Bluechip's 2016 Winter Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tecma silence plus is the answer, after 20 years of shitty work I found the answer.

Hi Benn, it sure is but this is the pump that empties the tank, I believe there is some better options than the Jabsco but that would have meant redoing the hoses, I just wanted it over very quickly!!!

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

?

Hickers
Clipper 45
No Fixed Address

IMG_1476360360.580034.jpg
IMG_1476360389.646283.jpg
IMG_1476360407.144599.jpg

Best decision we ever made to throw caution to the winds and move aboard our Clipper 45, what a great adventure we are having.

Any one any experience in berthing at Port of Airlie, we are going to book Bluechip into Airlie Beach over summer. We will spend at least 3 months travelling and the balance in Airlie. Not sure which marina will be the best, either Port of Airlie which is closer to town or Abell Point which is a bit deserted over summer, and more expensive. Opinions anyone?

Sorry, can't help. I by-passed the place, but did spend a couple of nights at Hammo. Personally I think Mackay or even Bundaberg are better places for a boat over the cyclone season although in one of the Airlie marina's should be safe enough. Yeppoon (Keppel Bay marina) is also quite nice.

Just tied up back in my home berth at Dockside Marina, Brisbane River. All up 2034 nm and 263 hours of engine time in 3 months away. I will likely spend 5 or 6 months next year.

Last edited:
Hi Brian. I saw you arrive in mooloolaba on Monday...it was very windy northerly and I thought you must have had a rough trip down from wide bay bar...hope it all went well.
Bo

Hi Bo

Next time you see me we ought to catch up! And next time I'll try and get a marina berth, which would make it easier to do, as the anchorage area is a bit cluttered.

I crossed the Wide Bay Bar about an hour before high tide and the wind then was only 10-15 kn. There was about 2kn adverse current in the 'mad mile' segment, but with wind and tide going in the same direction there were no breaking waves on the bar.

By the time I got around Double Island Point the wind had picked up to 15-20kn, but was directly astern. As I progressed south wind strength continued to build and was fairly steady at 25kn, some gusts to over 30kn, but it remained astern. So conditions were not too bad for the trip, a little bit of surfing and wallowing though. Strong north wind merging with NE swell lead to seas being mostly 1.5-2m, but a little messy. But there were sets of 2.5m or more to contend with. My Naiad stabilisers did a pretty good job with all but the largest waves.

Just north of Noosa some whales gave me a scare. There were so many whitecaps that the whales were very difficult to see unless quite close, unless they were breaching or tail-slapping. One appeared about 100m off my starboard bow without me noticing its presence. I was about to reach for my camera when suddenly a mother and calf surfaced dead ahead only about 60 m away. So quickly reduced speed and turned sharply to port. Likely not even close to hitting them, but it did give me a jolt.

Entry into Mooloolaba was another matter entirely. As you know the eastern side of the breakwater has a shallow area that is currently being dredged. Given that is was only an hour before low tide it was not pretty there. With conditions as they were the entrance, or more correctly just outside the entrance was rough. I took a breaking wave, more correctly the wash after it had broken, of a bit under 1m on the beam just before the rock wall since I was coming straight in, in line with the leads. In retrospect I ought to have been a lot further to the west in my approach to the rock wall entry, and come in at 45°. Still, the boat handled the big roll well enough, I and I did not lose my feet as I was holding onto the helm. It only took me an hour or so to move furniture and stuff back into place after I anchored! Nothing broken.

I did contemplate going on to Deception Bay and anchor in the lee of Bribie Island, but that would have meant quite a few more hours in worsening conditions and some shallow areas towards the end of that leg as well. Plus there was a southerly change forecast and I was wary that it might be stronger the expected, and I would find myself on a lee shore in the wee hours of the morning. So although the trip down was not too bad at all, I don't want to make another entry to Mooloolaba like that. More excitement in one day than this old fart likes.

Last edited:
Brian, dead right. Mooloolaba used to be a great all weather entry but over the last few years it has been getting a bit shallow when the dredging is not kept up.
A mate of mine took some great photos of Gayle and I coming in a few years ago.
Yes, you must come further west into the bay to get a little more water and a better approach with the swell.
Glad you had a great trip, we are heading back to Mackay Sat morning for a few days around the Islands and then I am out to the outer reef for a fishing trip.
Good to see you and Insequent getting a few sea miles up and all working well.

Overall trip went well. Biggest catastrophe was my coffee machine died 10 days ago. Despite a comprehensive spares inventory I could not locate a replacement so I was then stuck with instant coffee! New machine later today.

I enjoyed several visits to the Outer Reef when conditions allowed for a comfortable night anchored out there. But I will need to get more anchor chain before next year. Anchoring depths are usually fairly deep in order to not risk swinging into bommies if the wind shifts.

Hickers, seems that you will have to test the marinas yourself and then update us all!

Overall trip went well. Biggest catastrophe was my coffee machine died 10 days ago. Despite a comprehensive spares inventory I could not locate a replacement so I was then stuck with instant coffee! ....
Very disappointing Brian. I thought you`d be better prepared.

Brian, How much chain do you carry?
I carry 100 mts and is more than enough for reef anchorages. Usually anchor in 10 to 15 mts in the reef but I do 90 % of my reef anchoring inside the lagoons.

Benn
I have 85m of chain, fine for 20m or a little deeper if need be. I would like a minimum of 120m of chain. I often had 25-30m of water in areas I wanted to anchor in. I did not come across all that many nice shallow lagoons, Lady Musgrave Island and Fitzroy Reef the obvious exceptions.

Eg Broadhurst Reef. It has openings at both NW corner and near SE, and a relatively large lagoon. The chart said 15m, with some bommies close to surface that were easy to see. But there were deeper bommies as well, presumably with a minimum of 15 m over the top of them. Then the sand bottom over the rest of the lagoon was 25-30m.

At some other places I needed to get quite close to where the reef uncovers at low tide in order to find 10-15m depth to sandy patches, and often it was tricky to be certain all the nearby shallow bommies were outside of the swing area.

Brian, too much excitement on your trip south for me. It's all good fun afterwards but maybe not at the time.
After reading the marina rules Port of Airlie is off our list, very anti dog where as Abell Point love Jaffa so looks like that will be our cyclone season home. Our car is being serviced at the moment and then will be trucked up to us at Airlie for the drive back to Perth.
Currently in transit from Horseshoe Bay at Magnetic Island to Airlie with an overnight stop at Cape Upstart and a few days planned at the Gloucester Resort. (Pool, bar and on the beach!) Around a 140 miles in total with much of it pushing into the SE swell/waves/wind. It's much nicer heading north!!

Well, glad you have got things sorted. Yes, pushing into the SE trades is not all that nice. I traveled back a little earlier than intended, in part due to making the most of northerlies when they were available. Mostly it worked out well, the exception being the run into Mooloolaba.

You are pretty keen to truck a car up north and then drive to Perth! The novelty of that trip wears off real fast. Better to truck the car to Perth and fly there yourself! I did truck a car across once. Many years ago my wife and I drove Sydney to Perth a number of times. On a couple of occasions we did it non-stop, all 4000km, and that was by far the best way to do it. That was with a bed in the back of a panel van, and swapping drivers with sleeping in the bed every fuel stop. But I guess its not legal to travel that way any more. Boredom is more of a problem than excitement on that trip, but hope you avoid both.

Sounds like you guys have been having a great time in Queensland. I'm am envious. I'd love to cruise up the east coast one day.

It certainly won't be this week considering our marina entrance/exit is still silted up since a storm 3 weeks ago. Every time they get close to clearing a channel, another northwesterly storm rolls in and the dredging crew have to start over. I took a run out with my dinghy and had to tilt up the outboard to get out.

Yes Brian, it's a bloody long drive but this way we have our own car and no hassles trying to fly the dog to Perth.
Auscan, sounds like Port Douglas marina where at low tide we were stuck in the mud!! Cruising the east coast is indeed wonderful especially if you can avoid having to be anywhere at a specific time, means almost every trip has been a pleasure! Don't wait!!

Well we are tucked up nicely in Abell Point Marina and have survived our first, hopefully last, cyclone and are now waiting for the SE winds to drop off so we can enjoy the winter boating delights of the Whitsundays. What a great adventure.

Good that you survived! Did you get through unscathed? How is the recovery work going for the various bits of marine infrastructure?

My own trip north this year is being delayed - I'm going o NZ for some skiing first. I Probably wont go any further than Mackay this season. Next year I'll leave earlier, cruise for longer and go further.

Not totally unscathed, minor gelcoat damage, flybridge windshield ais aerial and our front hatch leading to some water damage. Abell Point back to normal except for one jetty being replaced. I believe Mackay was hit bad and some still waiting for power.

Was there much damage to boats in Mackay, or was it mainly infrastructure? I thought their wind levels were a lot less than at Airlie, but they likely received a lot more rain.

Brian,
Very little boat damage in Mackay but considerable marina damage.
Mainly superficial damage, canvas and gel coat issues.
Marina still undergoing repairs.
Cheers
Benn

Thanks for the info Benn. Glad you came through it OK. I might get up there again later in the year once I've sorted some commitments down here.

Back
Top Bottom