Old 07-19-2015, 12:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
This year and last were the coldest temperatures I have seen in NC. It is very unusual for us to get below 20F but this year we were down to 6F once or twice and 9F a few times. Last year was about the same but I think we only hit 6F once. Once is too much.
Yup...I was nervous as a cat this past winter with my (new to me) boat, Though our delivery trip at the end of Nov. was 60 degrees. I think I'll pull it this year for a few months and piece of mind..

Old 07-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Wow, send some of that up here.. It's hot, 101 on the truck temp gauge today riding back from New Orleans.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
Yup...I was nervous as a cat this past winter with my (new to me) boat, Though our delivery trip at the end of Nov. was 60 degrees. I think I'll pull it this year for a few months and piece of mind..
At 6F our water supply line, which is 2 feet underground and runs into the house from INSIDE the foundation, can freeze a bit, even though the line is about 12 inches inside the exterior walls of the house. We found this out the first 6 degree night we had. Thankfully, there was no damage due to the pipe being plastic and then PEX as well as the water did not freeze solid. <Whew>

I think the reason why the line can freeze is that there is a "freeze less" exterior faucet which can actually freeze. That "freeze less" faucet froze our first winter in the house. It sill is not fixed since we will have to cut drywall to fix the $%^&*(O)$%^&*( thing. Anywho, that long "freeze less" faucet allow cold air to penetrate the wall and causes the supply line to freeze or at least that is my best guess.

Now we run a little space heater that blows on the wall when the temp is going to single digits. You would think we live up Nawth and not in the South.....

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
Hi dannc.

I have seen Pex used on This Old House and not sure if it is available Down Under. It looks like the ideal product to use on boats because of its`simplicity. It looks so easy to to use once you have the tools needed.

Regards.

David.

Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote