Wiring 4 six volts to = 12 volts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taras

Vessel Make
Currently Boatless
Pretty basic question....I just want to be sure I wire my house bank properly.
I have purchased 4 Trojan L16 6 volt batteries and want to wire all 4 batteries together to make 12 volts.

I'm assuming I wire the pair of 6 volts in series to make 12V, then wire the pair of 12 V in parallel?

Your help appreciated!!

Taras

That would be correct.

There's a lot more to it than just getting those connections right from one diagram. Read a book on the subject. Nigel Calder's book is a good start.

I have purchased 4 Trojan L16 6 volt batteries and want to wire all 4 batteries together to make 12 volts.

I'm assuming I wire the pair of 6 volts in series to make 12V, then wire the pair of 12 V in parallel?

Your help appreciated!!

Taras

That is correct but the fact that you had to ask on a web forum leads me to believe that there's a good chance you might make some other mistake and endanger your boat or your loved ones.

You should educate yourself in boat wiring before attempting something this important or have a pro do the work.

Don't be afraid to ask or do. We all started off repairing and doing things at some point...

I didn't hire a professional pilot to take my first solo at flight school....even though it was dangerous.

Ask....and double check..if still uncomfortable I'm sure there's someone local that can look over your shoulder and help.

Also research fusing battery banks...seems to be the big thing now as ABYC is scaring everyone.

Battery Bank Fusing Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

If the OP is unable to follow diagram #3 then the OP probably would have trouble turning on the key to start his engine. :socool: Maybe we ought to give him a little credit for a) asking to confirm his plan and receiving that excellent link from MurrayM and Trojan; and b) for realizing that connecting the + and - on 4 batteries is not rocket science and has nothing to do with the vagaries of marine electrical systems. It is everything after the batteries he should study and learn!

Dave

Your help appreciated!!

Taras

Sometimes basic questions are the best questions. Old football coach years ago told me "it's the basics you think you know so well that'll trip you up every time". Great link Murray. :thumb:

One to thing to consider is try to pull your positive and negative from opposite ends of your bank.

Attachments

• IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 103
Thanks for posting that image Mark! I went looking for it a week ago and couldn't find it. I had it saved on an old computer that finally gave up the ghost.

Clean install :thumb::thumb:

Thanks! It was fun to layout and do. The inside of the box is epoxied and the whole thing has a brushless computer fan pushing in air with an exhaust to the outside. The batteries have been very happy in this setup for over three years. Toughest part was deciding what color the link cables should be (not positive nor negative).

Back
Top Bottom