Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
Sorry to hear about your issues Don! I hope it did not spoil your trip.
Thanks Jennifer. It did keep us off the anchor. After planning and setting aside the time (not to mention the expense) to anchor in some of the more remote islands, it is a little frustrating being tied to a marina, waiting for shipments, and being tied to a Marina again. It is no fun being at anchor with a generator running full time. In fact, I will not do it.

If you saw the blog for the trip, we missed many beaches like the one at Great Guana Cay. That is a bummer. However, we still have managed to do some things. We are at Man-O-War Cay for 2 nights. It is one of our favorites. I will walk over to Lola's bakery in the morning for fresh, hot cinnamon rolls. It is just that we could be on a mooring ball not tied to a dock.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Moonstruck, I'll be searching this thread in about a year when I get to my inverter charger. I really did like their inverter/charger combo's but maybe I'll not go that route. Sorry it buggered up your trip.

swampu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Thanks Jennifer. It did keep us off the anchor. After planning and setting aside the time (not to mention the expense) to anchor in some of the more remote islands, it is a little frustrating being tied to a marina, waiting for shipments, and being tied to a Marina again. It is no fun being at anchor with a generator running full time. In fact, I will not do it.

If you saw the blog for the trip, we missed many beaches like the one at Great Guana Cay. That is a bummer. However, we still have managed to do some things. We are at Man-O-War Cay for 2 nights. It is one of our favorites. I will walk over to Lola's bakery in the morning for fresh, hot cinnamon rolls. It is just that we could be on a mooring ball not tied to a dock.
I will go look at your blog! I was subscribed and getting notified of new posts but I must've gotten unsubscribed somehow. That does sound like a major bummer.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #24

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
About 5 years ago I ordered a Freedom 30.
The UPS driver literally dropped it at my door, resulting in a bent housing and plastic pieces rattling around inside the unit. I put in a claim and was promptly shipped a replacement. This time I met the driver at the truck...he was trying to kick this heavy carton into the cab. I took it from there.

Both units have been working flawlessly ever since.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
" AL1 means on the display "

I belive the code is showing that the heavy charge load is not on the no 1 terminal of the charger. Ie if your batteries are being charged via the no1 terminal on the unit the charger will at some point " forget " to charge the no 2 or no 3 terminal if them loads are higher. Usualy changing the feed lines so the heavy load is on the no 1 terminal will fix the deal.

However there is a fuse in the charger that can drop out from the positioning of the loads if they where place wrong to start with and for what ever reason Xantrex just dont seem to care. They send a new unit out at a "waranty price" for the fix.

I run two true charge 40s and well I had an issue and Arild Jensen told me about the issue with the chargers. But my units are now quite old and I have not had any issues since then.

Just a thought. Not sure if it is the same deal but could be.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
" AL1 means on the display "

I belive the code is showing that the heavy charge load is not on the no 1 terminal of the charger. Ie if your batteries are being charged via the no1 terminal on the unit the charger will at some point " forget " to charge the no 2 or no 3 terminal if them loads are higher. Usualy changing the feed lines so the heavy load is on the no 1 terminal will fix the deal.

However there is a fuse in the charger that can drop out from the positioning of the loads if they where place wrong to start with and for what ever reason Xantrex just dont seem to care. They send a new unit out at a "waranty price" for the fix.

I run two true charge 40s and well I had an issue and Arild Jensen told me about the issue with the chargers. But my units are now quite old and I have not had any issues since then.

Just a thought. Not sure if it is the same deal but could be.
Great info, and something I will check out. Do you think that means the inverter is toast or would it start up again? Ever think about being a Xantrex technical rep?

Well, the edit is because I have just tried your solution. I could tell the starting batteries were connected to the Number 3 terminal. The other two could not be followed easily. So, I switched them. No joy! Looks like the inverter is toast. If what you have stated is correct, Xantrex must have replaced many inverters because it is no where to be found in their manuals in the installation or trouble shooting sections. Oh, were it to have started up. I would have been a very happy camper even after nearly totally ruining a very expensive cruise.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
I would have been a very happy camper even after nearly totally ruining a very expensive cruise.
Hopefully when you look back on the trip, you'll think more of the conch fritters than X-brand. Love all the pics on your blog. Looks like a great trip!!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #28

Vessel Name: " Supertramp "
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
This is my Xantrex :
WEST MARINE Inverter at West Marine
this is a low cost modell but works with me 5 years very well.

Under way ( without Gen ),my port machine works with this inverter and my starbord machine for lights and other things.
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #29

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
We just replaced our charger last week and we looked at Xantrex because friends of ours had a Xantrex charger.... we decided to go with Pro Mariner because of several posts by trawler forum members.... we are very happy with the result.. and glad we chose Pro Mariner.
Delia Rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delia Rosa View Post
We just replaced our charger last week and we looked at Xantrex because friends of ours had a Xantrex charger.... we decided to go with Pro Mariner because of several posts by trawler forum members.... we are very happy with the result.. and glad we chose Pro Mariner.

This is too funny.

I had a 10 year old Pro Mariner charger go bad, so I decided to get the new Charles 40 amp unit.

Wouldn't have a pro mariner (well, just kidding)

The Charles is for the engine and gen batteries and is a backup to the Xantrex.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #31
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
This is too funny.

I had a 10 year old Pro Mariner charger go bad, so I decided to get the new Charles 40 amp unit.

Wouldn't have a pro mariner (well, just kidding)

The Charles is for the engine and gen batteries and is a backup to the Xantrex.
----------------------------------------------------

What I wonder, I see everybody talking about using inverters to power your boats, I'm assuming that includes your refers? Several of the inverter models mentioned are "modified sine wave." I read my owners manual for my fridge and the owners manual on two of the mentioned inverters, both say don't power refers with Modified Sine Inverters?

Has anyone had a refer fail since installing your Mod Sine Inverter?
LB
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Coot has a Victron (blue power). No complaints to date.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #33
Guru

Hmmm!!

Do you suppose maybe that's because yours is a "True Sine Wave" inverter???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	11743  
Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #34
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
I am told that Backwoods Solar Electric Systems will repair Xantrex equipment.I think they are certified Xantrex repair facility.Not 100% on that.

ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:37 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post

What I wonder, I see everybody talking about using inverters to power your boats, I'm assuming that includes your refers? Several of the inverter models mentioned are "modified sine wave." I read my owners manual for my fridge and the owners manual on two of the mentioned inverters, both say don't power refers with Modified Sine Inverters?

LB
We run full sine wave inverters.

We keep the fridges on DC, we just keep the AC breakers off. THe icemaker is AC.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
We run full sine wave inverters.

We keep the fridges on DC, we just keep the AC breakers off. THe icemaker is AC.
-------------------------------------------------
You shouldn't have a problem with the pure sine wave inverter. If your boat refer is AC/DC it is probably running on an pure sine inverter when in DC mode already.

The issue is with the cheaper "modified" sine wave inverters running an asynchronous or induction motor, which are common in kitchen appliances. "Modified" sine wave cycles like pure A/C but the wave is square which only approximates AC cycling.

It produces a lot of harmonic distortion, excessive heat and only around 75% of the rated performance. Many switching power supplies can filter some of it out, but it can reek havoc on induction motors.

It may even seem to work ok on some appliances, but your dancing with the devil!!

LB
Old 06-21-2012, 03:12 AM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Hmmm!!

Do you suppose maybe that's because yours is a "True Sine Wave" inverter???
Don't know. I'm almost clueless around electricity.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #38
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:

LB
My refrigerator is an AC/DC model so it takes care of its own power.

The microwave on my previous boat was fine with a modified sinewave inverter. The original microwave on HIGH COTTON was not. It would sometimes cook and sometimes not. You could tell by the sound.

I replaced it and the replacement works on the inverter but it makes a louder sound and cooks a little slower than on shore power. Nothing we can't live with.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #39
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Funny how people keep posting right after they say take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt...

Shows where the egos are...

The best advice I've read on inverters are go cheap...consider them a throwaway and carry a spare so the cruise will go on...

Battery chargers aren't far behind..every brand and every model has had issues or complaints from someone.

Electrical systems are so misunderstood by the average boater that this is one area where opinions and not facts abound!!!
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Although there is some redundancy and extra expense, weight, and wiring, having seperate a seperate inverter and charger means they are unlikely to fail at the same time. It also makes repair or replacement less expensive.

When we are talking about a piece of equipment that can interrupt a schedule or damage other components, quality and reliability are the way to go. This is not the place to "cheap out".

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote