Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
WiFi Extenders

Next month we are moving to a marina with weak wi-fi signal. Time to outfit Skinny Dippin' with a wi-fi extenter. What works? What doesn't? What's new?

Thanks!

Tom-

Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Our little $35 Alpha is incredible. We will often go from two sources using the laptop's antenna to over 20 with the Alpha. I have connected to sources over a mile away. For the money I can't imagine anything comparing. I would buy the company if I could. I'm using it right now, five bars with it one bar without.

My primary source is the Verizon hotspot on my phone and my grandfathered unlimited data (avg 22gig a month, yes!!)

http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
This is what we use. I get about twice the signal strength as an external laptop antenna. I think the system advertised on line use the same components for 2 or 3 times the cost.
Dave

Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 12dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 3.7-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP: Computers & Accessories
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I'm using a Rogue Wave with router. Cant compete with some others on price, but its an all-inclusive deal.
Welcome to Wave Wifi, the #1 Name in Marine Wifi, Yacht Wifi, Marina Wifi & Wireless Internet

It is very easy to setup and having a WiFi hotspot on the boat is convenient for multiple devices on board, including a WiFi enabled printer. The Rogue is a re-labelled Ubiquiti Bullet bundled with a user interface. I've had over 4 miles reception - joining the Washington State Ferries free WiFi service as they cross Puget Sound.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We have been taking our home Clearwire ISP with us to the boat. Plug it in, let it acquire the signal and it's business as usual for us. Less than $40/month so may buy a second service and just leave it aboard permanently.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
Our little $35 Alpha is incredible. We will often go from two sources using the laptop's antenna to over 20 with the Alpha. I have connected to sources over a mile away. For the money I can't imagine anything comparing. I would buy the company if I could. I'm using it right now, five bars with it one bar without.

My primary source is the Verizon hotspot on my phone and my grandfathered unlimited data (avg 22gig a month, yes!!)
Does this antennae have to make a physical connection to the phone? Can't tell from the information I can find online. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Does this antennae have to make a physical connection to the phone? Can't tell from the information I can find online. Thanks.
No, it's a WIFI antenna for the computer. USB connection, plug and play.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Daddyo- Can you post a link to the alpha you have?

Thanks JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
Guru

Here you go:

Amazon.com: Alfa 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi Network Adapter With Original Alfa Screw-On Swivel 9dBi Rubber Antenna: Computers & Accessories
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
I use a "Super USB WiFi Antenna 3" from C Crane.... does a fantastic job.

Super USB WiFi Antenna 3
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #11

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
This is what we use. I get about twice the signal strength as an external laptop antenna. I think the system advertised on line use the same components for 2 or 3 times the cost.
Dave

Amazon.com: Alfa Hi-Gain Omni-Directional Outdoor 12dBi Antenna - 2.4/2.5GHz 3.7-Feet long Weatherproof antenna With N Female Connector: Electronics

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP: Computers & Accessories
I have a similar setup except that I use the
Ubiquiti BULLET-M2-HP Outdoor 802.11b/g M2HP

mounted to the
Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408)

That assembly is then mounted up on the radar arch. A LAN cable from the M2 then goes down to a Linksys AP in a v-berth locker. The approach allows me to have multiple devices, laptops, phones, etc all sharing the same external connection. This works well, and has the benefit that I only have to change the M2's connection when I change locations. All of the other devices are associated with my Linksys AP.

I went with an 8dBi antenna so that I had a little more vertical beamwidth. I think this works better around here as many of the AP's are located well above the water on the surrounding hills.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Tom, we have one of these:

Amazon.com: Alfa 2000mw 2W Waterproof Marine high power Long Range Outdoor 802.11 B, G, N, USB wireless network Wifi Adaptor with Integrated 12dBi Antenna - Up to 150mps: Computers & Accessories

It seems to help. We put it in mainly for stops like Beaufort and Ocracoke. Where are you moving the boat to?
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One thing I have noticed from Jersey to Jekyll Island...sometimes the big marinas wifi is SO SLOW...no matter what antenna you have it can be frustrating. Wehave a verizon hot spot for those occasions.

At even some of the big, expensive marinas having the wifi extender was helpful because I could find a more usable connection from the surrounding community.

What seems bad is that travelling off peak season and still having slow connection problems. The tough times are during peak computer use times...first thing in the AM and from around 4-6PM.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I gave up on extenders and got a Verizon mobile hot spot. It works just about everywhere on the AICW and it's great to be underway and be able to use activecaptain.com to find the closest marina and read reviews. Or to stay in touch while anchored for the night in the middle of nowhere.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Guru

What we really enjoy using the wifi extender is the ability to stream video, movies, TV, Skype without paying extra for it or hitting the max 20gig limit.

I can understand that many don't need or want that ability...but as a full time liveaboard and extended cruiser it rounds out the living experience. Especially with family sand friends spread out over the globe.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
We have been taking our home Clearwire ISP with us to the boat. Plug it in, let it acquire the signal and it's business as usual for us. Less than $40/month so may buy a second service and just leave it aboard permanently.
+1!

We've had Clearwire for 3 years. Currently, it's feeding 7 devices and has been pretty reliable. Unlimited data, $40/month- all good. Plus, we can use it in many areas of Puget Sound while at anchor, on mooring balls, or at guest docks.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I gave up on extenders and got a Verizon mobile hot spot. It works just about everywhere on the AICW and it's great to be underway and be able to use activecaptain.com to find the closest marina and read reviews. Or to stay in touch while anchored for the night in the middle of nowhere.
That's what I finally broke down and got.
Now no worries about getting a signal or having to pay a daily rate or deal with a weak or slow connection.

Another important consideration is security. The free or pay for Wifi have no security. Don't use it to connect to a bank or other needed secure site. Even if the website has https, the connection from your computer to the Wifi server is not secure.
Check this out for more info on the security issues surrounding open Wifi
https://activecaptain.com/newsletters/2010-11-17.php
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Guru

Clearwire looks like a great deal but pretty limited service for those on the East Coast traveling the ICW...so it's usually back to a combination of the 2 until I can afford sat dish setups...
Old 02-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
Where are you moving the boat to?
Pecan Grove

My hope is to supply the passive POE with the wireless router and still be 12v compliant to run at anchor. So I think I am going to try this route. Tell me if it will work:

Ubiquiti BULLET-M5-HP Outdoor 802.11n M5HP

Black GMYLA 150Mbps Portable Wireless Router AP121U 802.11n AP/Support USB (1x USB, 1x LAN, 1x WAN) with 12V DC Jack (US Plug)

Engenius Outdoor High Gain 8dBi Omni Antenna (EAG-2408)

**EDIT** Nope... It will not. The router I was picking was POWERED by POE and didn't SEND it. So I opted for a small POE injector and I will use an older Cisco router I have.

Thanks for y'all help. When Bess' cell plan expires, we'll probably go to Verizon and get her a little jet pack mobile hotspot device.

Tom-
Old 02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Pecan Grove

Thanks for y'all help. When Bess' cell plan expires, we'll probably go to Verizon and get her a little jet pack mobile hotspot device.

Tom-
+1

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote