Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Garmin's US region has the entire US including the US Great Lakes and major inland rivers from the ACoE charts. It also includes the Bahamas which are Explorer charts data and are fantastic.

You might consider instead getting the North America region if you want to also have Canada. It also adds the rest of the Caribbean and Mexico. Get the US region or North America - it's a waste to get both. Purchasing the Garmin charts allow it to be used on your iPhone and your wife's iPhone/iPad for no extra cost.
Thank you, I loaded the app & the chart description in the app shows in detail the coverage area.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Guru
 
David Carter's Avatar
 
City: Tellico lake, Tn
Country: US
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
On an iPad, tap the Head Up button at the top. On an iPhone, tap the little tab thing on the lower left side. That exposes a tray of options. One is Head Up. When there is a chart update, you'll get a balloon display for the next few times you launch the app. Chart updates have been coming out every 6 months.
when you tap heads up it works but when you move the screen up or down to view further ahead it reverts back. This can be very confusing or disorienting when navigating threw a critical area. It really needs to be fixed so that it doesn't revert back until you tap on the heads up button again.
__________________

__________________
Don't let anyone steal your happy
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #23
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
when you tap heads up it works but when you move the screen up or down to view further ahead it reverts back. This can be very confusing or disorienting when navigating threw a critical area. It really needs to be fixed so that it doesn't revert back until you tap on the heads up button again.
When you manually pan the chart, it flips into north up mode. I think that's a mistake and I've voiced my complaint about it. My own Companion doesn't do that and their own chartplotters don't do it. I hope it's just an early "feature" that they'll fix.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #24
Guru
 
David Carter's Avatar
 
City: Tellico lake, Tn
Country: US
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 557
Is there a way to get routes from the iPad to my 740?
__________________
Don't let anyone steal your happy
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 PM   #25
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Is there a way to get routes from the iPad to my 740?
I don't think the 740 has a Garmin Marine Network connection and that's the only way I know to get data from the iPad BlueChart Mobile. There is a Bluetooth capability too but I don't know enough about how or what that does. It might make sense to ask Garmin.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #26
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Is there a way to get routes from the iPad to my 740?
I think you'll find creating routes in Garmins PC homeport software much easier and then transferring them to your plotter. Homeport software also has active cap data displayed as a layer, unfortunately active captain data does not transfer to your garmin 740.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #27
Guru
 
David Carter's Avatar
 
City: Tellico lake, Tn
Country: US
Vessel Name: Carter's Cove II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I think you'll find creating routes in Garmins PC homeport software much easier and then transferring them to your plotter. Homeport software also has active cap data displayed as a layer, unfortunately active captain data does not transfer to your garmin 740.
That stinks. Being compatible with active captain is what made me go with Garmin. I have it on my iPhone but can't get it on my 740. So is home port free for the PC? Can we set up a route an transfer it to the 740?
__________________
Don't let anyone steal your happy
David Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #28
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
So is home port free for the PC? Can we set up a route an transfer it to the 740?
HomePort costs something like $29 (Windows or Mac version). It includes ActiveCaptain support itself. HomePort will allow you to create routes on the PC and transfer them to the 740.

HomePort is also a good way to convert routes from other products and get them on a Garmin chartplotter. HomePort has a pretty good GPX import capability - I often use that and it works well with routes stored on the ActiveCaptain website. I also interface it with PolarView, Coastal Explorer, and MaxSea/Nobeltec - all work well.

If you have a Garmin chartplotter, HomePort is the way it connects to the rest of the digital world today. I think they made it inexpensive so any customer wouldn't find it a very big barrier to purchase it.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post

HomePort is also a good way to convert routes from other products and get them on a Garmin chartplotter. HomePort has a pretty good GPX import capability - I often use that and it works well with routes stored on the ActiveCaptain website.
AC, I've heard that routes stored on the active captain website and imported to a Garmin plotter will include AC data along the route uploaded. Is this so?
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #30
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
AC, I've heard that routes stored on the active captain website and imported to a Garmin plotter will include AC data along the route uploaded. Is this so?
It doesn't do that today. Our license doesn't allow a subset of markers to be transferred so there's no legitimate way for anyone to provide that capability.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
That stinks. Being compatible with active captain is what made me go with Garmin. I have it on my iPhone but can't get it on my 740. So is home port free for the PC? Can we set up a route an transfer it to the 740?
David, you can import routes to your Garmin 740 using any program that creates routes in the GPX format, including routes created on the ActiveCapt website. Many nav programs will convert to GPX. You save the routes to a SD card, place the SD card into your 740 and upload it. IMHO the Garmin homeport PC nav program is worth the money. It has the best route editing features of any nav program I've used.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #32
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
It doesn't do that today. Our license doesn't allow a subset of markers to be transferred so there's no legitimate way for anyone to provide that capability.
Looking forward to the day my plotter has AC data and companion warnings all uploaded to it. I don't have the room or desire to place a cell phone, computer and tablet at the helm.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #33
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Looking forward to the day my plotter has AC data and companion warnings all uploaded to it. I don't have the room or desire to place a cell phone, computer and tablet at the helm.
I just loaded the garmin charts a few days ago & have went thru areas and marinas on the river that I'am familiar with. The AC marina reviews & recommended anchorages are well worth the cost of the charts. I can get along without the AC data on my plotter, I see the value in trip planning & being able to find that place to anchor at the end of the day. One reason I added it to my iPad is for a delivery in April from my home marina on the Mississippi to Lake Erie. The boat has a humminbird 1198c plotter on the bridge & nothing at the lower helm. It may be a little cool the 1st week of April to run from the open bridge so my iPad will be at the lower helm.
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #34
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
Has anyone heard whether Garmin plans to publish an app for Android? We've been thinking of a tablet for the boat now that we have set up a wifi network, but the Android chart applications seem to be more limited, and thus far except for my work phone, we are all Android (and I'm not a fan of my iphone).
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
Guru
 
Heron's Avatar
 
City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,077
Have you tried the Navionics App?
Just downloaded yesterday (android) ....$10 for the full featured version..
Find it in the Playstore
__________________
Steve
Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #36
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
I have both Navionics and Plan 2 Nav on my android tablet. I use Plan 2 Nav exclusively because it displays AC data seamlessly.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Richard W's Avatar
 
City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Country: The 3rd Rock from the Sun
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carter View Post
Is there a way to get routes from the iPad to my 740?
You can share/email the route from Navionics iPad. That will give you two things ... the link to view the route on Navionics site, nice but not very usefull, and the link to Google Earth .kml file. Not sure if/how you can transform and/or transfer the .kml file to Garmin chartplotter but could be an option.
__________________
Best ... Richard
Richard W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #38
Guru
 
Carolena's Avatar
 
City: DC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I have both Navionics and Plan 2 Nav on my android tablet. I use Plan 2 Nav exclusively because it displays AC data seamlessly.
That is something I really want to do - be able to access AC data on a tablet. We have a great chartplotter, but can't download AC onto it. With Plan 2 Nav are you able to download the AC data for viewing offline?
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:32 PM   #39
Guru


 
City: Full-time onboard
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Trawler
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
That is something I really want to do - be able to access AC data on a tablet. We have a great chartplotter, but can't download AC onto it. With Plan 2 Nav are you able to download the AC data for viewing offline?
There are loads of apps that have ActiveCaptain offline and integrated within the app - iOS, Android, Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. The full list can be found here:
https://activecaptain.com/navProducts.php

There's also the free ActiveCaptain Companion for both platforms. It's not a chartplotter and if you want nautical charts, you'll be unhappy. But it keeps all of ActiveCaptain offline. And it's free.


If you haven't purchased a tablet and want one today, there are way more choices for all types of boating-specific apps for iOS and the iPad. It's not about loving or hating any platform - I love them all. I have multiple iPads and multiple Android tablets and use them all. I also have 3 boating apps in both the iTunes app store and the Google Play store. If you have to have Android, it'll be fine. But if you have a choice today, go iPad/iOS.
__________________

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012