Old 05-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
THe cameras I purchased direct from Foscam. BUT I had to buy the wireless router and I set it all up in my office and it worked fine.

Then I took it to the boat and the router essentially will not connect to the cameras nor the laptop reliably. There seems to be too much interference on the boat from other radio signals...So I will hard wire the cameras through to the pilot house and set up a new router up there.

The boat is about 70ft long and a flush deck motor cruiser so it is fairly big and the signal just may not travel well in this environment. I shall see when I set it up differently.

Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
THe cameras I purchased direct from Foscam. BUT I had to buy the wireless router and I set it all up in my office and it worked fine.

Then I took it to the boat and the router essentially will not connect to the cameras nor the laptop reliably. There seems to be too much interference on the boat from other radio signals...So I will hard wire the cameras through to the pilot house and set up a new router up there.

The boat is about 70ft long and a flush deck motor cruiser so it is fairly big and the signal just may not travel well in this environment. I shall see when I set it up differently.
Also, if there metal between the wireless devices, the signal is weakened big time. Many wireless devices are still wireless N which doesn't have the greatest range to start with. My PC marginally connects to our Airport Extreme router at 50-60 feet but there is some concrete obstructions.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote