WI FI unlimited?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One inexpensive option that may work for some is the hotspot we just started using through Ting wireless. They offer a hotspot on the Sprint network for $25 per month for 30 gigs. We have lousy wifi at our marina and we have a wifi camera on the boat, so the hotspot function on our phones wasn't an option to monitor the boat when we are not there. You have to buy a Franklin hotspot from them, which I think was around $30. It comes with the SIM installed. The SIM will not work in other devices, it is somehow tied only to the hotspot supplied by Ting. The cell signal in our slip isn't great because of a nearby hill, but it works well enough to stream Netflix. Works even better once we are out on the water. As always, your mileage may vary.

We have a completely unlimited hotspot plan from www.wirelessbuy.com. You buy the router and it’s t-mobile for $79/ month. We use anywhere from 30-80 gigs per month without trying hard. It travels with us from NJ to FL and on the boat. The router can handle up to 10 devices and provides 2.4 & 5.4 GHz logins. No clue if it works in Canada. Never got there to test it.

Last edited:
For those of you getting into the OTR service, or others on the ATT network, please let us know how it works out. Thats the only network worth looking in to for SE Alaska, but ATT doesn’t have true unlimited plans so I’m looking for a good reseller like OTR. Our 7 year old is on her second hour of streaming PBS since getting home from school today, hence our need for unlimited data.

For those of you getting into the OTR service, or others on the ATT network, please let us know how it works out. Thats the only network worth looking in to for SE Alaska, but ATT doesn’t have true unlimited plans so I’m looking for a good reseller like OTR. Our 7 year old is on her second hour of streaming PBS since getting home from school today, hence our need for unlimited data.

Do you mean home, as in a house or on the boat? If a house then the streaming should not be an issue if on U-Verse, Infinity etc.

If on the boat, are you in a marina or moving. If in the marina could they offer "hard wired" services?

Boat is home. They don’t offer wired service here so in marina or on the go would be the same as well.

Do you mean home, as in a house or on the boat? If a house then the streaming should not be an issue if on U-Verse, Infinity etc.

If on the boat, are you in a marina or moving. If in the marina could they offer "hard wired" services?

So its not unlimited at all :facepalm:

It seems that most providers offering an 'unlimited' plan limit them somehow, and sometimes I feel like the only one who gets annoyed with that.
giphy.gif

We have a completely unlimited hotspot plan from www.wirelessbuy.com. You buy the router and it’s t-mobile for $79/ month. We use anywhere from 30-80 gigs per month without trying hard. It travels with us from NJ to FL and on the boat. The router can handle up to 10 devices and provides 2.4 & 5.4 GHz logins. No clue if it works in Canada. Never got there to test it.

I'm on the T-Mobile plan, and as far as I can tell, it's one of the few who actually offer a truly unlimited data plan. Frankly, I'm happy to give them my money.

Folks, the data is still unlimited, they just slow down how you receive it. The amount you get is still unlimited.

My Verizon prepaid slows to dial-up speed if I exceed my 15 gigs of 4g LTE. It slows down other times too. Not sure if it's weather or traffic or reception. I hang near the edge of civilization. That's probably it, civilization challenged.

Do you guys ever just sit out back and watch the world go by?

Wifey B: We can't survive without being connected. Must have internet at all times and phones and television. :D

Combination of generational (and those younger than us are even worse) plus business needs plus we just aren't wired that way. :blush:

Doesn't mean we don't enjoy nature and the beauty around. We love watching the sunset on the deck while watching a tv show we have on the DVR. :rofl:

This is an interesting thread. Does anyone know how the coverage is in the more remote areas of the Bahamas? Do they use btc towers?

To the prior posters, if you need LOTS of data, Leo (his company) is the MyIsland cited owner and just a super guy.

However the real deal is about the data. He has MANY users over a Terabyte per month, and several in double-digit Terabyte use. NO LIMIT means just that.

To the above, the Bahamas hotspots use a little-activity band on Batelco's system; that light use means little congestion and faster speeds. With the Dorian damages, he also now has roaming arrangements with Aliv (which is fully operational in all the damaged areas), so no interruption in service, a blessing in the early times in Abaco and Freeport. Back to the US...

The same is true of his arrangement with ATT. Because the demand is so high, I've not gotten my beta (I'm a US beta; his first attempt did not go well, and he never took it to market, but he feels he has those issues solved in a similar fashion as his Bahamas setup) chip yet, but I look forward to beating it up as I travel.

So, to the original question, yes, indeed, it's unlimited data. And, like everyone else on those supposedly unlimited plans, I was throttled on T-Mobile last month, with a third still left, because hotspot use is very different, somehow, to the mobile carriers. I could use the internet to my heart's content if I was willing to do it on my phone, but not THROUGH it. 20G is a great long way from unlimited...

It seems that most providers offering an 'unlimited' plan limit them somehow, and sometimes I feel like the only one who gets annoyed with that.
giphy.gif

I'm on the T-Mobile plan, and as far as I can tell, it's one of the few who actually offer a truly unlimited data plan. Frankly, I'm happy to give them my money.

Agree and it is not throttled like other plans.

Agree and it is not throttled like other plans.

Not so much. I'm on unlimited, too (see comment above) and had throttling 2/3 into last month.

Unlimited is only your phone (and at that it's 50M, may have throttling due to congestion after that); your hotspot is only 20G...

I've been on wireless internet for about 10 years. I currently use: https://cyberonic.com/ about $120/month,

and it appears to be unlimited. I've used it for a couple years. They apparently buy time on major towers. You get a wireless modem, extended range antenna, and a sim to match one of the major providers. Mine is AT&T, but they have Verizon and others. In theory it's for one location, but mine works on any AT&T tower.

I stream tv as much as 10 hours in a day, download charts, updates, software and could be using 50gb a month or more in the winter. The modem alone will work 15-20 miles from a tower and with the extended range antenna maybe more than double (no mountains in the way). But the antenna is directional and needs repointing when moving and sometime won't keep a connection in Gale Warning seas. In the PNW, I run 25 miles out and have no trouble getting a signal if there are towers.

I had Verizon in the past and got good connections in the US and Canada, but their unlimited is a pipe dream. I have a Verizon modem that I activate when traveling in poor coverage areas, but limited to about 10gb/month. I also had satellite, in theory one location, but bought my own auto antenna and could use it anywhere except the extreme north. But their unlimited was not as advertised. Although between midnight and 4am downloads weren't counted.

WE got the Island unit and installed it in mere moments.

Fantastic to join the world faster than dial up.

Only problem is it does not allow being logged in on this board.

Will have to call for help , I am not a computer guy.

Are you speaking of the IslandtimePC setup? Or My Island WiFi?

Either way I can't see why you could not log in; both are mere transfer devices, and logging in here isn't sensitive to what means you reach the site.

At the moment, I'm logged in via my T-Mobile hotspot, but had no problem with the MiFi hotspot, nor with using my ITPC setup on top of my mast (which fed my linksys router)...

Island wi fi, kept mucking and I think I am OK.

At least I am on now.

I use a computer but have as much interest in them as the bride has in desmodromic valve actuation.

I use a computer but have as much interest in them as the bride has in desmodromic valve actuation.
Whoa, another fellow Ducati enthusiast?!?

As for content contribution, we have a pre-paid Verizon unlimited plan and have been happy with the performance. SIM card slips into our cradlepoint modem and that is connected to our wireless router.

Whoa, another fellow Ducati enthusiast?!?

As for content contribution, we have a pre-paid Verizon unlimited plan and have been happy with the performance. SIM card slips into our cradlepoint modem and that is connected to our wireless router.

Bong, have you seen any throttling down with the Verizon plan?

Make sure you check the "Remember Me" box during sign-in. I had problems with my cellular router (something about "too many redirects") until I did this.

have you seen any throttling down with the Verizon plan?
So far so good, signal strength was roaring while we were on Lake Union. But at our permanent slip it dips down between 5-10 Mbps. No throttling down and we've had this account for 11 months.

I got a $49 Boost mobile burner phone from Walmart this year just for data. 30gb tethered data for $60 a month, pay as you go. Can tether up to 4 devices at a time, no throttling, and I was getting 20mbs speeds.

Had a tmobile hotspot for years, but it was slow and cost twice as much for the same amount of data.

"Make sure you check the "Remember Me" box during sign-in. I had problems with my cellular router (something about "too many redirects") until I did this."

Will try this next , as well as emptying caches and cookies , another suggestion.

WOW! Went back to ATT and was able to log on here without being kicked off in a 2 count!'''Thanks!!!!!

Yes, 1966 Ducati Scrambler was a past great ride , far lighter than the Oriental bikes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom