Advice. New to trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PigDog

Hi forum,
Long time reader first time poster.

I'm keen to get into this world of trawlers. I've got a trailer sailor background, so it seems like a strange and foreign world to me. So keen, but a bit nervous because of the unknown (they are big and have engines to move!!).

I was thinking of something like:
Used 1948 TRAWLER FISHING Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I know it's only really a weekender, but the low cost of entry is appealing to my CFO. I also know, having been involved in smaller boats, that they are a sinkhole for money - but I am keen to get a sense of scale. How big is the sinkhole?!?

What would a person be looking at to maintain a boat like this? How often does it need to come out of the water, what's a guess at what that costs?? Would an engine rebuild be 2 grand or 10?

I know that this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but any advice would be welcome (or ideas of where to get advice!).

Welcome to the forum.

Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool :) That's a lot of boat compared to a trailer sailor.

The short answer to your question of course is anywhere from nearly nothing (not at all recommended) to empty your retirement fund. Haul outs on wooden boats on average is annually. Benn from down your way has a timber cruiser of similar size and can give you a better idea than I could.

One bit of advice though, there ain't no such thing as a cheap boat. My slip neighbor has poured about $75,000 into a wooden boat that he has for sale for a little over $20,000. Lesson there is the way to make a small fortune in boats is to start with a big one.

In general if you pay more up front for a well found boat you'll have less deferred maintenance to play catch up on. Getting out in front of upkeep is the best plan because issues seldom get less expensive to fix if they are put off.

Having said all that though every situation is different. Some folks buy a boat for a long term project while others hire all work out and just "use" the boat. Most folks fall somewhere between those two extremes. Best to be honest with yourself about your intended use of a boat early on and go from there.

Probably a good buy if;
a/ you are a marine mechanic
b/ your brother in law(insert suitable relative) is a competent Ship Wright
c/ a relative owns a commercial slipway
d/ dad has a spare mooring off his yacht club
e/ they all think the world of you.

Very good friends of mine bought an old steel 50' yacht in that same bay years ago. Seven years later we were sitting in the beer garden in 'Oaks' at Neutral Bay one Friday afternoon. She said to my mate "give me a Dollar,looking a bit confused he forks out the dollar and hands it to her. She said "congratulation you have just bough my half share, if you ever mention that bloody boat again I will divorce you".

We didn't think she really meant it, but you get my drift. By the way the boat never moved out of the bay in those seven years.

Mate,
Welcome on board.
Wow a lot of boat for very little money.
Could be a super deal but could be a headache.
It would take a good survey from a competent timber boat surveyor to give you the details.
May prove to be a winner , you'll never , never, know unless you get some good info on it.
Depends on the brand of engine and its condition. may even be cheaper to put in a good second hand diesel.
Most trawlers(fishing) had big engines so a smaller diesel may not be out of place.
Anyhow have a good look at it and look at all the other stuff that is available.

Cheers
Benn

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom