Is Your GPS Ready for the April 6th Week Rollover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the tech update Raymarine sent me listing what units are affected & when.

Attachments

• TU711-GPS-Week_Rollover (1).pdf
    397.9 KB · Views: 85
Well,
I tested my Raymarine RN300 (2002 model year) GPS this AM. The time and position were correct.
According to the Raymarine Technical bulletin that boomerang attached, my GPS should have experienced problems starting in 2017? I never noticed, but do not use that GPS for tide or current info. Position information, COG, and SOG all seemed fine. According to Raymarine, any problems my unit experiences can be solved by replacing the GPS antenna. I hope none of you experience anything worse.
Regards,
Tom

My Furuno GP 30 says it is 22 Aug 1999, always. I guess that was the previous roll-over day. But it does show the correct time for my time zone, and it gives the correct lat/long. The date cannot be altered apparently. It is not an issue.

I can’t get to the boat, but my reading of all this is that my e80MFD is fine. Now, if that No Data message for radar would go away, we will have all systems functional. I am told that may be a GPS antenna issue.

Gee, I was hoping for more like 44!

Are we at risk of a global disaster like for year 2000? :)

L

My Garmin GPS 17.? had the date problem last year. I ended up replacing it with Garmin GPS 19.?

It was an issue because currents were showing up incorrectly on the chartplotter

Are the GPS in vehicles on land affected?

--Peggie

Peggie, I dont know. The GPS in the car up here in Atlanta is broken. Apparently the iPhone is not affected. Maybe next year I will replace my sat radio in the car. Then I will have a working GPS again.
I wont know about the GPSs on the boat until I return, the end of April. I dont worry about the tide in Atlanta

So turned on my C97 and eS 127. 127 is Master unit. Everything appears to be OK.

How would I check?

I also could not open the PDF document Boomerang posted. Couldn't find it on Raymarine's website.

If your chart plotter has tides or currents, open one up and see if it is correct as to date...

So far, my Simrad and iPads work fine, but rather late stuff. Need to check the old Garmins.....

YEE HAW!

It would appear I have dodged this bullet! Tried several Tides and Currents markers and they all have the correct time and date.......

Our circa 2002 Furuno GP-36 DGPS Navigator -- on their hit list -- seems to work fine. At least it knows today's date and time, seems to know where it is...

Maybe the hit list identifies model number but more recent production years aren't the ones that are affected.

-Chris

SIMRAD NSS12, pre-evo ... not working SIMRAD says 'in the works' for their legacy systems. I figured this would happen. When the time issue came out and was fixed back in NOV I specifically asked if we'd be going through this again with roll over and was told, no worries, the NOV update had that covered too ... wrong. So here I am on a trip using back up NAV programs.

I guess it's update time.

My Furuno Navigator GP31 is showing date as "AUG 99"
Called the tech for discussion.
Said the date would stay wrong but the position would be right.
It would need to download a new almanac when powered up,
therefore a little longer to start. OK

My Garmin 2010 plotter is not even acquiring the satellite system.

I guess it's time to look for a Coastal Explorer system.

Ted

SIMRAD notification email arrived at 1054Z announcing they have posted V3 Rev 4 .... installed this morning. Works on my pre-evo NSS12.

Follow the usual path to the update, dated 9 April
SIMRAD home page (www.simrad-yachting.com) > Help & Support > Manual & Software Updates > Select NSS from the drop down > Update is at the bottom.

My GARMIN set up includes 4010 and 4012 Chartplotters, GPS17x-nmea2000, Reactor Autopilot, 2X GHC20 autopilot controls and a GMI20.
The date and tides were both wrong.
I installed the April 3rd GARMIN update today (took over an hour to complete) and everything seems to be reset and ready to go with today's date!

The GARMIN link to Legacy products is :
https://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00592-00

I have several very old Garmin GPS units that all seem to be operating properly. GPS 128, GPSMap 176 (black and white on dink) and GPSMap 276C all normal functions with correct date without any software updating.

I have several very old Garmin GPS units that all seem to be operating properly. GPS 128, GPSMap 176 (black and white on dink) and GPSMap 276C all normal functions with correct date without any software updating.

Thanks for posting that. We have an old 128 at the lower helm. The boat is currently in a winter storage building on the Great Lakes and I'm 1200 miles away. I like to splash it and head out on a fairly long trip to our summer slip the next day. So, I've been concerned about no Nav in the cabin. Air temps in the 40's make the open flybridge uncomfortable. Concerned enough that I just purchased a GPS antenna for the laptop and loaded up OPENCPN 5.0. I've been wanting an independent chart plotter capability in the cabin anyway, but it's reassuring to know that the old 128 will work. Again, thanks.

Now I wonder about the 2006 vintage NAVMAN unit on the flybridge....

Last edited:
I've got a rather ancient Standard Horizon CP150 with firmware dated 2001. It seems to be working just fine after the rollover. The correct date and time are showing anyway. Maybe after the 1999 fiasco, they set up the firmware for future rollovers?

Finally had the chance to fire up my 2006 (?) Garmin 3210 chartplotter and the date is off by a few years. Everything else is fine. I couldn't find a fix on the Garmin site. Any suggestions short of spending 5 grand on new equipment?

Finally had the chance to fire up my 2006 (?) Garmin 3210 chartplotter and the date is off by a few years. Everything else is fine. I couldn't find a fix on the Garmin site. Any suggestions short of spending 5 grand on new equipment?

I would think you just need to buy a new GPS sensor. You have the remote GPS17 currently?

That is a good question; one for Garmin.
I was supposing that the issue is the inability of the receiver to get the proper ephemerous data, which is date/time based. And, the receiver is not in the chartplotter.

Garmin 2010C would not find the antenna, system pulled, waiting for dump run.

Ted

Had the GPS, tide/date, issue this spring after launch for the season with our Garmin 17x GPS antenna, GPSMap 4208 and 4210. 1999 dates showing.

Installed latest legacy software.

Didn't solve the problem and actually made it worse as the GPS 17x then would not show as a Garmin device, chart showed an incorrect position (with a "?" mark) and no satellites were shown. Also, the 17x software reverted to an earlier software version.

My failing memory seemed to recall (a day later) that during the software update a msg flashed by about 17x software failing to load.

Reloaded the update, and it updated the 17x software successfully this time, and now all is well in chart plotter land (waterland?).

Dates, tides and position (+/- 9.8 ft) right on .

Back
Top Bottom