Winch wiring problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RichardC

Vessel Name
Good To Go
Vessel Make
DeFever 44
Hi people, hoping to get some advice with a winch wiring ploblem I have. I'm replacing an older 3 post electric winch motor that had the earth wire attached to the rear housing. The new motor wiring diagram indicates that the centre terminal A2 is the earth post. The wires I have indicate an F1, F2 and A1 and I'm not sure were the A1 should go if I repeat what I had(ie: putting the earth back to the housing). Any help would be appreciated.

Windlass Wiring

winwire.gif

Timely helpful thread which confirms where I thought the wires go. I downloaded the Manual for the winch, you should too assuming it is a Muir, they just overhauled mine, the new motor has the same wiring markings.
Pardon the hijack, but the new motor terminal posts protrude below the bottom plate of the winch case, so I have to make a cutout for them,and another cutout in my mounting plate(1/4" plate on timber) on which the winch sits.

Thanks Scotte and Bruce for the replies. I am heading down to the boat shortly and will check out my wiring compared to the diagram. However I have three positive wires coming from solinoids that previously went to the three winch motor terminals with the earth to the housing. whilst the diagram provides earthing through one of those three terminals.

Richard, my Muir bill shows the Qld. phone number is 0755730888. Give them a call. Craig at Sydney office 02 99494084 is helpful, it`s likely Qld will be too.

I would earth (ground) to the terminal provided with weather proofing and o-rings you may not get a good ground from the case.

Most modern units have two terminals for direction and the third is the return (ground). You may not have needed the case ground on your old unit OR it may have had a built in solenoid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom