WIFI Router

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Does anyone know of aWIFI router that allows the use of an external USB antenna? I have an antenna I like but I want to make the signal available to all users on the boat.

I don't understand, if you have WiFi anyone with a wireless connection on their device ( laptop, smart phone etc ) will have a signal available for them. Are you asking about using a booster connected to an external antenna that will allow your WiFi a signal? If so just do a search on this site. it was a topic not too long ago.

Elwin

I'll give it a try. When we don't have a strong or fast enough connection with my Verizon smart phone and it's hotspot we try to connect with WIFI. Often we only have a marginal signal. I have connected to my laptop an Alpha 2000 USB external antenna. The Alpha does a great job of picking up distant WIFI. Problem is I now then need to share that boosted signal with the other users on the boat. My thought was instead of adding a router to my computer to share the signal I would prefer to connect the antenna directly to a router. Often my laptop is not aboard and others still aboard would not have the signal if I went the traditional way of a router feed from the laptop.

Your Alpha looks the same as what is in our Wirie AP wifi setup with a different antenna. The Alpha plugs into a access point via usb inside the Wirie AP box which broadcasts over the boat, works great! Not on the boat so I couldn't tell the make or model number, but Mark at Wirie could probably tell you, their support has been great! Snoop their website as it has photos and manuals. Boy it great everything talking to each other on the boat and my friends love it when they are close.
Marine WiFi and RV WiFi solutions: The Wirie and The WirieAP

Last edited:
Several of the Cradlepoint routers have a USB connection. We have been using an MBR 900 for some time now. But it's an older model. Chuck

Back
Top Bottom