Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 214
I like the look of your sail tug!
__________________
Advertisement

eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #22
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle419 View Post
I like the look of your sail tug!
Thanks! But your boat looks more sleek/graceful.
__________________

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #23
Guru
 
Tidahapah's Avatar
 
City: Mooloolaba
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,779
Joihn,
Have to agree , re engine , would not do much until after a couple of oil analysis have been done. Should not imagine the Gardner has that many hours on her and most likely Gary has had something to do with it over time.
If you want Gary's phone number PM me. I am in Mooloolaba but come down to Bris Vagas every week so would love to call in if you are still around.
With the sail rig if set up correctly they can sail reasonably well as long as you have a fair bit of breeze.
A mate of mine owns Waverley (also in the Morteon Bay Cruiser Book) she sails pretty well but is carvel planked as opposed to our sharpies. Just makes it a little more slippery but harder to keep upright, he runs with an active set of paravanes.
Re the electrolysis , originally I had about 8 zincs on Tidahapah but after about 8 years I had an electyrician check the currents around the boat with the resultant removal of 1/2 my zincs. Underwater she is much better for it.
How is the splineing with the Iron Bark holding up as usually it is difficult to keep the splines intact with hard wood hulls. Mine is Spotted Gum and traditionally puttied and filled except for the 2 water line seams that are sika flexed.

Cheers
Benn
Cheers
Benn
__________________
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them"
Money: It's made round to go round , not flat to stack.
"Get out and do it"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Thanks! But your boat looks more sleek/graceful.
just more proof that an owner doesn't necessarily always look like his boat.
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Joihn,
Have to agree , re engine , would not do much until after a couple of oil analysis have been done. Should not imagine the Gardner has that many hours on her and most likely Gary has had something to do with it over time.
If you want Gary's phone number PM me. I am in Mooloolaba but come down to Bris Vagas every week so would love to call in if you are still around.
With the sail rig if set up correctly they can sail reasonably well as long as you have a fair bit of breeze.
A mate of mine owns Waverley (also in the Morteon Bay Cruiser Book) she sails pretty well but is carvel planked as opposed to our sharpies. Just makes it a little more slippery but harder to keep upright, he runs with an active set of paravanes.
Re the electrolysis , originally I had about 8 zincs on Tidahapah but after about 8 years I had an electyrician check the currents around the boat with the resultant removal of 1/2 my zincs. Underwater she is much better for it.
How is the splineing with the Iron Bark holding up as usually it is difficult to keep the splines intact with hard wood hulls. Mine is Spotted Gum and traditionally puttied and filled except for the 2 water line seams that are sika flexed.

Cheers
Benn
Cheers
Benn
The splines do need work Benn, that lovely Qld sun works its magic - and yes, she could be over zinced. I'll do the checks in Sydney when she's settled in her home berth.
I plan to lift the boat for a couple of days in the week beginning 6th, so hopefully we can catch up. I'll keep you posted.
cheers, John
P.S. yep, Waverley is a thing of beauty. When I asked it wasn't for sale.....
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
Guru
 
Tidahapah's Avatar
 
City: Mooloolaba
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,779
Darren was thinking of selling but I think the Pacific cruising plans have taken over. I have know all the owners of Waverly since she was built.
Very nice boat and one of Bert's own designs.(Bert Ellis)
I am hauling Tidahapah out hopefully at the end of the week or early next week . same time frame as yourself. I am comming out at Lawries in Mooloolaba as we have a set of double slings that make me feel a lot better when hauling a timber boat.
Cheers
Benn
__________________
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them"
Money: It's made round to go round , not flat to stack.
"Get out and do it"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #27
Veteran Member
 
Rebel's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polarus 35
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 87
Welcome John. Beautiful looking "woodie". Great to see another boat on Sydney harbour.
I am on the Cammeray side of the Spit Bridge, moored near the Cammeray marina. I will be back on the boat for about 8 days late August early September so if you are in Sydney then maybe we can catch up.

John
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Welcome John. Beautiful looking "woodie". Great to see another boat on Sydney harbour.
I am on the Cammeray side of the Spit Bridge, moored near the Cammeray marina. I will be back on the boat for about 8 days late August early September so if you are in Sydney then maybe we can catch up.

John
Thanks for the welcome John, I've got major hassles with corroded tanks, so I'm looking at the options, all of which are unpleasant. Stiil going to try for late August in Sydney though, and it would be good to catch up. cheers, John
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
eagle419's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Mooloolaba as we have a set of double slings that make me feel a lot better when hauling a timber boat.
Cheers
Benn
Well Benn,
We're back in the water after an efficient and gentle haulout at Gold Coast City Marina on their 150 tonner with six slings. The bad news is very corroded tanks.
Watch this space #$$$%$&!
cheers, John
eagle419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
Guru
 
Tidahapah's Avatar
 
City: Mooloolaba
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,779
John,
Had to cancell my own haulout as got a call back to work in Port Headland.
Will now haul out approx 10 th Sept.
Corroded tanks, I assume that they are steel tanks similar to my own.
There will be various ways of doing repairs.
Is the corrision on the top of the tanks??

PM sent.
Cheers
Benn
__________________
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them"
Money: It's made round to go round , not flat to stack.
"Get out and do it"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member
 
Rebel's Avatar
 
City: Sydney
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: Polarus 35
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 87
I will PM you with my mobile no.
Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
Guru
 
City: Port Vila
Country: Vanuatu
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
John,
Welcome aboard.
Flemingo is one very nice Fred Fleming boat and very well equiped.
Saw her listed with Garth Fielding, so she is going to Sydney to live, hope you come north now and again.
Is there somewhere to buy Fleming plans? The admiral & I have decided to bite the bullet and build new. Oh well, cruising again in 5 years not 2.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #33
Guru
 
Tidahapah's Avatar
 
City: Mooloolaba
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,779
Night cap,
Where are you base.
Fred Fleming died a some years ago. There are sets of plans around but not commercially available.
Would you be going to build a plank boat (timber is very expensive these days) and good plank boat builders like hens teeth to find.

I suppose the lines could be addapted for a glass or strip plank build with added ballast.
Freds plans were pretty basic but enough for a competent boat builder.
When Bert built my boat he had the plans out whilst we built the frames after that he said put them away as they won't be required again.

PM me if you require more info
Cheers
Benn
__________________
"When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them"
Money: It's made round to go round , not flat to stack.
"Get out and do it"
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #34
Guru
 
City: Port Vila
Country: Vanuatu
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 628
Must update my profile. I'm in Vanuatu so wood is plentiful and inexpensive with many good hardwoods, can also import ply from Fiji with no duty. Going to build it myself with the odd bit of help from a shipwright here (I'm not a boat builder but am a marine engineer so I know what a can of worms I've opened for myself)
I'm looking for a hard chine displacement boat 50-60 foot, Sharpie.
I'll PM you so it doesn't turn into threadjack.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #35
Member
 
City: Darwin
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Marengo
Vessel Model: Timber 12.79 meters
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle419 View Post
Here are some stills, more to follow
Nice Hopefully in 3mths mine will look a little different than it does now
__________________

wanderingdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
more timber

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012