Old 02-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #21
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Hello gents and ladies, I am getting close to rewiring the whole vessel. Tinned wire will cost a fortune and the non tinned stranded wire will be a much more affordable option. The boat had romex and old cotton wrapped wire before. I know a lot of responses will say to hire a marine electrician but I have no plan on doing that. All the wiring will be accessible and anything in a wall will be in a conduit. Now, has anyone rewired a boat using the non tinned stranded wire? Thanks Paul
Mate if you seal up the ends and any joins with liquid tape or another sealer, the use of non tinned wire will be fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
The cost saving for the wire is so small compared to the over all cost of the refit, I would use the best. Besides if you go cheap then you have to take the time to use the proper connections and shrink wrap which is time and money. You will probable spend more time and money going with non tin vs. tin. Also, I been told electricity is conducted on the out side of the wire that is why multi stand is recommended and the more stands the better.

Donít be cheap when it comes to electrical and make sure you meet ABYC as surveyors and insurance companies do check. We had an insurance required audit and 75% of his survey was on the electrical, which we had to bring up to ABYC standards, cost us about 3 grand, and 40+ hour of my time. So pay now or pay latter.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
............. Now, has anyone rewired a boat using the non tinned stranded wire?
No doubt many people who don't know any better have done just that.

If you want to do things the "right" way, you will use tinned, stranded marine wire and follow the ABYC specifications. If you're just trying to keep some old POS boat afloat, anything made of copper will work.

It's your choice.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
............, I been told electricity is conducted on the out side of the wire that is why multi stand is recommended and the more stands the better. ..............
You need to start hanging arouns with smarter people. For direct current and low frequency alternating current, the entire conductor carries the current. It's only as you approach microwave frequencies that the current is carried in the outside of the conductor.

The strands are for flexibility. You can bend stranded wire back and forth and it will be fine. Bend solid wire back and forth a few times and it will break. Try it yourself with a coat hanger.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #25

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
My only problem with un-tinned wire is it's refusal to take solder if it's not fresh and shiny...like when one needs to replace a trailer light that's been in salt water and the un-tinned wire is is black a foot or more up under the insulation. I can't bring myself to put a crimp connector on over that corrosion, and I'd really like to solder the new light's wires.

There is a solution - a wire wheel on the drill:

Now I can solder or crimp with confidence.

Never to my knowledge, have I had a problem with corrosion causing resistance on an established connection, or having that corrosion cause a loss of mechanical strength, so I'm not inspired to spend the extra on tinned wire.

When we rewired Big Duck, we used the wire from a retired 50' 30amp shore power cord for much of the job.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
This is where I bought all my electrical wires and connectors and found them very reasonable.

Genuinedealz > Marine Electrical Supply - Boat and Marine Electrical Connectors, Tubing
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Genuinedealz... got my stuff there too. Good to deal with.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Can anyone quote chapter and verse (AYBC or USCG) which states tinned wire is a requirement please? I did a quick search on the AYBC site and couldn't find any mention of tinned wire. As several members have mentioned, properly terminated non-tinned wire works as well and lasts as long as tinned wire. I suspect the tinned wire controversy is simply marketing hype to increase profits to the vendors. If I am wrong about this, chapter and verse please.
One thing I DID notice interestingly enough is there is no mention of the crimping tools you get with the 500 piece electrical lug "kit" but I would highly recommend a proper crimping tool such as a ratchet style.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Thanks guys, err, I guess. I found that my local engine parts supplier can order it in 500' rolls for cheeper than home cheepo can get the non tinned, I guess I would be a fool for not using tinned wire now.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #30
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Can anyone quote chapter and verse (AYBC or USCG) which states tinned wire is a requirement please? I did a quick search on the AYBC site and couldn't find any mention of tinned wire.
That's because there isn't one.

Oh... BTW, here is the thread with the discussion about tinned vs. not tinned:

Battery Wire
Old 02-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
My boat just passed survey with all new copper wire, not tinned.

Yes the wire was scrutinized by the surveyor closely and found lacking nowhere.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
My boat just passed survey with all new copper wire, not tinned.

Yes the wire was scrutinized by the surveyor closely and found lacking nowhere.
I'm sure you got preferential treatment because you're a mod.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #33

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I have the ratchet crimpers, but prefer the dimple crimp that is made by the non-insulated part of my pliers.

jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Can anyone quote chapter and verse (AYBC or USCG) which states tinned wire is a requirement please?.............
Just because something is not a requirement doesn't mean it's not a good idea.

I use tinned marine rated wire and cable because I want to do a first class job, a job that won't have to be done over at some point. Some folks are satisfied with less than a first class job and if they are happy, that's fine.

Usually, the difference in cost between using the "right" materials and something that will "get by" is pretty insignificant, especially when you consider the time involved in doing the work.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. jeffnick. Fair enough. If it works for you, great. You are obviously much more proficient with the dimple crimpers than I am. The same can't be said for the PO's of vessels I have had in the past. I feel I get more consistent crimps with the ratchet type and I find the ratchet type easier to use so it's each to his own.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #36
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman. Never said it wasn't a good idea just said it wasn't necessary. If one does a half assed job of termination it's still a half assed job, tinned or non-tinned wire. If Mr. swampu can purchase tinned wire cheaper than non tinned, bonus for him although I still feel a first class job with either type of wire will provide the same safety and service life.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Greetings,
Mr. jeffnick. Fair enough. If it works for you, great. You are obviously much more proficient with the dimple crimpers than I am. The same can't be said for the PO's of vessels I have had in the past. I feel I get more consistent crimps with the ratchet type and I find the ratchet type easier to use so it's each to his own.
I was an electronic technician by trade for more than 20 years and I carried the simple stripper/crimper shown in Jeff's photo above. I even wore out a few. Just as with any tool, skill has a lot to do with the final results.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Hello gents and ladies, I am getting close to rewiring the whole vessel. Tinned wire will cost a fortune and the non tinned stranded wire will be a much more affordable option. The boat had romex and old cotton wrapped wire before. I know a lot of responses will say to hire a marine electrician but I have no plan on doing that. All the wiring will be accessible and anything in a wall will be in a conduit. Now, has anyone rewired a boat using the non tinned stranded wire? Thanks Paul
marine grade tinned wire is far superior to other wire in a marine environment. There is a reason for the marine spec in regards to wireing
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #39
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. rwidman EXACTLY!! Mr. 45. There IS no requirement for tinned wire. If there is, please quote source. Re-read this thread again.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
marine grade tinned wire is far superior to other wire in a marine environment. There is a reason for the marine spec in regards to wireing
Yep... For greater profit for wire companies and to take advantage of uninformed boaters.