Old 05-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #1

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: Bluechip 3
Vessel Model: Clipper 45
Bluechip's 2016 Winter Adventure

Day 1 With the boat shipshape, the car safely stored away and light winds forecast we enjoyed a late start to ride the tide through main passage from Marina Mirage to Horseshoe Bay . Trip took about 4 hours to cover the 33 miles and was uneventful other than the crazy qld boaters rushing home at 20 knots thru narrow channels featuring carefully placed crab pot floats. Beautiful evening here in Horseshoe Bay with about 12 boats in the bay all facing in different directions.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Attached Images

Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Melboune
Vessel Name: Lady M
Vessel Model: Horizon 68
Hello Hickers

Hope you have a great trip north.

I think I met you and yours including your "salty" dog at Sandy Straights Marina last January.

I think also I owe you an apology for possibly keeping you awake on Australia Day eve at Moon point, when we "peaked" very early prior to Australia Day. My much better half said that we must apologise to you when we see you back at the marina, but I think you had moved on, so if I did keep you up I am really sorry Maybe you didn't hear a thing if so all good.

We were on the T end at the marina when you were there, I am sure, and then low and behold I noticed your posts on this forum and recognised your boat and name.

It pricked my conscience and felt I should say something.

We are also from Melbourne and travelled north last year to Whitsundays over a few months, we visited many places, Lady Musgrave, Pancake, Yellow Patch, Percy's etc. Had a ball.
andrewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Hickers,
Enjoy the trip north and hopefully We will see you up the track once we get away , some time near the end of May.
Just going by the number of boats and house boats that returned here to GCCM yesterday the bay must have been packed.

NOTE. if going into Mooloolaba be wary of the entrance as it has silted up a bit.
Get around into the bay, pick up the leads and hug the western side . Not so bad if you are using the top half of the tide.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Hate to miss a good party 😕 and always good to see people having fun. Next time 🍾🍾🍷🍷🍷🍷

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Thanks Benn. Was a madhouse yesterday with idiots everywhere. 3.5 hours out from Mooloolaba having a good run on flat seas and mist. No fish though 😢. Look forward to catching up for one of those fast finish wines!!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Hickers
I'm about a mile south of Blakesley's so you would have gone past me on the way to Horseshoe. I'm heading up there tonight as the winds are shifting to W and NW. Although staying very gentle. I did see a bunch of Riv's and other stuff rushing south, and from past experiences know that most of them don't bother slowing down in the narrow areas.

Benn
The Bay has had every man and his dog out for the long weekend. Basically no wind so you could anchor anywhere really. I left the Sandhills on Sat morning and boats were arriving constantly. As I went past Horseshoe Bay there were about 60 boats in there. Seems that many folks don't use Predict Wind and just go with the herd.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 AM   #7

Day 2 left early to ride the tide north to Mooloolaba in a heavy mist and no wind. The mist cleared as we passed Tangalooma and it turned into a beautiful sunny day. We covered 57 nm in 6 hrs 38 minutes at an average of 8.6 knots for about 110 litres of diesel. Moored at our friends waterfront home enjoying a cold beer and plan to depart for Fraser Island on Thursday.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 AM   #8

Brian, and I thought that was a cruise liner on the beach! , what a lovely still night it was and great weather for the run to Mooloolaba.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Guru

I see a few boats from the Bay crossed the bar yesterday (Wed) Northern Trek,Silhouette, Dralomaris and Solitaire. All up at Gary's Anchorage Wed night.
Conditions are looking pretty good.
Safe travels.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:48 AM   #10

Day 3/4 spent a lovely day with Peter and Belinda yesterday inc sampling some of the kilos of Spanish mackerel caught on Peters recent trip to the Swains.
This morning was beautiful and with us needing to cross the wide bay bar at 4 pm it meant a 9 am departure from Mooloolaba. It was a good passage with plenty of sun and the odd whitecap from the se breeze. Made the bar at 4 and although the mad mile was a bit messy all the precautions with life jackets and closing up the boat weren't needed!! 👍. Anchored in Gary's at 5.30 pm after 8 hours and 46 mins of motoring at an average of 8.3 knots The 73 miles took 169 liters of fuel or 2.31 liters per nm.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462434366.251929.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 AM   #11

City: Perth
Hickers,
Nice to following your progress on a trip north that I did (in parts by ocean and trailer) last year. Also really like that you have been giving figures of hours/n.miles/fuel consumption.
Hope you can continue supplying this data.
It's going to get quite interesting seeing the figures when you get north of Gladstone and start motoring smack into the big tides/swell running south.
Best wishes on your odyssey of discovery - for me it was all new and wonderful - had never been to Qld/FNQ previously and never had a boat bigger than the tinnie.
regards Brett.
p.s. hope the sandflies/midges weren't too bad at Gary's - I had the decks thickly covered in morning.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

Brett, thanks for the feedback, I will do my best to keep the info coming on the basis that I have benefited from others doing the same. So still here tonight but we are inside with the screens closed, Insect coils burning and repellents on, been eaten alive here before.
I'm counting on maintaining consumption under 3 litres per nm! Mind you with diesel being so cheap now not such an issue. Paid $1.12 at Raby Bay in March and will top up at Bundaberg tomorrow at $1.14, figure it may be more expensive further north!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-05-2016, 10:39 PM   #13
Guru

Hickers,
You may be surprised at the fuel costs up north. When traveling by road some of the cheapest diesel is at towns around Mackay and Proserpine. Bloomsberry is normally really cheap so the coast can be pretty good. Hamilton Island is usually cheaper that Airlie Beach.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #14

Day 5 Gary's Anchorage to Bundaberg on a beautiful sunny day, crossed the shallows in the Great Sandy Straits at high tide and a very calm run to Bundaberg in a South Easterly that struggled to make 10 knots all day. Filled the tanks when we arrived which took 1050 litres. Our last fill was at Raby Bay in March so pretty happy with that. Taking a lay day today and will head for Pancake Creek tomorrow am. Covered 70 miles at 8.2 knots average using 169 litres of diesel at 2.41 lpnm. Fuel rate increased due to running against the tide through the Straits.

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462569811.506737.jpg  
Old 05-06-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
Guru

Ye Ha , looking good.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #16

Indeed Benn, at this rate will be less than 1300 litres to the Whitsundays! Not much wind either, saving it for your trip perhaps!!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-08-2016, 02:38 AM   #17

Day 6/7 caught up with friends Friday night which turned into far too much red wine and rum so Saturday was a day of much needed rest! Left Bundaberg at 7.15 am this morning full of fuel and water. The 63.6 miles to Pancake Creek took 8 hrs 16 mins and used 145.5 Liters at 2.28 lpnm. Averaged 7.7 knots with no tide assist and slowing down to match pace with the crew from Silhouette who had offered to lead us into Pancake given we would be arriving at low tide! What a stunning place and miles from anywhere. We plan to stay here for a few days at least. Happy Mothers Day! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462693001.872791.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	51682Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462693018.358929.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	51683Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462693036.836666.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	51684

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #18
Guru

Good to see you have caught up with some of the Moreton bay crew.
Arrived Athens today after a good Etihad flight.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:47 AM   #19

Day 8/10 were spent relaxing in Pancake Creek, beautiful spot, nice walk to the lighthouse and caught up with the Moreton Bay cruisers for a drink or two at their beachside camp! Great fun.
Day 11 off to Great Kepple Island, a long haul so anchor was up at 6.30 am and we headed out into a brisk southerly breeze. Turned out to be a lovely trip with the wind dropping as we passed Cape Capricorn and we finally entered the tropics!! The water here on the northern side of the island is beautiful and we will stay a few days to appreciate it. Total trip today 71.3 miles over 8 hours and 41 minutes at an average of 8.2 knots using 162 litres of diesel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463039221.198797.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	51873Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463039239.079044.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	51874

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address
Old 05-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #20

Day ??? Currently anchored at Brampton Island off Mackay, our last anchorage prior to entering the Whitsundays. We have covered about 162 miles since leaving Great Keppel stopping at Island Head and Percy. We have kept the average speed at 8.2 knots and fuel consumption around 2.34 litres per nautical mile. Next stop is only 25 miles away at Lindemann Island. From there it's off to the marina at Airlie Beach for a week to restock the boat before heading off for a few weeks cruising around the Islands.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463641450.657745.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  8.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463641408.855254.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  8.8 KB

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address