Old 02-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
+1
Oddly, my hotspot is not combimned with or connected to my cell phone. There was no discount for having both with Verizon so you could just go ahead and get it now or whenever you need it.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
This works according to some folks......

The WirieAP: Long Range Boat WiFi and RV WiFi

Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
I apologize if these two options have already been covered but we have used both a Cisco RE1000 and an Amped Wireless 600 mW. We're using the Amped Wireless right now & I think I like it slightly better than the Cisco product but that one served us well also. It wasn't designed for outdoor use and my "solution" of encasing it in a ziploc baggie likely didn't extend its life expectancy. The Amped product is happily (and dryly) situated under the flybridge forehead. It has omni antennas whereas the Cisco was very directional. Ultimately no matter what you do for range extension it comes down to how big the pipe is on the other end and often it is woefully inadequate. So you can have wonderful access to the shoreside router but if it is overloaded then you still don't have good access.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
Ultimately no matter what you do for range extension it comes down to how big the pipe is on the other end and often it is woefully inadequate. So you can have wonderful access to the shoreside router but if it is overloaded then you still don't have good access.
That's where it came down in my decision to bring my wireless home internet connection along with us. We already pay for the service and if it sits at home and doesn't get used or comes along with us and gets used the cost is the same. I've been using Clearwire for about 5 years as my ISP and am completely satisfied with it.

I find most public WiFi connections to be overloaded and slow.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
We got a nice discount with Verizon wireless for our hotspot...free hotspot hardware and reduced monthy payments plus the flexibility when not cruising to reduce it to 1 GB and only pat around $10 a month so we can travel with it if we leave the boat.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post

This is what we have on Rochepoint, works great. Even have wifi at the marina in the tin shed from my buddies house 1/4 mile away. Use it to remote access the laptop nav system anywhere on the boat and share between computers. Club members use it on club cruises, if I share my password
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #27
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I have a WirieAP for sale once I get home in a week or so. Works well, used about a week then my marina put a repeater right behind my boat.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #28

City: Stuart
What about WIFI extenders? I want to use my Ipad etc. wirelessly.
Konfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
This is what we have on Rochepoint, works great. Even have wifi at the marina in the tin shed from my buddies house 1/4 mile away. Use it to remote access the laptop nav system anywhere on the boat and share between computers. Club members use it on club cruises, if I share my password
I also have this and agree that it works very well.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Roberts View Post

Wow... $350 for the base model? OUCH! I spent less than $100 yesterday on antenna, Bullet, and POE injector (I am going to use an old Cisco router I have to convert to 802.11b/g). We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
Guru

Here is a link to our blog posts for the progression of our WiFi set up that we have been using for years. The original equipment still works great now but we have upgraded to the newer Bullet and the cost has been very low compared to off the shelf units. It does take a little set up time but nothing terribly complicated. Chuck
The Trawler Beach House: WiFi
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #32

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Wow... $350 for the base model? OUCH! I spent less than $100 yesterday on antenna, Bullet, and POE injector (I am going to use an old Cisco router I have to convert to 802.11b/g). We'll see how it works out. I'll keep you posted.
One thing you might check on your "old" Cisco router, is whether or not it will do automatic frequency/channel selection. When I put my system together, I spent $30 to buy a refurbished Linksys E1550-RM. When I connect the bullet to a marina's Wi-Fi, the Linksys will automatically choose a frequency that won't interfere with the bullet.

If you don't have automatic frequency selection, for faster data you may find that you have to configure the Cisco router's frequency manually after you connected the Bullet to a hot-spot.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Chuck View Post
Here is a link to our blog posts for the progression of our WiFi set up that we have been using for years. The original equipment still works great now but we have upgraded to the newer Bullet and the cost has been very low compared to off the shelf units. It does take a little set up time but nothing terribly complicated. Chuck
The Trawler Beach House: WiFi
Where do you think I got the idea from in the first place?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Well I tried an Island Time system with the bullet and POE and I could not get it to work, even with help.
The wirie worked frst time every time and was so much easier to install. To me it was well worth the $$.
To each his own.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #35
Guru

Fortunately, I work at the world's largest networking company. ;-) Help is just a cube or two away!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I had good luck with Island time...wonder if just a few months or so makes a difference in ease of setting up with their software...I bought mine last November and has worked great ever since.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral,Fl
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: 1990 Marine Trader DB
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I had good luck with Island time...wonder if just a few months or so makes a difference in ease of setting up with their software...I bought mine last November and has worked great ever since.
We've had the Island Time for over a year now and have been very pleased. We are full time liveaboards and use it daily. We had questions about setup and customer service was excellent. (our boat is Island Time but no connection to the company -- just a happy customer)
islandtimecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandtimecruiser View Post
We've had the Island Time for over a year now and have been very pleased. We are full time liveaboards and use it daily. We had questions about setup and customer service was excellent. (our boat is Island Time but no connection to the company -- just a happy customer)
I had several e mails with the owner. Then spent 2 hours on the phone with him. Everything on my laptop checked with what he was looking for however the system would not work. I was only able to get him to agree to a refund after I threatened to call my credit card company.
He tried but failed. That was summer 2011. Maybe he got some bad components, and I ended up with one. I don't know.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #39

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I had several e mails with the owner. Then spent 2 hours on the phone with him. Everything on my laptop checked with what he was looking for however the system would not work. I was only able to get him to agree to a refund after I threatened to call my credit card company.
He tried but failed. That was summer 2011. Maybe he got some bad components, and I ended up with one. I don't know.

Wow, that is a real bummer. I have been using a system from IslandTime for 2 years now. I work full-time from the boat so I decided to buy a second one as a backup. In my case the setup was painless and has worked from day one. Right this moment we have three PCs working through boat's network and have had as many as six. The only downside is when I am in those areas where I can not find a good WiFi signal. I currently use BBX/Beacon as my ISP and pay <$200/yr.

Marty................................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:45 PM   #40
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I've used Engenius wireless bridges and access points with power over ethernet at remote sites and they work pretty well as long as you leave them alone. That is the general problem with wireless bridges. I've looked at all the available solutions and the Wirie is about twice the price of a wireless bridge, omnidirectional outdoor antenna, antenna cable, ethernet cable, and a cheap wireless router. However, the WirieAP seems to be a pretty tightly wrapped product that solves one problem with most off the shelf internet products, the Wirie has a single 12VDC connection. The powering simplicity, low power draw, and one box doing it all is worth the additional $175. I was about to cobble a system together since I have done it before for remote site clients. After seeing the Wirie, no more collecting parts, this is what I am going to use because even my wife will be able to set it up.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote