Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM   #1
Guru

City: Vermont
Rose Point's Nemo Gateway product

I've been using the Rose Point (makers of Coastal Explorer) Nemo gateway for a little over two years now, and have made a variety of posts here on TF about it. They formally released it a while ago, and I finally got around to doing a blog entry describing it in more detail if anyone is interested.

Adventures of Tanglewood: Rose Point Navigation's Nemo Interface

I have no affiliation with Rose Point other than being a happy customer.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Agreed, it’s a great product for getting all my nmea to udp for iPad or to CE software.
It’s taken a backseat in my setup as I went to all NavNet, that said I still use it regularly and it’s great for understanding what’s happening across your network.
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
Agreed, it’s a great product for getting all my nmea to udp for iPad or to CE software.
It’s taken a backseat in my setup as I went to all NavNet, that said I still use it regularly and it’s great for understanding what’s happening across your network.
Have you tried to see if MaxSea can receive the data via UDP? I don't know what they support, but the current data over UDP is apparently a wide used defacto standard.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:07 AM   #4
Guru

Good question, no I haven’t. I do know that CE logs the data so I may be able to regularly scrape the log and then parse. I’ve decided my whole logging idea has become a summer/in trip project. I do at least now have my TMP100 all setup.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

City: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Good question, no I haven’t. I do know that CE logs the data so I may be able to regularly scrape the log and then parse. I’ve decided my whole logging idea has become a summer/in trip project. I do at least now have my TMP100 all setup.
What about a Yacht Devices Voyage Recorder for logging?

https://yachtdevicesus.com/products/...corder-ydvr-03

Ben
haveaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #6
Guru

I hadn’t seen that before and looks like it would help me capture info but it appears to be all offline meaning you can’t do real-time analysis, a great example of a usecase I want to build for is looking at EGT in relation to RPM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
I hadn’t seen that before and looks like it would help me capture info but it appears to be all offline meaning you can’t do real-time analysis, a great example of a usecase I want to build for is looking at EGT in relation to RPM.
It might not be as sophisticated as you want, but I have done a bunch of real-time analysis just using graphs in N2KView. For example, when I was redesigning my ER cooling system, I had side by side temp graphs for outside temp and ER temp. You could do the same with EGT and RPM. I have a couple of N2KView pages that are just diagnostic and experimentation pages for whatever I'm obsessing over at the time.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 AM   #8
Guru

Good point although I have been trying to avoid buying N2K view as it’s expensive for something I’m questioning if I would use much (once my systems are dialed in). Although all that said I’m about triple over my original budget and couldn’t be happier.. At this rate I’ll likely be posting questions about how to setup n2kview soon

Have you used N2K mobile? That might be an interesting option but I doubt it’s as powerful.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:28 AM   #9
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Could you explain the role of NEMO in your NavNet environment please? I presume you have a TZT or TZ2T system, so perhaps NEMO is multiplex'ing in legacy 0183 gear? I'm curious because I'm planning a migration from my NN3D MFD12 system to a PC-based MaxSea/Nobeltec TimeZero (which I already run on my laptop networked with my MFD12 and love)...so I'm staying Furuno but want to do without an MFD. I have perfectly good 0183 gear (a/pilot, hdg sensor, GPS, depth, AIS/DSC) and only a little N2K gear (back-up depth; back-up gps). I can retain my current DRS4D radar & network sounder. I'm researching suitable monitors for my fully protected lower helm at the moment. I've pretty well settled on NEMO for its ability to get 0183 & N2K onto Ethernet.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #10
Guru

Today my Nemo isn’t a core part of the system but rather used to get nmea to the iPads and also to my backup nav pc which runs CE.
I made the TZT2 be the focal point in the PH and FB so they do the translation of Nmea to navnet. I don’t think Nemo could do that but I know there at TZ compatible usb dongles for both n0183 and 2k.

On monitors I ended up going with Dell 22” touch screens, works really well and if I ever get in the situation They won’t go dim enough etc I’ll just use the tzt, done a bit of night running and haven’t been a problem yet. They are also on arms so can be moved around, the starboard one can also be pulled out and display an appletv for my kid on long days when I don’t need 3 screens. It’s early days but I use the tzt for nav, the left screen for a zoomed out view and the right for radar overlay.

Attached is a picture of the ph remodel.

AC
Attached Thumbnails
FF8397D1-9344-4B88-8BBC-49899170E33C.jpg  
Arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Thanks Arthur C. Those Dell monitors look great, but are too big for my helm. I only have room for a 15.6" monitor, same size approx. as you TZT2 MFD.

I can confirm NEMO works fine with NavNet. NEMO exports data as TCP and/or UDP onto ethernet and NavNet/TimeZero accepts either/both.

Interested in why you chose TZT2 over TZT? Seems like lots of folks are doing this though I understand Furuno originally thought TZT2 would be more for smaller vessels, given built-in gps and sounder. Larger, brighter screen?
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I've had a Nemo Gateway on my last boat, and the new current one, and wrote about it earlier in 2018: Nemo gateway - easy NMEA networking for your boat.

I have used Coastal Explorer for years as well, and the Nemo makes it super easy to use wherever the PC is situated on the boat.

However, I am installing Furuno equipment on my new boat and have been experimenting with the Nemo and TimeZero on the PC.

The full system plan is to have multiple TZT2 MFDs, a NavPilot 300, and a DRS4D-NXT radar. I'll be using Coastal Explorer and TimeZero on two Surface Pro PCs depending on what mood I am in, along with SignalK and a bunch of other open source stuff.

I would prefer to drive the autopilot using CE or TZ from the PC.

I don't have the MFD or radar installed yet, but I do have the NavPilot 300 (which is a really nice AP BTW) installed and configured, but am having difficulties getting TZ to do anything with it using Nemo.

I know that eventually if I connect my PC running TZ to the Ethernet network that my TZT2's and radar will live on, that I should be able to create routes and waypoints on TZ and have the AP nav from that data (hopefully!) but I would also like a backup method of being able to use Nemo.

I can confirm that TZ can use the Nemo UDP stream to both send and receive NMEA data, and I see navigation/autopilot NMEA 0183 sentences arriving at the Nemo from TZ, but the auto pilot never seems to allow me to navigate to a waypoint. So I can confirm that TZ does work with the UDP stream at least for consuming what is coming out of Nemo.

I think there might be missing sentences or data from TZ -> Nemo, but I haven't figured out what quite yet. Still some additional experimentation with different combos of 0183 sentences. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?

CE -> Nemo -> NavPilot 300 works perfectly, which is not surprising since CE and Nemo are known to work together well.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Guru

On the Nemo browser, can you see the AP data coming from the TZ? I presume it's 0183 sentences from TZ to Nemo? Or is TZ able to send N2K PGNs? And is the AP on N2K? You might have to set up a translation from TZ 0183 to N2K. But I'm poking in the dark here since I've only used Nemo with CE on the PC side of things.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
On the Nemo browser, can you see the AP data coming from the TZ? I presume it's 0183 sentences from TZ to Nemo? Or is TZ able to send N2K PGNs? And is the AP on N2K? You might have to set up a translation from TZ 0183 to N2K. But I'm poking in the dark here since I've only used Nemo with CE on the PC side of things.
Yup, sure can. I validated that already. I'm seeing APB and VTG sentences continually from TZ. It is all 0183 sentences - TZ does not do N2K over UDP/TCP.

My understanding is that any 0183 sentence arriving at the Nemo via TCP/UDP will be converted to its matching N2K sentence, but I could be wrong. I don't see any options in Talker Options to actually generate autopilot PGNs for N2K.

With CE I agree - it just works, and works very well. Just thought I should at least try TZ with Nemo as I can see that being a use case.

I've attached some screen shots of the Nemo data and config.
Attached Thumbnails
nemo-autopilot.jpg   nemo-talker-options.jpg  
Old 01-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
Guru

OK, I think that's the issue. CE speaks native N2K PGNs, and is once of the few (perhaps only) nav software that does.

I'm working from memory (my Nemo is in a box in storage waiting for the next boat), but I think you need to go to the N2K section and look at generated PGNs there. You need to generate the AP PGNs, and I think that's where you do it. When you select the PGN to generate, I think you can then tell it where to get the source data, and that would be the TZ UDP port.

The page you posted I think is where you generate sentences to send out on that 0183 UDP port. You want to get the data FROM there, not send it TO there.

Hope this helps, and please let me know how you make out as I will likely want to do something similar down the road.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
OK, I think that's the issue. CE speaks native N2K PGNs, and is once of the few (perhaps only) nav software that does.
Correct. I've yet to come across any PC-based software that speaks native NMEA 2000. Most rely on a USB dongle or something else to convert it.

I've got the Actisense NGT, older Coastal Explorer USB N2K interface, Maretron USB 100, and at least two others I forget. Most of those are taking 0183 and converting it to 2000.

I was trying to see if the Nemo at least did what the above does - take 0183 and convert to 2000 for AP stuff. I know I can use one of the above to do this, but I wanted a WiFi solution as a backup.

Quote:
I'm working from memory (my Nemo is in a box in storage waiting for the next boat), but I think you need to go to the N2K section and look at generated PGNs there. You need to generate the AP PGNs, and I think that's where you do it. When you select the PGN to generate, I think you can then tell it where to get the source data, and that would be the TZ UDP port.

The page you posted I think is where you generate sentences to send out on that 0183 UDP port. You want to get the data FROM there, not send it TO there.

Hope this helps, and please let me know how you make out as I will likely want to do something similar down the road.
Yup, I went there too, just didn't post a screen shot. That's where I tried first, and went to see if I could manually configure the PGNs that are being generated to the NMEA 2000 network.

If you take a look at the screen shot below, the list of available PGNs to generate is extremely short, and does not include any auto pilot PGNs.

I tried choosing alternate devices to send as to see if the list changes, but it does not. It looks like a fixed list.

I'm wondering if this is done on purpose so that you have to use CE to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
nemo3.jpg  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #17
Guru

OK, if that's all that's on the PGN list, then I agree with your assessment. CE speaks native N2K so that goes right through Nemo onto N2K.

The only other way I can think of would be to connect one of the Nemo talkers to the NavPilot's 0183 input, and forward the sentences there. Then there is no translation needed. I had my NavPilot set up with both N2K and 0183. That way it would still work even if N2K was completely dead.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
OK, if that's all that's on the PGN list, then I agree with your assessment. CE speaks native N2K so that goes right through Nemo onto N2K.

The only other way I can think of would be to connect one of the Nemo talkers to the NavPilot's 0183 input, and forward the sentences there. Then there is no translation needed. I had my NavPilot set up with both N2K and 0183. That way it would still work even if N2K was completely dead.
I'm using a NavPilot 300 which is a newer product from Furuno, and does not have NMEA 0183. It is 100% NMEA 2000 which is super nice since I don't have to run proprietary cables from various bits and pieces around the boat.

My NMEA 2000 network will definitely be one of the more critical things to keep running on the boat. My last two boats have had very extensive networks including a "production" network with critical items, a "secondary" network for things that aren't as critical (temp sensors in the cabin, etc.) and a "test" network for new stuff. Same on this boat, so I'm not worried about N2K itself dying. More worried about Nemo dying, or CE/Laptop dying and having a secondary way to get AP stuff to the pilot itself.

I still have MFDs and several other things that can do it as well, just was trying to figure out if Nemo would too. Now that I know it can't, I will make sure I have one of the PC-to-N2K interfaces nearby in case of an issue.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
I think NEMO is a robust electronic NMEA conversion solution but I found the learning curve on CE to be fairly steep and the interface a bit idiosyncratic. Also apart from the free charting on CE it only supports C Map which I dont like for various reasons the main one being their upgrade policy.

NEMO doesn’t support Maretron N2K View because they want a dongle to convert it so you would have to run two NMEA/Wifi interfaces so while I would like to have N2K View running on my Ipad I think the solution would be too complex for me.

Has anyone implemented a combined NMEA/Wifi system or have any suggestions? I am addicted to Sonar Charts so my primary navigation app will be Navionics UFN.

Thanks

Paul
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGel View Post
I think NEMO is a robust electronic NMEA conversion solution but I found the learning curve on CE to be fairly steep and the interface a bit idiosyncratic. Also apart from the free charting on CE it only supports C Map which I dont like for various reasons the main one being their upgrade policy.

NEMO doesn’t support Maretron N2K View because they want a dongle to convert it so you would have to run two NMEA/Wifi interfaces so while I would like to have N2K View running on my Ipad I think the solution would be too complex for me.

Has anyone implemented a combined NMEA/Wifi system or have any suggestions? I am addicted to Sonar Charts so my primary navigation app will be Navionics UFN.

Thanks

Paul

It's more like "Maretron doesn't support [fill in the blank]". They only support their own devices.

I used Nemo + my boat's wifi to provide nav data to Navionics running on an iPad. It worked great.