Brisbane River sights New Year 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peter B

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Make
Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi all, on our way up the River for the N/Y fireworks, we passed the odd interesting sight...thought they might be of interest..?
Storey Bridge, Kookaburru Queen paddle wheeler, Cheoy Lee 68 moored right next to us at Rivergate, and Gateway Bridge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Sights on the Brisbane River

Ok, well it appears my iPad pics are so large I have to upload one at a time. This is the Cheoy Lee which was next to us...what a beauty...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 127
This is the Kookaburra Queen paddle steamer...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 122
Gateway bridge...now duplicated due to huge demand. Part of an Eastern by-pass of Brisbane City itself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 131
On the way up, we passed the Rhapsody of the seas at the southern port near the mouth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 152
On the way up, we passed the Rhapsody of the seas at the southern port near the mouth.
Thats amazing, she was docked here in Florida last year, those things get around!

And the Pacific Dawn passed us loaded with new passengers heading down river from the cruise terminal...I had a closer shot on the pad, but it appears not to have saved. This was from my iPhone, which appears now to have a lens defect. I noticed if taking a pic out of the Navionics app, one has to accept or reject the pic, and I might have missed that in the one I took when she was closer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 141
Ok, well it appears my iPad pics are so large I have to upload one at a time. This is the Cheoy Lee which was next to us...what a beauty...
Good pics Pete. Is that GG looking out of the Cheoy Lee saloon?

Sorry, but no Bruce. In fact the only occupant was a single male who appeared to be living aboard, but only there at night. But I tell you what. At the end of the day, that sort of vessel still fits GG's quoted needs better than anything else I have ever seen, including Nordhavns in my opinion. They are like a small ship - but beautiful as well.

Bruce: We spent 3 months on the pile moorings in front of the Botanical Gardens in downtown Brisbane in 2002 and 2003. What a great city. Brings back some wonderful memories.

But I tell you what. At the end of the day, that sort of vessel still fits GG's quoted needs better than anything else I have ever seen,

Didn't know Quentin Bryce was into boats, still she will need something to do when she retires. ;)

Didn't know Quentin Bryce was into boats, still she will need something to do when she retires. ;)
Maybe move in with her son in law Bill Shorten (OZ Parliament Opposition Leader) and daughter and do the housekeeping?:blush:

Now now boys - be nice about our Guv General…at least she looks nicer than the ones in past years...

QB was a great GG and if we get Cosgrove as a follow on we are doing well.
But one day we will be on our own and have a President.
Won't that be grand.
Cheers
Benn

Yeah…go the Republic..and no, I'm not anti the monarchy or the Royal family per se, its just that I think it's time we came of age and elected our own head of state. We are on the other side of the world, after all...

Just managed to get my pictures onto the main computer after time on the boat in Sydney.
Took the two grandies from Perth to meet their Sydney cousins and we had New Year on the harbour.
We arrive at 9am to get a spot, off Taronga Zoo, anchor up and sit back to watch the entertainment as boats of all shapes and sizes arrive. We are in about 11 meters so a bit of chain is required and it is indeed fun to watch as people drift past although you do see many of us with fenders at the ready:) Still a good time was had by all.
The fun part overall though was having the Perth kids on board for 2 weeks and the learning curve they experienced as they coped with limited water and electricity and having to carry all food aboard by bussing and walking to the supermarket. We also have a "no TP down the toilet" policy so the yellow bag sits in the heads and I have to say they coped rather well. Of course swimming off the back of the boat, learning to row, playing on the beach and being out doors made for weary kids and grandparents each day so sleep was no issue:)
Will try and attach some photos.:dance:Dammit they are not here. Have to get off to work so will try tonight.
John

Looking forward to the pics John.
Here`s a thought on swimming off the boat. A mate was doing his license test with Maritime, the instructor says a boat with its crew swimming off the back should display a "Diver" flag. Interesting. That`s what happens when road Police get into maritime work.

080.jpg

068.jpgWell almost. Still getting the hang of this photo thing but at least the thought is there. More photos I hope.

And yes Bruce imagine having to put a divers flag out for this. But they are happy

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom