Old 07-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #1

City: Sydney
Another Yotti crosses over to the dark side

I’ve just bought a timber (I know..I know) trawler to see me into old(er) age cruising on Australia’s East Coast.
She’s a ‘sharpie’ design, 50’x16’x 6’ built in iron bark and crows ash with a Gardner 6LXB engine.
There’s much work that needs to be done on me as well as the boat, so I’m looking forward to sharing and learning with you on this forum as I continue what I hope will be my last big spend.
Cheers, John

eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Welcome John. Get some pics up asap eh? Sounds an interesting vessel, and an interesting time ahead for you. Benn up in Mooloolaba has a self-built 50' timber boat, and a Gardner diesel. Could have some helpful tips for you if needed. You there Benn...?

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
eagle, I'm reduing a double planked cypress hull with twin detroits. I've got a thread here somewhere, 65' lugger will find it. Good luck and I to would like to see some pictures.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome Peter; I’ll get a couple of images up ASAP.
Swampu, when I said ‘much work’, I meant from my POV. My jobs list pales into insignificance compared to the challenges on your beautiful vessel. I’ve only got some hull work – corroded fastenings and re-splining, and the usual obscure fresh water leaks, as well as some serious galvanic/electrolysis issues to chase down. The Gardner oil analysis has also posed a couple of questions. Then there’s all the stuff that the surveyor and engineer will have missed. I won’t be doing any important work myself - I’ll be the apprentice
Old 07-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Guru

Hi John. Welcome aboard, congratulations on what sounds like an interesting actual (ex)trawler. It might be timber but sounds like the right kind, and the Gardner GLXB will probably outlive us all. I`m looking forward to some pics. We are located in Sydney too. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #6

introducing Flemingo

Here are some stills, more to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flemingo forum 1.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	12126   Click image for larger version

Name:	flemingo forum 4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	12127   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02610 (640x361).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	12128   Click image for larger version

Name:	FlemingoForum 2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	12129  
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Guru

I must say that is one beautiful bottom.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Great looking boat eagle
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Hey John, Very Nice.

Also welcome to this forum... tons of experience here to tap into..

Elwin
Old 07-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #10

Thanks for the welcome everybody.
Flemingo's hull and main engine appear basically sound, so hopefully we can leave many of the fixes for later and won't need too much time in Queensland getting her ready for sea. The coastal hop to her home berth in Sydney is about 400nm, which will give me some time to look and learn and sort out a few things before we begin the major work.
It's going to be an interesting experience absorbing a whole new approach after seventeen years of sailing with the previous boat.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Guru

Handsome boat, above and below the water! Where will you keep her in Sydney?
Have a safe trip down. BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Guru

I like the flip up swim platform. I would like to do something like that on my boat one day. Good luck with the trip.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
John,
Welcome aboard.
Flemingo is one very nice Fred Fleming boat and very well equiped.
Saw her listed with Garth Fielding, so she is going to Sydney to live, hope you come north now and again.

My own boat is designed by Fred but built by Bert Ellis and myself in Norman Creek Brisbane in 1995.

Suprised if there are many issues with Flemingo as she was one well looked after vessel.
If you require any Gardner info or advice in Brisbane you can not go past Gary Bryant, he is the Gardner Guru in SE Qld., if not Australia.
Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Great to have another older unique boat on the forum. It looks like somebody invested a lot of time and effort into her. It s even better that somebody like you bought her and willing to invest time and funds to improve and maintain her. Not a full time job but certainly a part time job.

It will be interesting to hear how she handles/sails as I have looked at adding sails to the Eagle. (Long range plan) I noticed she has both fish and pneumatic stabilizers, to counter the sails? I understand trawler with sails are some what common in your area. In the PNW there are a couple but the sails are very seldom used.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Great to have another older unique boat on the forum. It looks like somebody invested a lot of time and effort into her. It s even better that somebody like you bought her and willing to invest time and funds to improve and maintain her. Not a full time job but certainly a part time job.

It will be interesting to hear how she handles/sails as I have looked at adding sails to the Eagle. (Long range plan) I noticed she has both fish and pneumatic stabilizers, to counter the sails? I understand trawler with sails are some what common in your area. In the PNW there are a couple but the sails are very seldom used.
Hello Phil, the sails are for steadying and emergency get-home to a refuge lying down wind - she'll sail like a brick.
The booms are for flopper stoppers - stability at anchor.
I've always enjoyed one-off boats and can only afford 'old'. I also tend to buy and hold for some time - only five over 40 years of playing with boats. I've owned my (soon to be) previous huon pine masthead sloop for seventeen years, so I hope I'm not under too many illusions about the time and cost equation of 'classic' timber.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
John,
Welcome aboard.
Flemingo is one very nice Fred Fleming boat and very well equiped.
Saw her listed with Garth Fielding, so she is going to Sydney to live, hope you come north now and again.

My own boat is designed by Fred but built by Bert Ellis and myself in Norman Creek Brisbane in 1995.

Suprised if there are many issues with Flemingo as she was one well looked after vessel.
If you require any Gardner info or advice in Brisbane you can not go past Gary Bryant, he is the Gardner Guru in SE Qld., if not Australia.
Cheers
Benn
Hello Benn, thanks for the welcome. She is indeed very well equipped, but has been resting for four years, so there are a few areas that need to be worked on. Electrolysis is an issue, together with the usual timber maintenance stuff. I’ve been living with stripped planked huon pine, so I don’t really how much seam weeping I should tolerate with splined iron bark and crows ash etc etc.
It’s good to be out of my comfort zone again.
I'm also getting lots of opinions about the 6lxb, so some actual expertise from Gary will certainly help. The oil analysis shows high lead, copper, chrome & sodium and again, I’m enjoying a rich variety of opinion, from bearings, to coolant leaks to the classic ‘it's fine don’t touch it until you have to’ but I think we need a series of samples before a useful conclusion can be reached. There are two hydraulic pumps and three alternators hanging off and she won’t get to full revs. Two strong opinions on prop pitch as well.
Speaking of four years, both the engine and hull surveyors have strongly recommended dumping the 2000 litres of old fuel in favour of fresh before heading to south. The filter bowls are clear and actual tank condition is unknown. What do you reckon?
Old 07-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Handsome boat, above and below the water! Where will you keep her in Sydney?
Have a safe trip down. BruceK
Thanks BruceK, at the moment it looks like the harbour side of the Spit, the rig won't get under the bridge.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Wow! Motorboat with a ketch rig? I don't sonsider it a motorsailer unless it can reasonably sail without engines in most circumstances. My sloop-rigged. motor-boat Coot has sails which only assist. Your hull appears "motorboat" like mine.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

She still won't sail, even with a ketch rig, Mark. The sails are, like yours, for steadying, saving a litre or two downwind and for get-home.
I see we both have an eye for a full and shapely bottom
Old 07-27-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
As a former sailor, I still like the pleasure of pulling "strings" when wanted.

With 10 knots of wind, I have steerage-way within a 200-degree radius. If I wasn't usually going directly into or opposite the winds here, I'd use the sails more often. Their use is primarily for steadying, but can easily add a half knot or more to the boat's speed in many conditions: a significant advantage in a long-range cruise.

Tags
more timber