Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Treasure Coast, Florida
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: 1980 42' Hatteras LRC
Y Adaptor Question

Hi, We bought a reverse y adaptor that plugs into 2 30 amp shore outlets. We then plug our 50 amp cord into the adaptor. Our first try has been unsuccessful. My hubby thinks it may be the quality of the power from the shore. The light on the adaptor that lights up when the power source is good does not light up. If you have used one of these adapters how much success have you had. Have you had trouble with the quality of the shore power? Thanks.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The adaptor hopes the dick is wired with 2 individual legs of 120V that it can stick together to create 240/30A

Sounds like only one leg is on the dock , a power hose plugged into a different receptacle MIGHT give the other leg.

How ever you will still be limited to 30A per leg.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I hope to upgrade to a 50 amp service soon so I'm interested in other's reports as well.

I'm sure the adapter works fine...I'm also pretty sure many marinas are wired correctly but I'm afraid many aren't.

A wild assumption would be that the nicer docks and power posts are OK and the $20/night marinas with rickety docks might be hit or miss.

Without checking the power from the post...hard to say what's going on.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks. The captain is reporting a problem to the marina office today. I have my doubts we'll have a resolution before we head home. Its a nice clean marina and not very cheap so hopefully they'll respond quickly. I'll let you guys know.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly57 View Post
Hi, We bought a reverse y adaptor that plugs into 2 30 amp shore outlets. We then plug our 50 amp cord into the adaptor. Our first try has been unsuccessful. My hubby thinks it may be the quality of the power from the shore. The light on the adaptor that lights up when the power source is good does not light up. If you have used one of these adapters how much success have you had. Have you had trouble with the quality of the shore power? Thanks.
A reverse Y requires that BOTH the 30 amp legs be hot at the same time BESURE both 30 A breakers are on
Loose connections will also trip it

Larry
lhemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It didn't get resolved before we had to leave. We have someone taking care of a few things while we're gone. This is one of them. He suspects it's something to do with the post as the wiring is old.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

FF probably has the answer. Both plugs on the dock are most likely on the same leg. This can be so even if they are on different breakers. Measure the voltage on the dock between the hots on both receptacle. If they are on the same leg the reading will be zero. Each hot to ground should be 120 volts. If you have multiple receptacle to chose from then measure between the hots until you see 220 volts.

Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote