Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale

What's your point? Because I don't recall anybody advocating:

"Lack of or improper navigational lights"

And there are LED bulbs that will center on the Fresnel lens like a filament bulb does. Marinebeam makes some as I recall.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #22
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Injured In A Recreational Boating Accident?|Help from Maritime LawyersLatti & Anderson

Our maritime lawyers have obtained payment for medical bills, past and future pain and suffering, past and future lost wages, impairment of earning capacity and other costs of a recreational boating accident caused by:
  • Drunk boating
  • Excessive speed
  • Lack of or improper navigational lights
  • Defective or missing equipment
  • Operator error or inexperience of operator
  • Hit and run
  • Traveling at a high rate of speed
  • Producing a wake in a no-wake zone
  • Overcrowding
  • Collisions with other vessels
  • Collisions with rocks, docks, jetties, piers and sandbars
  • Operating in poor and/or rough weather conditions
[*]Excessive speed
Reminds me of a conversation we had about running the Jersey ICW at 20-22 knots at night using a spot light to sweep the area in front of said vessel.
It appears this is in direct contradiction of that conversation.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Collisions with rocks, docks, jetties, piers and sandbars
Impossible.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #24
FF
Guru

I don't believe there is any legal risk involved if the light can been seen from two miles or more and the intensity is the same whether the lens has a LED bulb behind it or not.

The point is the light mfg PROVED to the USCG the light met the published requirements.

Any replacement bulb with the same US std. numbering would be accepted , however in the superior Euro lights the style needs to be copied as well. A US 1156 is a 1156.

Many better Euro bulbs have a long vertical filament and their wattage is marked on the bulb
So a Bosch light would be legal with an Identical bulb from another MFG.

TO me the hassle would come AFTER a crash ,say a jet skier slams into your stern at 50K some midnight.

The skiers liar for hire may get a court order to inspect your boat , and an UNPROVEN , home brew modification (LED bulb) will be brought up to >prove< your unproven modification was the cause of the accident (not the 2.5 blood alcohol ) and deaths. He will claim it could not be seen in time..

Reality might be your new LED bulb shows for 10 miles instead if 2 , but there is NO legal government proof.

How does one defend that?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The Navigation Rules specify required brightness for each light. Currently, there are no federal or state requirements for boat owners to utilize certified fixtures (fixture and bulb). This is a requirement only for boat manufacturers. So your lights have to be in compliance with the Navigation Rules. A properly constructed LED festoon of the proper color will out perform the filament it replaces and exceed the standard of the Rules.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
The Navigation Rules specify required brightness for each light. Currently, there are no federal or state requirements for boat owners to utilize certified fixtures (fixture and bulb). This is a requirement only for boat manufacturers. So your lights have to be in compliance with the Navigation Rules. A properly constructed LED festoon of the proper color will out perform the filament it replaces and exceed the standard of the Rules.
If not exactly the same shape...that may very well be debatable which is what FF first meant.

Even just a quarter inch difference in a small fixture would change sector angles ...how much depends but a shrewd lawyer is a dangerous opponent.

Heck I know most of you know a lot more than the rest of us...hopefully none of us will never have to prove it either way.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
[*]Excessive speed
Reminds me of a conversation we had about running the Jersey ICW at 20-22 knots at night using a spot light to sweep the area in front of said vessel.
It appears this is in direct contradiction of that conversation.
Bill
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
........... A properly constructed LED festoon of the proper color will out perform the filament it replaces and exceed the standard of the Rules.
Yep.

Some forum members seem to get carried away when it comes to the "regulations" as opposed to the practical implementation of the regulations.

I have converted my navigation lights to LEDs and I believe they are compliant. If at some point some attorney wants to challenge them, I'll let my insurance company worry about it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
The Rules are very specific as to what the lights have to do and where they have to be; you either meet those specs or not. The Rules say nothing about how they are to be constructed. If you are worried about lawyers, worry about the law they will litigate against.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote