Wind indicator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point if that is all in which one is interested but there may be some folks such as myself who are interested in both relative and true wind direction. Still, if all one needs is relative wind direction this unit seems to be a good value.

Good point if that is all in which one is interested but there may be some folks such as myself who are interested in both relative and true wind direction. Still, if all one needs is relative wind direction this unit seems to be a good value.

Calculating true wind from apparent is not all that hard and there us freeware on the Internet that will do it very quickly.

I think a company named Starpath is the one I have.

After 55 years of boating including a lot of sailing and 20+ years of flying helos over water....the water is a pretty good telltale for true wind in your immediate location.

After 55 years of boating including a lot of sailing and 20+ years of flying helos over water....the water is a pretty good telltale for true wind in your immediate location.

As a longtime floatplane pilot I know what you're saying, but it's not always the case. And what we're really interested is the speed.

So Marin have you chose one?

I think the clipper was the best value IMO.

As a longtime floatplane pilot I know what you're saying, but it's not always the case. And what we're really interested is the speed.
Make sure you review the specs then...and go with a wired system...some of the wireless have a delay as the remote info is sent in bursts to save power.

One thing I have learned about wind over water is the speed is always seems somewhere between land station and marine forecasts...it's direction follows the contour of the landmass surrounding the waterway....and knowing how it's going to affect me is the only important thing about it other than curiosity of how strong it really is once it gets above 40 or so....

I rather have predictability than measuring what I can see.

Last edited:
Marin,

You have not mentioned what you use for your primary chartplotter/nav system, but Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine and Simrad all have decent wind systems that pretty much plug and play if they are of similar series or vintage. In many cases, the data is also available on other system displays as well. Also, when it comes to connectivity, sometimes it is beneficial "having all the liars in the same room" so to speak.

Marin,

You have not mentioned what you use for your primary chartplotter/nav system, but Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine and Simrad all have decent wind systems that pretty much plug and play if they are of similar series or vintage. In many cases, the data is also available on other system displays as well. Also, when it comes to connectivity, sometimes it is beneficial "having all the liars in the same room" so to speak.

He has a Furuno Vx2 System.

He has a Furuno Vx2 System.

Looks like the this Furuno wind system would be just the ticket for the Vx2. Nice way to fill the space where the Loran lived I'd say.

31xLbwHMpIL.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion of the Furuno system. I'll talk to our electronics dealer about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom