Old 08-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: Your choice of new electronic suites

Quote:
Conrad wrote:2bucks wrote:
I've been very happy with the Furuno 1834-C. It has radar, chartplotter on the screen. You can add a depth sounder/transducer to get that info on the screen. You can add an engine room camera to get that data, you can interface your autopilot. You can add Sirius weather, and AIS receiver. Or you can have the stand alone units you have and add them to the 1834 when the others go bad or as money is available.

I have only the charts and radar on mine currently. Other depth works fine and I'm not sold on AIS yet. This model is getting long in the tooth, but there are lots of them out there so support should be good for some time to come. And, the best part is you might be able to do most of it for the 5 boat units.

Ken
*We are in the process of replacing all of the old, non-working electronics on Dorian I, plus adding some stuff that wasn't on board before. Our thinking is that we will be keeping the boat for a minimum of 10 years so let's equip it once with reliable electronics so that we shouldn't have to address any of it again during ownership.

With that in mind we went with the Furuno 1834C & extras. The extras include a 7" display for the lower helm, depthsounder module, autopilot (two control displays) and a weather station.

I agree that this product suite is getting a bit long in the tooth but on the other hand it has been well proven and subtly improved upon since its introduction early in the last decade.

We also went with an icom 504 VHF c/w Command Mike III.

We too are not sold on AIS but I think that is a function of how much commercial traffic you have to deal with.

Our decision to go with these products was ultimately based on their reputation *for being bulletproof. It's hard to find any negative comments about Furuno. You can pay now or pay later.*

Because these products are networked, there is the risk of losing everything, although the chances are low. As long as you have some kind of redundancy you should be fine. In our case we have a stand alone depth sounder, paper charts, our old VHF, and three compasses, one hand bearing.*

Um, we were not under $5K.

*An update. This has been a very problematic install in that every major component shipped by Furuno was faulty.*
<ul>[*]The 10.4" (1834c NT) unit was not sunlight viewable and required - after many denials from Furuno - a software upgrade, which was an improvement but still not great.[*]The autopilot display (511) developed a blemish after being out in the sun for a few hours; a faceplate replacement didn't help so a complete display unit replacement is on its way.[*]The WS 200 unit failed intermittently and has now been replaced.*[*]While out cruising we have been plagued by charts dropping off, the radar ceasing to function, and the depth sounder going blank - once at a most inopportune time.The suspected culprit is the 7" display which has the chart chip and radome connected so it is acting as a server for itself and the upper 10.4" display. It will be replaced once they can find a new unit.[*]The depth number on the scrolling graphic display shows intermittently. This apparently was fixed a couple of versions ago but crept back in in subsequent versions apparently.[*]Along the way the hub & original C-Map chart card were replaced to see if they would fix the chart issues, which they did not.[/list]Throughout all of this my dealer has been great but his dealings with Furuno have not been the best. And he is the one who has to absorb all of the costs of his techs spending huge amounts of time troubleshooting the problems, which all came back to faulty equipment, not faulty installation. Furuno has been quite snarky in fact to the tech folks here.

I turned the boat over to the dealer on May 16 for the installation; it is now August 30 and we're not done yet.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

Thanks again Conrad for taking the time to post this update. Sure sorry to hear of all the problems you are having but luckily, you have a great dealer to support you. I have pretty much the same electronics you have and have not had any problems (knock on wood) except for the WS 100 which does not display true wind.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ron

windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #23
Guru

I just added a chartplotter because my Raymarine some what dated unit had a very slow refresh rate. I got a Garmin 740 series which is there cheapest touch screen unit. I can't say enough about touch screen and would highly recommend it.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Conrad....can't thank you enough for your update and telling it like it is. I sure hope your Furuno experience doesn't turn out to be the Rocna of systems.

Timjet....you know, I was looking at that 740 for a buy right now, and wait another year or so to update the rest. The 740 is something I'd like as a back-up system to my new suite, and the touch screen is a real bonus (Admiral loves to play with it). Since I see full time cruising another 2 years away, and I don't like anything else I have for a backup, it may be just the ticket.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #25
Guru

Your choice of new electronic suites

BTW, here's a shot of my old antiquated electronics. *My plan will be to build a new console for the electronics suite, and most likely build in some electronics boxes overhead when I re-do the hardtop.

-- Edited by healhustler on Saturday 10th of September 2011 06:20:31 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	helm shot.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	7456  
Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
Conrad....can't thank you enough for your update and telling it like it is. I sure hope your Furuno experience doesn't turn out to be the Rocna of systems.

*You're very welcome! I hope to be able to provide an update that tells how everything worked out perfectly in the end; I'm cautiously optimistic that the replacements will work as advertised.*

Re the Rocna, which we purchased in February (it hasn't been our year has it!), the latest Practical Sailer talks about the Rocna quality issues and suggests that the 33 pounder is okay. Finally good news.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Ballard, WA
Vessel Name: Time Out
Vessel Model: CHB Ponderosa 42

I cannot say enough about the Garmin 740. I added their autopilot this summer and will add the 24mi HD radar when the 1984 vintage Furuno craps out. Fantastic customer support.
Flyguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

The centerpiece of my electronics is the 10.5" Garmin chart plotter. I really like it and want a plotter for 1 or 2 of my smaller OB boats. I'm like FF and the others that like stand alone systems. I have for years insisted on having two sounders otherwise I have no backups. And I like one of my sounders to be a fish finder showing a bit of "history". Sounds like your Admiral has been watching too much TV. This touch screen mania serves no purpose that I can see. Remind the Admiral she's not the commanding officer. Here's my nav stuff and I see no reason at all to spend more money.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sth71154.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	7465  
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
*I have for years insisted on having two sounders otherwise I have no backups. And I like one of my sounders to be a fish finder showing a bit of "history".
* * * ** I do the same thing, Eric. My NorthStar* has the fish finder & the Standard Horizon is set to record the depth below the keel for skinny water navigating.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 12th of September 2011 09:32:26 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	standard horizon.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	7466   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish finder.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	7467  
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

Keep posting guys....I haven't sprung for a chart plotter or radar yet. Winter project. Pretty sure it will be Garmin though based on my past experience.
Eric- think sounding line, marked in fathoms tied to lead weight.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
Guru

Eric.....you certainly are a functional-minded guy. *Your helm looks great,...serious equipment built for serious cruiser, but I can't quite make out what that is in the center (red arrow) with the cover over it. *BTW, what's missing from under your helm wheel (other arrow). *

-- Edited by healhustler on Monday 12th of September 2011 11:59:50 AM
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #32
Guru

husler,

I'm flattered that you have noticed such details about my boat without telling me to make my bed. The thing ahead of the compass is the radar indicator. The hole under the helm is where it was before I raised it the obvious amount. There's other things strange about the helm station for you to comment about if you wish. And I'm not talking about the wood under the seat. Gets me up where I can see where I'm going. Most boats fall short on this score. Notice the sounder with big enough digits to see at a very quick glance while you keep your eyes on "the road".
Old 09-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:The thing ahead of the compass is the radar indicator. The hole under the helm is where it was before I raised it the obvious amount.
* * * * ( Still laughing) Eric: Do you realize how much fun I could have with that statement?

********* Please don't ask me "why" as I refuse to make my quip. (Still laughing!)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #34
Guru

Sure glad you're halving such a good time laughing but I don't know what on earth your'e laughing about. This is like being sober when everyone else is high. And OK I won't ask why.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Sure glad you're halving such a good time laughing but I don't know what on earth your'e laughing about.
I sincerely apologize, Eric. I am not, however, going to explain what my first thoughts were when I read your post. Again, my apologies. I was rude, impudent & clearly out of line.

:devilish:
Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

I sure like the Garmin 4200 series I have the 4208 it comes with the hook up for two cameras I now have a backup reverse image camera and one in the engineroom.

I opted out of the touch screen because I love to fish and don't always have time to wash my hands before touching the screen. I just couldn't imagine fish scales all over the screen.

The stuff is plug and play. Hook up is a breeze.

I like it.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Me too!! *I have the 4212 and love it, but no touch screen. * We have touch screen everything at work and from experience know that dirty fingers make a mess of the screen. *Even hand lotion or anything you touch,*I also fish and crab,*ends up on the screen. *

For the "white glove" skipper it would be ok, but for me it would be like wearing a tux to the beer garden at a football game.
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #38
Guru

What's the purpose of the touch screen? Must make it easier to navigate somehow. It looks to be just a new thing to get popular (new things are instantly popular in our culture) and sell more gadgets. In the workplace touch screen would be a great disease transmitter. Don't even need to cough on people anymore** ....just work. I assume in this day and age you must use computers to work.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
Guru

I wondered about this too, Eric. *But when I witnessed the ease by which my Admiral began to work with her I-Pad, and then later, her I-Phone, I saw for myself that she was learning more easily, and actually enjoyed (instead of dreaded) her relationship with these devices. *I view touch screens as just another feature that can go wrong, but for her, they are a way she can integrate with a machine. *Each time she sees it respond to her, it motivates her. *When she pushes keys or buttons, it's often the wrong one, she doesn't see response or perhaps a response she doesn't want, and she doesn't know what to do next to change the effect. *She looses patience and pushes other buttons, and quickly gets lost.

**It seems as long as she gets response on a touch screen, she feels in control. *If she makes the wrong selection, somehow she garners the patience to undo it and start over. *Frankly, I'm delighted about this, cuz now she's more excited about a new electronics suite than I am. *If she wants to spend the extra bucks so she can touch the screen, I won't argue. *I just say "yes dear, if you insist".
Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #40
Guru

Thank's hustler,

Yea......everybody just seems to like them. Perhaps we're a little closer to electronic sex. I've got an i-pad but havn't used it yet. I'm maybe a little motavated now.