Yamaha 2000 generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie mac

Veteran Member
I am looking at a Yamaha 2000 generator to power the ac side of my electrical . it has a continuous power of 13.8 amps and the only concern I have is air conditioning which is a 7000 btu system that needs a max of 7 amps. Has anyone used one of these to power there boat.

The real issue is will that generator start it. The answer is- probably. If not you can usually add a soft start kit that will help from Dometic (expensive) or Supco (cheaper but probably not as good).

David

I agree with David. I couldn't start my 5000 btu unit with a Honda 2000 until I installed a Supco. Now I can start and run it on a Honda 1000. It takes only about 600 watts to run it but over 3000 watts to start it without the Supco.

I think a lot of newer air conditioners are coming with soft starts installed. If I was you I'd give it a try. If the AC won't start, install a Supco.

Might not need either soft start device. But no way to tell without trying it. We don't know how many startup amps the AC requires, and we don't know how good the Yamaha is at handling a surge. Might be pleasantly surprised.

Just an additional thought, you may want to put the fan setting to manual first, that way it spins up first and then engage the compressor, this way both are not surging at the same time. Once running keep the temp down low so it doesn't cycle on and off as well.

One thing to look out for is that the 2000 watts is for surge only. The continuous operating load design is 1600 watts. Two of these units can be tied together to create a capacity of 4,000 watts surge and 3200 watts continuous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom