraded to produce reverse spin using grit from the ground adhered to the plastic tape,and later concealed in the trousers of a guilty player.
You can tell who won and lost, it can get interesting towards the end of a close match. Except when it`s a draw, and no one does.
It doesn`t have to take 5 days, there are are one day matches, 20/20 matches, etc.And some odd often "fixed" matches in India.
I`d rather go boating.

When the 20/20 games first started I had no interest in them. Now its the format I prefer. Cricket, both the national players and administration started to lose the plot quite a few years ago. But the Cape Town debacle is a low point. An absolute disgrace. Its a game after all, and if you cheat you don't win regardless of the scoreboard. Let's wait and see whether all the participants in the cheating are properly punished. Suspension without pay while a formal investigation is completed would be a good start.

Its time for the Melbourne Cricket Ground to be re-named the Melbourne Football Ground. Cricket is dead without a complete uses the ground more frequently and has higher attendance levels. Ditto for the Sydney Cricket Ground.

But the Cape Town debacle is a low point. An absolute disgrace. Its a game after all, and if you cheat you don't win regardless of the scoreboard.

Tell that to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots.

Ted

I remember when I lived in England back in the '70s... the BBC television would air hours of nothing but rain... on the cricket field/pitch/swamp/whatever-it-was-called. About every 5-10 minutes the announced (in best golf commentary voice) would mention that so far, the match between such-and-such and so-and-so was on a rain delay. (Duh.) Can't remember if that was BBC2 or BBC4, but it was apparently in the days before alternative programming was invented.

But watching the rain made about as much sense as watching an actual match, near as I could tell. :)

-Chris

Apparently putting a fishing rod in a lazy guy's hand makes him look busy and respectable. Well, cricket takes that concept a step further: you don't even have to pretend that you are doing something!

A dull spectator sport in many ways, but it does have a following. There are many players at state, local and school level,way different to the high paid elite international players who get the publicity.
It does require physical fitness, encouraging players to get fit and healthy. Bowlers are prone to spinal vertebra stress fractures, indicating the load bowling imposes on the body. Batsmen need fitness too,injury due to body loading is not uncommon.There are injuries,even deaths, due to being hit by a ball. Is there another sport where players need wear a plastic "box" to protect "the family jewels" from the cricket ball.
Sport that encourages exercise and fitness can be good.
Sport that encourages cheating at any player level is not.

Greetings,
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned, if you play at home, the bother of taking all those hoops and pegs out of the lawn before you can run the mower...I never realized it was on the telly.

200w.gif

Never heard of ball-tampering in croquet, but that might be its only advantage over cricket!

The teak deck craze probably started with wood boats especially larger boats. The popularity probably spread and when FG started up many (again probably) wanted the hansome wood decks. But it was a dumb idea .. and it still is. Would be better w solid FG decks w/o plywood backing but that would be heavier than either FG decks or wood and FG. Best just forget about wood decks on FG boats.
But whatever sells as new will be what used boat buyers get.

The teak deck craze probably started with wood boats especially larger boats. The popularity probably spread and when FG started up many (again probably) wanted the hansome wood decks. But it was a dumb idea .. and it still is. Would be better w solid FG decks w/o plywood backing but that would be heavier than either FG decks or wood and FG. Best just forget about wood decks on FG boats.
But whatever sells as new will be what used boat buyers get.
Eric,That`s just as relevant to the thread as RTF`s croquet post.
RTF, you need spellcheck.:). Those croquet players (probably) don`t even have balls.

There are injuries,even deaths, due to being hit by a ball. Is there another sport where players need wear a plastic "box" to protect "the family jewels" from the cricket ball.
Sport that encourages exercise and fitness can be good.
Sport that encourages cheating at any player level is not.

I use to play goalie in ice hockey. While a ball to the jewels would be unpleasant, a frozen hockey puck from a slap shot is many times worse. The cup I had was padded metal. All other hockey players wear a plastic cup.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom