Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #1

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler
Wind Power

Does anyone use a wind generator for charging the batteries??

If so what have you got and how do you find it??

I am looking at wind rather than solar as I don't have too many places to mount panels

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Wind Power

Wind has 3 problems.

1.We usually go into a harbor for protection from the breeze and wind has crappy output till about 15K or so.

2 Wind has to be secured in a heavy breeze as the best protection from over speed is securing the blades.

3. Wind is noisy , all day and night the blades make noise , and some units will vibrate the boat. As a bonus the noise can be heard by the nearby boats too.

Yes it makes boodles of power , at certain times , the question is it worth living with?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I have an Aero4Gen. It is more of a feel good then useful. Go solar the output is many times wind even on cloudy days. If you go wind you need a large unit for it to be of any use.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Guru

We used a Four Winds for over 12 years of extensive cruising and I highly recommend a wind generator for cruisers. I also recommend solar panels. There are some excellent units out there and if I had a recommendation today, I would say it is the KISS. But you need to look at your requirements first before deciding anything. Simply adding a wind generator and expecting it to handle all of your recharging, you may be disappointed. If you are considering it as a supplemental to other charging, generator, engine, etc., then it does not become a concern. The charging system that I use may not work for you if you use a lot more energy than I do. Mine might be overkill for you if you use a lot less energy than I do. Before you ask the question you need to map out your energy use and then add the most efficient equipment to meet those needs. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I too have found them to be quite noisy, at anchorages sometimes even in marinas where for some reason folks have left them spinning, clacking, even though shore power is available?
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

When we sailed across the Pacific in the 90's we had a Rutland mounted on the stern on a pole.... it did give us amp hours... at the cost of comfort and sanity. When it was boisterous we typically shut the thing down as it screamed like a banshee!. I think it would be ok in the Caribbean as it gets a pretty consistent trade wind. It you need alt. power go solar.... and enjoy the tranquility we all go boating for... and your anchorage neighbors will thank you too
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #7

Hollywood

I would go solar however I don't have anywhere to mount one as canopies are all canvas

The Rutland is the one I was looking at as it is the quietest and most efficient of the lot.

I only have to keep up with fridge being the biggest load (90 litre), TV, radio and a couple of lights and the odd use of the lectrasan so the load is not high and I don't mind running the generator for a couple of hours a day but not all day

We have a lot of wind in this neck of the woods

Allan
Old 12-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

You can mount solar on top of your biminis or forward cabin top
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Wind Power

Allan, I started out with just engine charge and found it not enough while out on the pick unless running engine a lot. I added solar panels, a 11w for the start batt and 30w for the house bank, in addition to engine - that was ok until I converted eutectic to Waeco 12v for the frig. I then added an Airbreeze wind genny, which is quite quiet in operation, and does cope fine with the extra. I therefore agree with the others who suggested a mix of sources of charge, but I can do without a genny as a result. However, if you don't have room for mounting solar panels to augment the wind and engine outputs, then one alternative I came close to going for was just getting one of those wee Honda 4 stroke petrol gennys, but then you need to be careful re exhaust fumes etc. Although you can mount solar panels above biminis, take it from me, you have to take extreme care to prevent excessive chafing wear on the canvas. You could fit about one 80w (maybe more - several separate units maybe), on top of the aft cabin though, couldn't you? Mine are fixed to the aft part of my upper flybridge deck, which being a sedan is longer than yours, but the roof of your aft cabin is not much used except as a way up to the flybridge I would think.....?

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 5th of December 2010 05:22:40 AM
Attached Thumbnails
image109-2.jpg   image087.jpg  
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #10

Wind Power

Hi Peter

I have a small generator already and 2 alternators on the main engine
I have a large canvas awning over the rear deck / cabin and would not like to mount solar panels there as you can see from photo attached.
The wind generator seems like a good fix as I am not a great fan of solar panels although the price is coming down
I think i can get a wind generator on a post up behind the bimini on the flybridge
Just need to take some measurements

Allan

-- Edited by AllanY on Sunday 5th of December 2010 05:37:36 AM
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

Yes, see your point Allan, panels don't work that well in shade - cloudy conditions, yes, but not outright shade...that does seem to make solar not a good option for you. Does the small genny not cope with the frig and other stuff....? Silly question - obviously not, but what Im interested in is why not - so I know why it was I was very wise to not go down that way...? What type of genny have you got, and what is its output?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #12

Hi Peter

Yes the genny does cope however you need to run it for too many hours and the noise factor
It is a Yamaha 1000 watt inverter
With a 45 Amp charger
However not sure how much of the 45 amp gets to the batteries with regulation and dual feeds

Allan